Seven Years War....HELP!

jbryant

Prince
I'm having very little luck finding information on the make up of europe at the beginning of the Seven Years War. I'd like to make a scenario that has both European and American theaters of battle (I don't think there is a way i could include India without making it unwieldy). Anyone have any knowledge or resource, most preferably a map.

In America, the war was focused between the 13 American colonies (still owned by the British) and the French in Canada in a dispute over the territory in the Ohio river valley. For your map the French would have Canada and the British the 13 colonies (and Nova Scotia, annexed at the Peace of Utrecht).

Europe is a lot more confusing. Prussia, Britain's ally, was scattered as a number of non-contiguous states throughout the Holy Roman Empire (and also in Danzig and a stretch of territory between the Nieman and Vistula rivers adjacent to the Baltic. Their territory around Berlin did not touch this but it did reach the Baltic by gaining part of Pomerania. One of the most important territories was the recently acquired Silesia, taken from Austria in 1748. Prussia also had East Friesland on the North Sea and Guelders on the Rhine. there are their major territories at the time and I'll try to find a map.

I believe France has all of the territory it has today with the exceptions of Nice and Savoy.

Austria is pretty much a big chunk of southern Europe. They had parts of modern day Croatia, Slovenia, Austria (duh), Hungary, Transylvania (part of Romania), Tyrol (part of Italy) and all of Serbia north of Belgrade.

I have no idea what you should do for the Holy Roman Empire. They have hundreds of states that are pretty much independent of each other. If you lumped them together they would be too powerful so I guess you should divide them into a few major states.

Anyway, I'll try to upload some maps for you to make it easy but I don't think I have one that shows everything.

Edit: Some maps

Here's a map of Poland

And a map of America

This map shows Saxony (on Austria's side) and Hanover (on Prussia's side)

I'd be willing to help you with just about anything you want. I think the history of Prussia is very interesting and that the 7 Years' War would make good scenarios for civ III and I'd be glad to help you. Anything to make it a reality.

For the American theater of operations there is a new book by Walter R. Borneman called The French and Indian War. You might be able to find it at your local library or through interlibrary loan. I read about it on my History Book Club flier a week or so ago.

Here's a map of Prussia, 1748.
Spoiler :

And Austria
Spoiler :

Austria didn't have Silesia when the war started because Prussia had taken it during the War of Austrian Succession. They obtained Galicia later so they didn't have that either but I think the rest of the map is accurate.

Thanks for all the great help, I'm going to be getting on the scenario itself soon. If you guys happen to know where to find a good map that has Europe to Russia and half of North America, I'm all ears(in this case eyes). My wife is pretty talented at maps, so I'll probably have her do it, but if you have any thing that's already done or a burning desire to do it, I won't say no!

Top Bottom