4 ways to utilize your neighbor City State

If you DOW CS immediately (turn 5-10etc) and keep units visible to them will they still build couple of workers or switch to military?

Yes they will. Moreover, they will keep a worker safe garrisoned in the city doing nothing. I.e. wasting hammers on something absolutely useless at that point. Have you noticed AI is slightly ehm... dumb?

Edit: This strategy is more based around SP rather than MP. I agree with you that MP (quick speed) is a completely differnt game. You don't see this in MP games or LPs because of time factor yes. Also alot of NQ players do not like to use such tactics. However I believe this could be useful in MP games. Like you say, nobody has shown it for MP so the jury is still out. I was saying I could see some use for it, not that it is the way to go for MP games. However I do see it being very strong in my SP games which is what this strategy suggests. You cannot deny that Glory7 uses this strategy to achieve a very fast Domination win on SP. Also remeber this strategy is not just a CS bootcamp. If you have one close by, by all means use it. However it is also used on the AIs city. Instead of capturing that city or Cap right away you XP your CBs or XBs till you have 2 with these promos.

NQ games Vs. Public Pick Up Games: We cannot even compare these two really. The players that play NQ games are way ahead of just anyone who is playing a public game. I will steal any nearby civs worker if unprotected in an MP game and in public games this can crash the game on turn 20! NQ games tend to be more of a group thing which is what NQ is. I am a member myself and have played quite a few of them. They tend to play for a slow build and very peaceful till turns 100-150. However I have seen early rushes in NQ MP games too... just not as often. (IMHO) These games are more about Diplo. It is real life Diplo in these games and I have seen many great wins by way of Diplo in NQ MP games. Even on some MP LPs on youtube you can see some very crafty manipulation of players. Players have built up friendships over time and they tend not to kill each other as much as someone who they do not know. Heck, even if they do not know you they are very good in the chat box to get things they want to have the edge. I've actually played it both ways in NQ and Public games. Sometimes I just all out warmonger and sometimes I sit back and chat with everyone and watch them do my bidding. Sometimes it feels like collusion but you can do nothing about this really. They have tried to block this with some rules like: You are not allowed to vote for another player as WL and such. However, you cannot stop the heavy edge to the MP Diplo game (IMO). For example... some games, mostly in public I have seen triple DOWs!! I do not believe any player can stop a 3v1 attack!

However I cannot deny that you are way ahead of me in knowledge of this game so all of my points may not be valid! Last question if you read this... why did you change your pic? Is it because Hockey season is over? I miss the pic of the Habs already.

Spoiler :
I rather stay anonymous :)

Glory7, with tommynt, are probably the 2 best overall players(both sp/mp) that i never encountered. These guys are true tacticians and it's hard to see fails in their play. Never i will say that Glory7's post is junk. I only refered to mp. In sp games i can see this strategy being applicated more often.

But if you take a look at some situations it's certainly not always the case. Imagine if the only close cs is a friendly mercantile one. Are you going to stay at war with this cs when you know that you gonna need it in mid game when your cities will explode in population(or number)? Surely not.

Like every strategies, they need to be taken with a grain of salt. Also, like i said, these guys are so good that anything they do looks pretty easy on paper when, often, it's not the case for majority of players.

I completely agree about your comparison of Pubs/NQ games. If you can avoid pub games, do it! :lol:

And finally yes, the season is over. Time to pass to other things...though it's a huge day for hockey today with the transaction limit day(July 1st) so there is a full coverage of this here in Quebec....we do love hockey very much so 80% of sports news are related to hockey even in summer :eek:

Spoiler :
Why? Are we at least friend? :)

When should you switch archers to combosites. At what combat strenght of CS is archer one shotted by CS?
1) CS+archer
2) CS + CB
3) CS + CB + GALLEAS

What about random spear/pike spawned by CS? Do you mainly bully city states with river to prevent suprise attack. By the way AI(human too) can shoot twice with archers from city. If city has archer and new archer is build in city they both will shoot you and other of them is teleported 1 tile. Lost several units this way.

I've been living with the rule of thumb that as long as CS of my unit is at least 1/3 of that of CS of the city & garrisoned unit. Being on rough terrain is favourable & highly advisable. If there's a galleas as well it's usually deadly but the same rough estimation applies.
The main problem occurs when the city is building/buying ranged units and can shoot twice on a same turn. Doesn't happen very often with CSs but it's fairly common while sieging a city of a proper AI nation.

Top Bottom