Football Thread No. 9

Why do you speak in the future tense?

This might help:

In other news Real Zaragoza have pulled off the milagro. In the end it came down to winning the last match against mid-table Getafe. But after being 9 points adrift and barely getting a point for 2 months that's a hell of a thing.

I think I read somewhere if Zaragoza had made as many points in the first half of the season as they did in the second they'd have finished in 3rd place. :crazyeye:

:lol: That's the skipper of a Premier League side?

Well, (some of) the media, especially the non-football media, love him because he tweets about Nietzsche and Tate Modern exhibitions, even if said tweets are no more profound than "reading Nietzsche in the sunny balcony!". Coupled with his violent past (multiple assaults, jail time, etc.) they can then write lazy pieces about the "Redemption of Joey Barton, that complex character" or patronising articles about "how extraordinary, a working class footballer-thug interested in Lucien Freud!". The man himself seems obsessed with being the focus of attention and plays along obviously trying to find his post-retirement niche for a career in media.

Ah, twitter... and I bet you all thought the demise of human civilization would come via a nuclear holocaust or global warming, didn't you?

In rather nostalgic notes, Milan bid farewell to five of its pillars: Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Seedorf, Zambrotta. Here's a nice report, Inzaghi's goal is especially fine (300th game for Milan and as he put it, 'no way I'd end a season without scoring at least once'):

Link to video.

...while in Turin Del Piero played his 700th and last game with the Old Lady. Could he abstain?

Link to video.

Not enough and he has tarnished his reputation with Football fans even more when he slagged off Alan Shearer (ABSOLUTE LEGEND) and Gary Lineker another absolute leg-end. He is a disgraceful man, I hope the police arrest him for his violent conduct and he goes to jail:p

@Sofista, must be a sad day for Milan fans to see such brilliant servants leave the club. Those players you listed were excellent and i used to enjoy watching them in the champions league quite a lot! Especially Seedorf and Gattuso. Juve gone unbeaten? unreal, congratulsations to them i guess :D

It's quite a custom for gangs in Buenos Aires to paint coffins on walls in their neighbourhoods and write the names of their enemies inside, why should the idiot do that?

I think I read somewhere if Zaragoza had made as many points in the first half of the season as they did in the second they'd have finished in 3rd place. :crazyeye:

8 wins in the last eleven matches, to come back from 12 points adrift of safety (and if memory serves, 9 points behind second last). Insanity.

Now let's see if it's a blip or they can continue being competitive next year... after Jiminez took over as coach they fought hard with the squad they had plus a few rejects and cheap loan players (and one guy they probably shouldn't have been allowed to transfer). Maybe that form can continue. My guess though is the financial house of cards will crash around them and they'll be in just as bad a position as currently, or worse, but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Hopefully Iglesias is kicked out soon.

It's also nice to see Levante make it to Europe and Rayo hang on as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/14/fury-carlos-tevez-banner

they officially apologized for this?
this is ridiculous. the media are taking all the fun out of high level football with self important moral outrage like this.

i'm beginning to feel football actually needs more joey bartons.

It's quite a custom for gangs in Buenos Aires to paint coffins on walls in their neighbourhoods and write the names of their enemies inside, why should the idiot do that?

:wow::wow::wow:
Is this behaviour considered normal in Carlos Tevez?

8 wins in the last eleven matches, to come back from 12 points adrift of safety (and if memory serves, 9 points behind second last). Insanity.

Now let's see if it's a blip or they can continue being competitive next year... after Jiminez took over as coach they fought hard with the squad they had plus a few rejects and cheap loan players (and one guy they probably shouldn't have been allowed to transfer). Maybe that form can continue. My guess though is the financial house of cards will crash around them and they'll be in just as bad a position as currently, or worse, but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Hopefully Iglesias is kicked out soon.

It's also nice to see Levante make it to Europe and Rayo hang on as well.

Everybody that likes Football should hope Iglesias leaving Real Zaragoza. People who use football to expand their personal business should be out of Clubs
At this end of season many people is talking about Villareal's crash or Zaragoza's miracle, but IMHO the new is Levante's absolutelly brilliant season. People should know that all their players are near to retirement or loaned. They have almost clasified for champions using a very short budget, what should lead some other clubs to think over it.

Who are your manage of the first 20 years of the EPL? Best overall 11, and Best player?

This is the official view, does yours differ?
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1070966/sir-alex-ferguson-and-ryan-giggs-receive-premier-league-awards?cc=3436

GK: Peter Schmeichel
RB: Gary Neville
CD: Tony Adams
CD: Rio Ferdinand
LB: Ashley Cole
RM: Cristiano Ronaldo
CM: Paul Scholes
CM: Roy Keane
LM: Ryan Giggs
F: Thierry Henry
F: Alan Shearer

I have a hard time trying to find different players for this team. Maybe Ferdinand could be dropped for a few players, but he does deserve to be in the team.

I guess ...

GK: Mark Schwarzer
RB:Gary Neville
CD:Marcel Desailly
CD:Nemanja Vidic
LB: Denis Irwin
RM: Cristiano Ronaldo
CM: Frank Lampard
CM: Steven Gerrard
LM: Ryan Giggs
F: Thierry Henry
F: Dennis Bergkamp

Alan Shearer was a great finisher, but I don't think even he would claim to be better than Bergkamp.

In rather nostalgic notes, Milan bid farewell to five of its pillars: Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Seedorf, Zambrotta.

(...)

...while in Turin Del Piero played his 700th and last game with the Old Lady. Could he abstain?

Spoiler :

Zambrotta was marginal to Milan, his best years were elsewhere, but the others are indeed club legends: 2 CL wins, and if it weren't for some minutes of madness in Instanbul, it would have been 3.
I reckon Seedorf could still perfectly play for another season at least.

Btw, the goal you posted by Del Piero was against Lazio some weeks ago, not the one he scored last weekend. ;)

The Champions League final is on tonight.

Who is going to win guys? I think Bayern have a slightly better team (a lot is made of Robben and Ribery) - I think Gomez will do what he does best and choke and not score. The sheer determination of Terry/Lampard/Cole/Czech/Drogba will push Chelsea over the finishing line just.

Anyway the team who beat Barcelona deserve it :D

I don't think Bayern have better players than Chelsea. Definitely on paper Chelsea's players are supposed to be better, though it's not a big gap. Bayern are playing at home however and seem to have better team cohesion.

Not gonna call this one. Maybe it will be decided by a bad refereeing decision? That's the way, as often as not, big games go these days. The referee is from Portugal, so it would be worthwhile to dive around and play act / try to get fake penalties and opponent dismissals.

On balance, I want Chelsea to win though through dislike of Bayern. also have some sympathy for Chelsea being screwed in the past by referees.

Top Bottom