Mein Gott! A WW2 German FPS?

That doesn't sound like a good place for a melee button.

I know! I'll put it on the left mouse button! Melee builds are always better. Especially when other people use guns. Because the more shots you fire, the less powerful it is.

Your post goes from making sense (I also bind it to one of my left mouse buttons) to making none at all (at least when talking about RO).

I use the left mouse button for my boom stick. I usually play games where you can only have one kind of weapon (melee or gun) but if I have two, melee is usually on the keyboard. I tried to make a Fallout New Vegas joke thar.

Oh, I only have one of those old timey 2-buttons-and-a-wheel mice.

My wheel won't program to a usable function. All it can do is scroll, clicking does nothing in games and on the desktop simply brings up all my windows to choose from.

Clicking the scroll wheel button to use for grenades (its usual default bind in FPS games) is just bad design, since many mice don't have an easily clickable wheel (if at all). I tried it in one game for a while but I just kept switching weapons instead. So you're not missing anything.

Game was released yesterday and is awesome :D

Read the red underlined parts of the EULA, it is actually worth skimming through (unlike every other EULA). Especially the section on cheating :lol:

Spoiler :

Link to video.

They do care..!

I knew the maps were based on real locations, but not that they were so incredibly well done. Respect to the devs.

Utterly awesome:
Spoiler :

1. Grain Elevator
2. Gumrak
3. Mamayev Kurgan
4. Red October Factory
5. Barricades Factory "

Fallen fighters:

Pavlovs House:

Moderator Action: *snip*

Station:

Grain Elevator:

Some of the developers went to Stalingrad (now apparently called Volgograd) and toured the various sites and took lots and lots of pictures as well as digging into historical archives of photos. They were the first foreigners to be granted access to some of the locations too.
Relevant thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=63832

EDIT: Also the first patch is being released today!

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger
Tripwire Interactive President

First Patch Coming Today
Everyone,

I wanted to make everyone aware first off that we're hard at work addressing the issues that have been discovered since the launch. Additionally, we'll be releasing the first patch for the game today in just a little while. This patch will address among other things:

- fixing the day 1 unlocks not working
- spawn menu looping bug
- various crash fixes
- decreased AI MG accuracy for vehicle AI

To be quite frank with you it has taken us a little longer than usual to get an update out post launch. Without going into the boring technical details, the patching functionality built into UE3 is heavily geared toward consoles. So we've struggled a bit working out how to properly do patches on the PC, without requiring a massive download. Anyone in the beta remembers that every update for the beta was fairly large, and this is the reason why. We had thought we had all of this worked out before the final release, but that was not the case.

So rather than saddle you all with a multi-gig download for a small code patch, we've been slaving away on the patching system to get this issue resolved. Fortunately, it looks like we've finally cracked this issue, and will be able to deliver code patches to you all now without requiring overly large downloads.

So once again, you will see an update today, and many more to come. Thank you for your patience while we work diligently to get these issues resolved for you.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=64025

EDIT: Also an FYI: You have to stay to the end of a match for your stats to be saved. If you quit partway through or just as it ends they won't be.

Wondering what would happen if a T34 rammed a Panzer 4?

Spoiler :

EDIT: Today's patch:

September 19th Update - On Its Way
posted by [TW]Yoshiro @ 04:23PM on September 19, 2011
Bug Fixes
-Fixed a bug where players could spawn without a class
-Fixed a bug with auto reloading when using a manual bolt rifle
-Minor performance improvements

Level/Gameplay Fixes
Pavlov's House
-Added wall to block line of sight to one of the Allied tank spawns
-Allies now correctly get a forward spawn when capturing Zab's House
-German spawn protection was toned down to prevent Allied attackers in inside of the Voyentorg from being killed by spawn protection when objectives changed hands

Commissar's House
-Gave Allies 40 more reinforcements
-Default Allied spawn in more directly in line with Building 81
-Moved one of the initial Axis spawns back further from the Water Refinery
-Increased spawn protection and no artillery volumes for Allies
-Various cover fixes

Stats Reset Coming
posted by [TW]Yoshiro @ 08:51PM on October 03, 2011
So we planned on putting this press release out as soon as we put out the update that fixed the stats. But since the achievement "In B4 Reset" found its way into to public already, I'll go ahead and post this up here now so you guys know what is coming up. You'll likely see a modified version of this press release come out in the next few days when we release the update. And this is the current plan, but things can always change, so if something changes please don't come back later and go "but you guys promised you were going to do X" We don't promise, we let you know what the current plans/ideas are, but those can always change!

Red Orchestra 2 - The State of the Game

By most business measures Red Orchestra 2 has been a smashing success for Tripwire Interactive. Within 2 days of the launch of Red Orchestra 2 it had surpassed the lifetime revenue of the original Red Orchestra that has been selling for over 5 years. The pre-sales and launch week sales of the game broke all company records even beating out our hit game Killing Floor by a three times margin. And Red Orchestra 2 has quickly established itself as one of the most played games on Steam. But for all of this success we've not done as well as we would have liked in the most important area to us - the happiness of all of our customers. To put it bluntly the game had a rough launch. We've been working diligently since launch to get these issues sorted and have made great progress fixing issues with matchmaking, VOIP, and stability as well as improving performance. The final major area that we've been working on is stats, player progression, and ranking.

We believe we have all of the major issues worked out with the stats system and are rolling out an update soon that should address these issues. Due to the problems with stats and players either earning stats and achievements that they didn't actually earn or earning stats at many times the intended rate we are going to have to do a global reset of all stats for the game. This means all achievements, stats and player progression will be rolled back as if all players were new. This was not an easy decision for us to make, but one we felt we needed to do to preserve the integrity of the stats and ranking system, and to provide all of the players the best experience with the game over the long term. Knowing that there are people that have been playing the game for a few weeks now and will lose the stats for that time we are going to provide a special bonus to all players. For a limited time all players will earn double experience in Red Orchestra 2. Additionally, we going to give all players that own the game before the reset a special achievement called "In B4 Reset". Right now this is just an achievement, but we're going to be looking at ways to give special rewards to the players that have this achievement in the future.

Thank you to all of the players that have made Red Orchestra 2 a hit so far. We've got a lot of exciting things in store with free content coming for the game so stay tuned for news on that.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=68644

Patch Notes:

Spoiler :
Large Update Coming This Week
posted by [TW]Yoshiro @ 04:23PM on October 03, 2011
Hey guys,

It has been a few days since I last had a chance to talk with you. While I was out of town at a wedding, the team has been hard at work bringing you another update for RO 2. This will be a large update (several gigs in size) due to the art/level changes that have gone into it dealing with performance and graphical improvements (which will cause some areas on the maps as well as weapons/characters in some situations to look significantly better when not in the primary light source).

We've also been actively running the stand alone beta build of the game to identify and fix stats and achievement issues. If all goes well we believe we will have this wrapped up soon.

So in summary here is what you can expect:
1) Graphical Improvements in some lighting conditions
2) Improved performance in nearly every map
3) Stats/achievements systems fixed
4) Fix of the sound loss on map change (again... this time with feeling)
5) Several minor performance enhancements in code

At the same time we will likely roll out our next update of the SDK for those who have it, fixing a few more issues (the highlight being Play In Editor).

The timing of when this update rolls out largely depends on how our testing of the stats system goes in the beta build. When we push out the next update for it, we would appreciate your help hammering at it. See you on the front!

My stats finally broke on Sunday night :( Although oddly enough it kept my kills to deaths ratio. I didn't play for it for the stats and wasn't really worried anyway but I'm glad they are finally fixing it and resetting them since apparently too many people get so hung up on stats it affects their enjoyment of an otherwise good game.

EDIT: Patch is live woo!

Stats
-Fixed stats and acheivements being awarded when they shouldn't have been and sometimes not saving stats on ranked servers. This requires a global stat and achievement reset which will be happening soon.
-Fixed several number display issues in the profile menu and after action report
-Honor, class, and weapon experience are all currently doubled to help make up for stats lost to the reset
-A new achievement has been added which is unlocked simply by playing RO2 during the double xp for players affected by the stat reset

Gameplay
-Reloading can be interrupted by melee or switching weapons
-Fixed quick grenade not returning to the previously equipped weapon
-Fixed team wounding counting as kill
-Fixed kill assists not showing up all the time
-Fixed Countdown Time to Beat being always 0
-Fixed timers showing wrong numbers in the single player campaign
-Fixed tank AI being able to see through smoke
-Fixed tank cannon smoke shells not blocking any AI vision

Stability & Performance
- Major optimization pass on all maps should increase performance across the board
- Reduced Alt-Tab crashing
- Fixed post-processing preset resetting itself in the video settings menu
- Fixed glowing outline/rainbow colors around the screen for certain machines
- Fixed a bug causing all audio to cut out after a map change
- Graphical improvements to environments, weapons and vehicle interior - areas or vehicles/weapons not in direct sunlight now have working specularity which will help make normal maps more visible and textures to look less flat
- New Umbra release and optimization
- General CPU optimizations

Server
-Fix for commandline setting of webadmin values not saving after multiple map changes

Yeah looking forward to this expansion/stand-alone.

Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm is available for pre-purchase now and its 15% off. If you already own RO2 you get 40% off. Regular version is $19.99 before discount.

Rising Storm includes RO2's maps but I think you can only play as the main Rifleman class if you don't own RO2, and vice versa if you don't buy RS you can play on RS maps but only as Rifleman.

Also, you get beta access regardless of which version you pre-purchase (there is a Digital Deluxe Edition for $29.99, before discount, it also includes the HoS DDE).

EDIT: Bonus if you have the "inb4reset" achievement.
If you own RO2 AND have the In B4 Reset achievement, then you will get all the Day 1 unlocks for Rising Storm (4 weapons) PLUS a 2X multiplier on experience points earned during the first 2 weeks after release, NOT THE DDE (me getting confused now). If you want the rest of the DDE elements, you'll still have to buy the DDE!
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1215137&postcount=29

I have two Rising Storm Beta Extra Copy Steam gifts to give out to anyone who is interested in trying out Rising Storm but hasn't bought it yet (although its already less than $20).

EDIT: One taken, one to go!

EDIT: Gone.

I also have some Beta copies if anyone wants them.

Top Bottom