Europa Universalis IV

No doubt paradox will watch it and then go: let's fix all the exploits people might use because we wanna limit people as much as possible in their game....

You don't really garner sympathy for your cause by calling them exploits, you know.

I find many folks label things they never thought of, or don't feel comfortable doing, as "exploits" -- often labeled as "immersion breaking" too boot.

For example, whether truces are 5 years or 15, is breaking truce an exploit? +5 war exhaustion and -5 stability says no, of course, but in the eyes of some it's still an exploit. Because only human players do it, and can survive and expand while doing it?

The Bear comes out of hibernation, looks south, Ottomans received a bloody nose in a previous war, but the Bear suffered greatly in that war. (Gained 4 Crimean provinces from an Ottoman ally, Crimea, but fought tooth and nail to get the Ottomans to accept a white peace. Lost 4 entire armies before WE finally caught up with the Ottomans. About time too as my manpower was getting dangerously low.) So she turns her gaze elsewhere, the Nomads perhaps? No too easy, she wants a challenge, looks West, sees Poland, licks her chops. The armies move into position.

The world before peace is shattered:
Spoiler :

The Armies are in position. For Mother Russia!
Spoiler :

EDIT: Just found out my great General just died, among other lesser generals, he was commanding my Imperial Army and had awesome shock and siege stats. :( Russia grieves his loss and the invasion is postponed until Generals are hired and appointed to the various commands.

EDIT2: Should mention that it was this General, a Nikolai Sivichov, that saved the Russian Crimean from repeated Ottoman incursions time and time again, when all other Russian armies were getting wiped off the earth or retreating back to Moscow with their tails between their legs. General Nikolai and his elite force of 30,000 Russian troops stared down the Sultan (literally, the Sultan commanded an army and died in the Russian Crimea.) and his minions of evil, twice defeating an army larger than his own without reinforcements and defeating a total of 5 plus the 2 larger armies before the Ottomans accepted my offer of White Peace. He was truly a colossus of the Battlefield.

Am almost tempted to restart the game and see if he can survive another bloody war. But I will not.

For the first time i finally managed to start a game as Novgorod and NOT fail epicaly. I feel secure now.

Spoiler :

Livonian Order and Riga are my vassals, Poland-Lithuania, Pskov, Ryazan and Perm are my allies. Muscovy keeps stealing my allies through PUs. Muscovy is allied with Pskov and Tver.
-Intresting things about the map is an independent Crimea which somehow got pissed at everyone early in the game and conquered all the things.
-Also intresting is the Hungaro-Austrian empire. That's right, Austria is in a PU UNDER Hungary. Not sure how the succession war started but Bohemia inherited the HRE throne and fought Hungary for the Austrian throne.
-Also strange is that Sweden failed their early independence war. I've never seen that, it always gets independent early in the game.
-For the first time since EU3, the Ottomans are incompetent in this game. They lost some early wars against the hordes so they have expanded very little for now.

Just wait, the Ottomans will expand. In my game above yours, the Ottomans started slow, lost a couple wars in the East making me think I can steal provinces from their ally, Crimea, easily. I was wrong, once I moved armies down, I sent 60,000 men in 3 armies, sieged all Crimean provinces and was about to demand Crimea to hand over what I wanted when the Ottomans arrived with 2 20,000 stacks, sent two of my smaller armies back to Moscow with warm regards, leaving my "Super" General and 30,000 elite Russians alone to face 40,000 Turks and the Sultan himself led an army. Needless to say, when the dust settled, the Turks lost some 100,000 men, and I lost far more, nearly triple. Don't dismiss them so easily.

Also in my games, Sweden rarely survives, Denmark usually unites Scandinavia. In my current Russia game, I managed to defeat them in a war and freed Finland, since then the two have waged war on and off to maintain the balance of power there. Also Finland is still my vassal.

The Hungarian-Austrian Empire should be interesting... I look forward to hearing how that progresses in your game.

-------------------------

Some other things I forgot to mention about my game above, that war is not just Russia vs Poland, it will involve the first coalition vs coalition war I have ever seen in a game. I formed a Coalition against Poland that had tons of German minors, including a powerful Hansa and Austria join. As well as my vassal Finland.

In the other Coalition against Russia, formed by Poland, whose members include but not limited to, France, Castile, Aragon, Denmark and some minor powers not deserving to be listed here.

I don't know, the Ottomans don't always do great. In my game as Algiers, they are struggling quite a lot. Which is somewhat problematic for me as I'd hoped to make them my long-term ally, but have had to rely on the Mamluks instead. And they're only mediocre so far in my Saxon game. In my old Milanese game, the Ottomans were conquered by the Mamluks and Byzantines.

So the Ottomans may expand... but it's not a guarantee. Also of note is that in my experience (since 1.5 at least) Denmark does indeed often unify Scandinavia, unlike in EU3. But nonetheless, the Hungaro-Austrian Empire does sound interesting, and it sounds like a pretty good position for Novgorod.

EDIT2: Should mention that it was this General, a Nikolai Sivichov, that saved the Russian Crimean from repeated Ottoman incursions time and time again, when all other Russian armies were getting wiped off the earth or retreating back to Moscow with their tails between their legs. General Nikolai and his elite force of 30,000 Russian troops stared down the Sultan (literally, the Sultan commanded an army and died in the Russian Crimea.) and his minions of evil, twice defeating an army larger than his own without reinforcements and defeating a total of 5 plus the 2 larger armies before the Ottomans accepted my offer of White Peace. He was truly a colossus of the Battlefield.

Only the finest funeral will do for such a colossus of combat.

I'm interested to hear how the Russo-Polish war goes. I've yet to have a coalition vs. coalition war, and it sounds like both sides have some powerful forces. You probably have the edge since you're a human and you will likely succeed in invading the leader Poland before they invade you, but I can definitely see The Hansa and Austria getting bloodied up by France, Castile, and Denmark.

And don't jinx yourself by saying some countries aren't worthy of mention. That's exactly what causes defeat when the 3000-man Pomeranian army arrives just in time to turn the tide of the largest battle of the war, turning what might have been a crushing defeat for Poland into a complete loss of momentum for Russia.

Update from my game !

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

As you can see, i split Muscovy in 4 in my previous war ! I don't know when the next war will be tho, they allied with Denmark, who just finished eating up Sweden. So, my only hope for now is that rebels will destroy Muscovy. And my only hope for Denmark is that the Reformation will break them up.
Livonian Order, Nizhny Novgorod and Perm are my vassals and i am allied with Poland and Lithuania - both of which are also allied with Denmark. :crazyeye: I'm also allied with Burgundy because they hate Denmark.
-In other news, the Hungaro-Austrian empire collapsed when Austria declared independece. And i think they only hire cokeheads for diplomats, ever since they got free, they are swapping alliances like crazy.
-Another union formed tho, the union of Crimea and the Ottomans - with the Ottos under Crimea. A very unfortunate turn of events for me; and a sigh of relief for the Balkans and the Mamluks who started to gain ground.
-Poland cannot into having strong heirs, they lost their union with Lithuania a lot of years back, but i allied them both, bless their eastern european souls.
-Mecca just became Shia
-A province in Lithuania just became Coptic :crazyeye:
-The reformation just started in the Palatinate. Will see how that goes.

I don't know what ideas to chose next. I have Diplomatic and Defensive. I was thinking of incorporating Perm and go east with colonists from the Expansionist idea (which is an admin idea :(). Should i chose espionage for now and try and destabilize Denmark or Muscovy ? Is espionage good for anything ?

New hotfix is out. Patch notes from Paradox forum:

1.7.3 - Hotfix Released - Checksum 7d7e
- Support independence minimum opinion should now be -25. (no -1000 AI score)
- Fixed CTD where changing trade in CountryTradeView would assume that the merchant is currently trading.
- CTD when issuing the help command in console.
- National focus now saved.
- Increased precision in fabricate claim discovery, should now be better.
- You will no longer annex Japan when you try to annex a vassal to Japan
- Having national focus unchangeable, the tooltip will now tell you the reason for it.
- Religious unity values will not be super low when legitimacy is below 100.
- Increased precision in fabricate claim discovery, should now be better.
- Loot & Income from Peace is no longer considered as monthly income for income calculations.
- To become unexiled a unit must be fully loaded onto ships.
- Colonies no longer affect religious unity.
- You now no longer get both opinion bonus & penalty when winning elections in an Elective Monarchy.
- Truce now scales per month, not just per year.
- Legitimacy is now set to 90 if a foreign ruler goes on the throne of an Elective Monarchy.
- In an Elective Monarchy, you now get the same dynasty on your noble if current ruler is local.
- Valid opposing rivalries should no longer cancel for the stronger nation at a monthly tick.

Two games I have going simultaneously.

First I started as Vijayanagar, as I've never played in Asia in any of the EU games before. Vijayanagar is very easy. Basically just plowed my way north unopposed and formed Hindustan. Still have a ways to go for my goal of conquering the entire India region. Nepal and Koch are vassals.

Spoiler :

Second game is as Mantua. Allied with Austria and Milan right away and fabricated a claim on Venice for Verona. Took that and then slowly started expanding. Currently have the 4th largest army in the world. Salzburg, Wurttemburg, and Tuscany are vassals. Currently trying to improve relations enough with the Papal States to let me vassalize them. Allied with Naples and France.

Spoiler :

The sun rarely sets on the Portuguese Empire!

Spoiler :

The past twenty years have seen a switch in my primary ally from Aragon to France. In the early 1530s, Aragon started a war against Castile and called me in, despite all of my troops being in Asia. Unsurprisingly, they were not able to get back in time to be very effective. Mercenaries did manage to inflict some losses on Castile (at the cost of considerable debt), but Aragon ceded Aragón just as my troops had made it back from Asia, ending any chance of turning the tide. When Aragon started another war at nearly as foolhardy a time six years later, the alliance was over. (This is a 1.6.x game, currently 1.6.2, so Aragon wasn't breaking a truce)

But in 1547, both France and I were ready for some military action, particularly as France had the world's largest army by a factor of two and couldn't start any wars due to a regency. So I declared war on Castile, and proceded to trounce them with a healthy dose of French military victories. In the end I got four provinces in Iberia and all of Castile's remaining colonies (having already annexed two small colonies outright). The 158.2 overextension (of which 126.2 came from this war) is probably going to be somewhat problematic, but it feels good to have no Castillian colonies in 1552.

All the while, I've been colonizing with a focus on estuaries and centers of trade. The St. Lawrence, Mississippi, and Parana estuaries are Portuguese in the New World, while Cape Town is Portuguese in Africa along with the Niger Estuary (a recent conquest), and a thus-far-totally-useless center of trade in India (which is too far away to core or send a merchant to). All three estuaries in the Sevilla node are now Portuguese as well, giving trade dominance in our home node. The Hudson River estuary is Portuguese as well.

I haven't figured out why I can't make Castile a rival. I would have thought they were more powerful than me before the war, and they're definitely less powerful now, yet they haven't been an option either time. Along with Vijayanagar and Mali, my current rivals, my only other choices are Lenape and Qara Koyunlu. The latter really doesn't make sense as I have no borders anywhere near them. Maybe Castile will become eligible after they rebuild a bit - currently I have infinitely more powerful armies and navies, so perhaps the war took them all the way from "too powerful" to "too weak" at once.

Edit: Found out why Qara Koyunlu was a possible rival - they've colonized the Maldives! :lol: Apparently they chose the expansion idea track, got a port on the Persian Gulf, and decided the Maldives would be a splendid location to expand to. The Maldives share a sea border with my Indian province, Kochin, so they're a valid rival!

God this game is aggrevating beyond logical comprehension. Take 3 provinces from venice as austria, coalition of half of the hre against you. Lure them in the mountains, lose 4000 men in two dicerolls to their 300....

As a non-world-domination-obsessed player i'm having great fun with my recent Novgorod->Russia game. (latest patch installed)

This is sarcasm. Johan is dumb as and bases design decisions on how much he blows at in house multiplayer.

Does this mean Johan will get a ban for his "foulmouth" to mirror my own?

Of course he won't because the mods are on his dick, but it would be truly hilarious to behold.

You're admittedly biased against Johan anyway.

Altar, if you have nothing better to do than rage against Johan, why take up space in the EU IV thread?

And its not a bias.

bi·as
ˈbīəs/Submit
noun
prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
"there was evidence of bias against foreign applicants"
synonyms: prejudice, partiality, partisanship, favoritism, unfairness, one-sidedness; More

It is so hard to take any of your complaints seriously when every other word out your mouth is a copy-and-paste anti-Johan circlejerk typical of the usual entitled PDxer. Especially the kind that thinks they way they play the game is at all typical of the 99% of players who don't mathcraft in a Map Painting Simulator.

Moderator Action: Enough of this, please get back to the discussion of EUIV.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Play 3 times as portugal, see the iberian wedding 3 times.

Play 3 times as castille. Not once an iberian wedding. Also, 2 dead good heirs in 50 years....

Top Bottom