Europa Universalis IV

I really don't see why that's a big deal...

This sucks, it was the same thing with Vicky 2 and they still can't even get their maps right!

For comparison:

Spoiler :

OutRAGEOUS! This is the worst injustice in the history of the world!

Actually I would personally appreciate it if the map was more accurate. Not necessary to get all huffy because some people appreciate accuracy.

It just seems a bit silly to get worked up over a map that has a few minor errors.

Actually THAT Africa/SA one is one of their few truly sensible creative change.

Look at a real world map. Look at how much empty water would need to be added at the bottom of everywhere else on the map to give South America its proper latitude.

Consider that the larger the size of the province.bmp file, the harder it is for GPUs to handle. Consider that the developpers consider that the current size is pretty much as large as they dare go.

Basically, to get the Americas to their proper latitude, we'd have to sacrifice a great deal of map detail everywhere.

Proper latitude (which has zero game effect), or more detailed map with room for larger, better provinces? Is this even supposed to be a choice? Power to Paradox.

------------

Sicily, on the other hand, is just because they completely skewed Europe out of shape to zoom it in on the EU3 map. Hopefully we won't see that in IV.

Dynastic politics light, as well? :)

I think they are, just there won't be any dynastic politics.

Nah, I'd rather they wouldn't.

For a WW2 or Cold War game - sure. But not for EU.

I'm not an expert on maps or map geometry, but is it possible that they're using different projections for the CK2 and Victoria 2 maps?

I would assume it is like Rhye did with the earth map in his mod, adapted it for gameplay reasons.

I'm not an expert on maps or map geometry, but is it possible that they're using different projections for the CK2 and Victoria 2 maps?

In EU3 DW they tried to get a globe projection into a flat map. That is what someone discovered while attempting to redo central asian provinces for MPM mod.

In EU3 DW they tried to get a globe projection into a flat map. That is what someone discovered while attempting to redo central asian provinces for MPM mod.
I'm pretty sure that DW's map is just Miller (or equirectangular, but those are basically the same thing), except they shifted the American supercontinent north to save on space. The problem with DW's Central Asian stuff is that it's based on Paradox's laughably bad land borders that are based more off guesswork than anything else. There's no other way to explain the Caspian Sea being shifted a few hundred miles south, or the Himalaya abutting the Ganges. Bad land borders are a problem all over the map - just look at the HRE - but they're most obvious in Central Asia, where there are no close coastlines from which to base their guesswork.

Top Bottom