Sim City (4) Succession Session!

I hope so; I'm happy to give CivCube a few more days to report in (for all I know there might be some massive compatibility issue he's valiantly struggling through) but, in the interests of maintaining momentum, if we haven't heard anything after that, you get to take over.

Yeah, sorry, I don't have as much time as I thought. Feel free to take over.

After a short wait before entering town - the city council informed him that the feng shui shaders must be ready before he entered - Mayor Quintillus entered the city, and was pleasantly surprised by an impressive fireworks display being staged from his front lawn. Quite the greeting!

But there was a city to be managed, and first things first, the mayor needed to assess the state of the city. Though things appeared to be doing well enough to an outsider during Peck of Arabia's mayorality, there's always more to learn once you're actually a resident of a city.

Spoiler Load Story and Images :
The first item to be dealt with was complaints that Fort Consternation was a bastion of vice and rank with dangerous criminals who would rob you at first thought. Simply put, many citizens felt they were quite unsafe. So, Mayor Quintillus pulled up the crime reports. And he found the following:

That's right... a pie throwing! How scandalous! Further investigation showed that this was the only crime reported to the city in the previous year. As such, the Mayor concluded that the city had not gone to the thieves already, and as such the libertarian paradise experiment could continue awhile longer.

The Mayor did find an item needing of attention in that the new development by the elementary school had been left out in the dust when it came to a water supply. Seeing as the city still had plenty of H2O, the mayor quickly connected the area.

Otherwise, however, the Mayor found the city to be in good shape. A surplus of 500 simoleons per month was healthy, and pollution was limited to the industrial area of town. So, the mayor set out his five-year plan:

• Establish a farming commune
  • Lose money at a similar rate as the previous administration - end the term with at least 160,000 simoleons for the next mayor.
  • Give the next mayor a budget surplus of at least 750 simoleons per month.
  • Establish Fort Consternation's first apartments
  • Establish the first public transit route and convince people to make use of it

Whether all this could be accomplished, particularly improving the surplus, was uncertain. But the mayor would give it the old college... err, elementary school... try!

The Mayor chose the rolling knolls to the south of the city as a good location for farms, built a few roads and pipes, connected power, and within a few months, several farms had opened just in time for the summer, providing 80 new jobs and 100 simoleons of tax revenue!

Although somewhat underwhelming in terms of jobs, nevertheless the Mayor was pleased that the citizens of Fort Consternation would have fresh produce that fall.

That fall, there was indeed produce... and the first bus routes in Fort Consternation!

The mayor had debated whether to go with busses or trains. There was space for a rail corridor to the industrial area, but in the end, the uncertain ridership made busses a more economical option. Six bus stops were established, not destroying a single building in the process, and a system was established. Initial ridership can only be described as modest, but was existant. The routes can be seen below in blue:

And where it that new road to nowhere going? That's to be the site of Fort Consternation's first apartments! Mayor Quintillus envisions the green, fertile plains to the northwest of the current city as an excellent future downtown area. But it only makes sense to take advantage of the bussing radius of the current school when expanding. So, the new apartments will be to the west of the most recent new development.

It took awhile, but soon enough, there was development in the new area!

...and no one had built any apartments. The mayor double-checked, and yes, the zoning allowed it. But no one wanted apartments in Fort Consternation. :dunno: The city planner suggested it may be an issue with the types of jobs available nearby; perhaps a new industrial area would be required to stimulate growth.

But demand for dirty industry was negative, and the residents already had short commutes, and were happy in general. So the Mayor decided to let things be for now, and in the meantime, expanded the farms for the following year's harvest.

It was in the summer of the second year of his term that the Mayor noticed the first medium-wealth commercial spaces were opening... in particular, a couple of import stores:

This was a celebrated event... Fort Consternation was moving up in the world!

By the second year's harvest, the city's monthly surplus was just barely 750 simoleons per month. This would likely fall soon as a new water tower would have to be built before long, but nevertheless the mayor was pleased with the new taxes, mostly from farms. With the treasury still at over 170,000 simoleons, this left the apartments as the only of the original goals that was not yet met, though there was room for improvement in the others.

In April of his third year, the Mayor was admiring the first high-wealth residence in town, a palatial estate. Fort Consternation really was an up-and-coming town!

But while he was doing so, crisis struck! A fire broke out in the industrial district! With no fire stations, there was a serious risk that many of Fort Consternation's industries, and its power plant, might burn down. Thinking quickly, the Mayor decided that the time for a firefighter-free paradise was over, and the citizens of Fort Consternation raised a small fire station within an hour so that the blaze could be put out.

Unfortunately this, along with the new water tower on the northwest side of town, meant the budget surplus was below 750 simoleons per month again. So the mayor went to his go-to solution, and zoned more farm areas. Fort Consternation vegetables would soon be the envy of the world!

And after doing so, while touring town, the Mayor noticed that his efforts had paid off, as the first apartments had been built!

Pleased, the Mayor hoped that this would be only the first of many apartments to come.

In the fall of his third year, the Mayor caused a brief crisis when applying austerity measures to the power plant, and unintentionally overshooting the possible budget savings, resulting in widespread brownouts. This was an important lesson in mayorality - it's better to spend a few extra simoleons on power than to anger your populace by unnecessarily causing power outages.

By spring of the Mayor's fourth year, education had increased sufficiently that SimIndustry deemed Fort Consternation residents smart enough to work in factories, and manufacturing demand was increasing noticeably. As such, Mayor Quintillus expanded the traditional industrial area for the first time in his mayorality, zoning a small new medium industrial zone. Sure enough, within a few months, some new manufacturers had taken up residence!

So successful was the manufacturing area that another one across the street was quickly zoned.

And by this time, Mayor Quintillus's secret goal of having agriculture and manufacturing surpass dirty industry in tax base was nearly realized. And indeed, with just a few more farms early in the fifth year, dirty industry no longer ruled Fort Consternation!

In October of the mayor's final year, the water situation once again reached the tipping point, with 99.87% of water available in use. As the final construction of his mayorality, Quintillus ordered a new water tower built, sparing his successor a crisis upon inaugeration.

As the Mayor prepared for his final Christmas in office, he noticed that right across the street from his house, a new, high-wealthy commercial office had opened!

High-wealth commercial as well as residential! Though still quite little in both categories, the Mayor was pleased to leave his successor the beginnings of an upper class society in Fort Consternation.

As he left office, the mayor reviewed his goals. All five had been met. His successor would inherit a treasury with 163,000 simoleons in it, as well as a budget surplus of 1160 simoleons per month. A couple of the bus stops were now respectably busy, and mass transit was only slightly unprofitable. Apartments had been built, and the farming community was thriving, and now more influential than dirty industry fiscally - a legacy the mayor was glad to be able to leave behind.

Despite this, his successor would have challenges. Education and health had been maintained, but no improvements made. Fort Consternation was still largely a poor town. And though fire coverage now existed in the industrial area, there were still no cops. Crime had tripled to a rate of 3 despite population increasing by only 50% - could the libertarian paradise last?

Fort Consternation
Mayor: MoreEpicThanYou
Population: 4483 (+1632; +57.2%)
Mayor Rating: Approximately 60 (how do you get the exact number for this?)
Funds §163,088 (-§17,468; -9.7%)

Ooh, pretty farmland.

:) Thanks. I've never built so many farms in SC4. But all those gently hills seemed to be just asking for some nice rows of maize and soybeans, and some pleasant apple and orange groves.

Do we have a fourth mayor for after METY's turn, or is it back to Peck of Arabia after that???

Yeah, nice work on the farms (and the rest)- it looks great! Very forward thinking of you to plan a downtown area already, my downtown areas usually spring up by accident

I hope a few more people volunteer their skills to the mayors' office before it's my turn again, but if not I'll happily take up the reigns again. Looking forward to what MoreEpicThanYou has in store

All my skills in SC4 consists on building a large grid of avenues, placing industries near the border of the map, residential in the center and commercial between. Of course all high density. Then add an underground system plus some bus stops. Period. So it is better if i absent or will turn that idyllic town into a hellhole.

Count me in. Been meaning to try out the NAM mod anyways. Who do I follow?

Yeah, nice work on the farms (and the rest)- it looks great! Very forward thinking of you to plan a downtown area already, my downtown areas usually spring up by accident

We'll see what happens in the meantime, though :). It could very well be that someone else has an alternate vision for that area. At least for the next several mayors there will still be new land to develop. It wouldn't surprise me if the initial area develops into a downtown, either.

All my skills in SC4 consists on building a large grid of avenues, placing industries near the border of the map, residential in the center and commercial between. Of course all high density. Then add an underground system plus some bus stops. Period. So it is better if i absent or will turn that idyllic town into a hellhole.

Sounds rather like how I usually build Sim Cities, only that I usually have roads instead of avenues. Although I do wonder what high density would do to the crime rate in this libertarian paradise...

Inter-player strife makes the succession game world go 'round! ;)

This. Absolutely; don't feel put off about joining and added your own style Thorgalaeg, or even messing something up. Just don't be too disappointed if the person up next ends up bulldozing your handiwork...

I even added the idea of having an agenda so as to allow for a little role playing in case all this careful management and growth gets a bit repetitive. For example, a couple of Agendas could be: "Crush the agricultural sector" (Damn Farmers!) or "Move the paupers out of sight!" (I'd be impressed if someone could pull something like this off, especially in only 5 years and considering laissez-faire approach to development) Personally, one of my later ones might be "Bring an Army Base into town so Fort Consternation lives up to its name" Once I've done a feasibility study on such an idea, that is :mischief:

germanicus12: Good to have you on board! You can take over once MoreEpicThanYou's had his turn, if you like.

Thank you, citizens of Fort Consternation, for electing me and the Republocrat Party into office! Over the course of my mayorship, I will legalize abortions and ban gay marriage, I will cut taxes for the rich and give government aid to the poor, and I will reduce outsourcing to China by offering our American citizens even worse wages! What? Are those contradictions? Nonsense! That was the doctrine of the great leader of myth, Sankis! I think...

To start off my term, I'll expand the various zones, from the low-density hamlet to the industrial southwest to the apartment section.

Oh, no! The Warmongerer-Hippie-Commie-Fascist Demolicans want me to build a farmer's market! Nice try, you bastards! They legalized gay marriage and banned abortions in other towns, but not here!

Look at the cash my policies are raking in!

A school to pack in all of the teenagers? It's bad enough when the classes aren't 50 people to a room. Seems like a Demolican plot...

Then again, I suppose a normal high school couldn't hurt. Come on in, kiddies! I hope you like the pictures of me in every classroom.

Massive expansion for all three types of zones!

God dammit. I'm already giving the hospitals boatloads of money, and they still want more!

Might as well take the opportunity to name something else after myself.

Their favorite mayor! Out of the three options! I knew my policies were doing something!

The Statue of MoreEpicThanYou stands proudly over the avenue. Citizens stare in awe at its Swag.

I'd like to build you another one, but it looks like an intern lost the permit or something because I forgot to build it...

A city hall? MoreEpicThanYou Memorial City Hall, here we come!

Sadly, Demolican protesters forced me to rename it to Fort Consternation City Hall.

At least those protesters distracted everyone from me expanding the landfills.

I've resisted it, but I finally gave in to Demolican demands to build more farms. To compensate, I'll expand everything else, too.

The water pollution is actually getting pretty bad, and this costs a ton of money, but hey! I get to put my name on yet another building! So it all works out.

Hey, why not? I am the mayor.. :mwaha:

I end the term with... MASSIVE EXPANSION!

Fort Consternation on January 2, 2015. The residential area in the northeast says it has no road access for some reason. See you in my second term!

Wait... are you telling me I wasn't reelected?

Although MoreEpicThanYou was well-liked in his term and was expected to have a second term, an alleged sex tape was found of him and most of his interns. Despite giving an impassioned speech "I did not have sexual relations with those women!", it enabled the Demolican candidate, germanicus12, to gain a sizeable following. On the newly-christened MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Election Day, all the votes were in except for the New Florida District. It turned out that germanicus12 had won by just a few votes! Despite repeated MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Recounts, Germanicus12 still won, and the Court of Fort Consternation declared him the victor. MoreEpicThanYou left in shame, vowing that he and the Republocrats would be back...

Fort Consternation
Mayor: germanicus12
Population: 21035 (+16552; +371.4%)
Mayor Rating: 8/12
Funds §88,931 (-§74,157; -83.3%) (Expansion comes at a price!)

Attachments

• City - Fort Consternation.rar
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
Wow, that's some impressive expansion numbers. Fort Consternation is starting to show up on the maps! And I'm glad to see the farms still exist and even expanded a bit, even if I had hoped there might be a farmer's market. Maybe next term...

I bet water pollution was getting pretty bad, with the industry expanding westwards towards the old water towers. Probably good for the citizenry that you were around to open a water treatment plant; I've never built one of those.

And is it just me, or does the last screenshot show more medium-wealth houses and green lawns in the original development?

Lord Iggy said:
The industrial development all over the scenic mountaintop made me laugh.

Better for the strip mining, I guess?

Did I read that right, you said no to the farmer's market? Farmer's market is a huge medium wealth residential demand cap buster, you absolutely want one if available. It's an easy way to take a low wealth dirty town to a med wealth manufacturing town. Best part is you can build it and then bulldoze all the farms once it's up and running.

Ohh this will be fun. *rubs hands evilly*

Will update tonight. Hopefully as I am slammed the rest of the week.

Did I read that right, you said no to the farmer's market? Farmer's market is a huge medium wealth residential demand cap buster, you absolutely want one if available. It's an easy way to take a low wealth dirty town to a med wealth manufacturing town. Best part is you can build it and then bulldoze all the farms once it's up and running.

Bulldoze all the farms? Noooooo!!!!!! :run: :run: :run: That can't be done! You'd... you'd starve!

Although even as a farmer's advocate, I'd had no idea that the farmer's market was a "huge medium wealth residential damand cap buster". So I can't blame METY too much for bypassing it. Though of course I would've built it to provide fresh veggies to the masses. And all sorts of other cool farm products like cheese curds, giant melons, and cheesy bread, as well.

Top Bottom