Europa Universalis IV

Oh man. I will definitely buy this, but I'll see how it is on release to determine when I buy it. I like the new graphics but I play 95% of the time in political view mode so I don't get a huge benefit.

It's a good point, is there anyone who doesn't play in political view?

I am please the Isle of Man appears on the map but unplease to see it as possilbe not a region. Although small it did had a intresting time durning the English Civil War/War of the Three Kingdoms.

Sometimes I can go years in missionary view after the reformation hits, and I'll go for a month in Manpower or Economic views when a building is near completion but yah, Political view 90% of the time.

I'm sure they'll have political views in the same style as how they did Duchy or Kingdom views in CK2

The monarch information is interesting; looking forward to how they rate historical rulers (so I can lambaste them for it :mischief:)

But seriously, I hope they include at least simplified family trees, rather than just who my heir is (and not even really how he or she is related to me, specifically), and some abstract information about which thrones I might inherit.

The monarch information is interesting; looking forward to how they rate historical rulers (so I can lambaste them for it :mischief:)

But seriously, I hope they include at least simplified family trees, rather than just who my heir is (and not even really how he or she is related to me, specifically), and some abstract information about which thrones I might inherit.

They started incorporating that into HttT in the most primitive state--you can see all your royal marriages and on particular deaths who will be inherited or form a personal union with. Needs to be fleshed out to be more useful from a gameplay perspective though--right now, RMs are for relations, legitimacy, and claims, with a small chance of unions.

That's not going to happen. The Devs already said we weren't getting anything like CK-style dynasty management.

well from the article it looks like this game could give civ and total war a run for their $$$.

That's not going to happen. The Devs already said we weren't getting anything like CK-style dynasty management.

I understood that as not having to marry off all your heirs and stuff.

I'd be surprised if they didn't include a basic multiple sons and potentially daughters as heirs, and when a guy dies with no son, his brother assumes control.

As Johan said in the interview, they added the system late in the expansion HTTT where the interface wasn't meant to support such things. Now they are creating a new game and a new interface, they can support this stuff.

I'm almost always in that view, too. The main exception is when I'm fighting in a war where victory is not assured and terrain matters. Then I'll be in terrain view, especially if I'm in the north and counting on General Winter to do its part.

Otherwise, yeah, almost always political view for regular gameplay. The others are handy for information but I rarely leave them there for long periods of time.

I'd like a more fleshed-out royal family, too...

I'll be very interested in what they mean by customizing your game. I hope that means there'll be modding tools even coding challenged people like me can use.

well from the article it looks like this game could give civ and total war a run for their $$$.

I doubt it. EU has been a better game than Civ for a long time. Maybe Steam will help in that regard, but EU has a far steeper learning curve than Civ does. And the TW crowd is really looking for something completely different anyway.

I doubt it. EU has been a better game than Civ for a long time. Maybe Steam will help in that regard, but EU has a far steeper learning curve than Civ does. And the TW crowd is really looking for something completely different anyway.

I've never understood how people find EU3 a difficult game. cIV is by far the harder one to learn. After having the game for 5 years I've only ever advanced two difficulty levels in cIV, while the procedure for any/all nation in EU3 was easy enough to learn in about a month. So what part of EU3 do you thing is more complicated than Civilzation? And I'll admit that obviously EU3 > CiV (but what isn't?), though I don't think EU3 will ever be > cIV.

I've never understood how people find EU3 a difficult game. cIV is by far the harder one to learn. After having the game for 5 years I've only ever advanced two difficulty levels in cIV, while the procedure for any/all nation in EU3 was easy enough to learn in about a month. So what part of EU3 do you thing is more complicated than Civilzation? And I'll admit that obviously EU3 > CiV (but what isn't?), though I don't think EU3 will ever be > cIV.
Part of that, surely, is the fact that Civilization difficulty is more or less based on one's willingness to do micro, whereas EU difficulty is more conceptual and lies chiefly in learning how to take advantage of the awful AI.

It's the mindset. The fact that with Civ, you can take your time with a turn whereas with EU3 you pause and progress and it's unfamiliar with a lot of Civ players.

That's really a shame. Dynastic marriages, unions, and management was every bit as, if not more important to the period covered by EU than it was the period covered by CK2. It's really frustrating that it's so poorly implemented in EU3, probably the second most irritating part of the game next to the trade system.

Top Bottom