Tropico 5

cybrxkhan

Asian Xwedodah
So a new tropico was recently announced. Seems like it'll introduce a number of new things to the series, like historical/dynastic progression and research, fog of war, multiplayer, and so on.

I never could get into Tropico as I discovered it around the time I was getting tired of ci building games that relied on resource chains (at least that as my impression) but I may try this one out. I think the setting and style of the series is great anyhow.

So for those more familiar with the game, how does the new Troico look so far?

Ive got a friend who plays tropico, looking forward to try the multiplayer with him. It sounds pretty good.

The historical progression does sound promising. I was a big fan of the original Tropico, but (aside from the very different Pirate Cove), it always seemed like the newer versions were in essence the same game as the original, but with fancier graphics, and little else that had changed. As such, even though I bought Tropico 3 on a Steam Sale, I never could get into any of them past the original.

As for the economy, at least in the original, there are resource chains, but very small ones. Build a sawmill and you can turn logs into lumber. Build a cannery and you can can the fish. Build a jewelry factory and you can turn gold into jewelry. Build a cigar factory and you can make cigars from tobacco. Build a rum distillery and you can make rum from sugar. Nothing more complex than that. It's a lot less involved than, for example, Sim Isle. Tropico 3 and 4 may expand on that a bit, but as I understand it the concept is the same.

This might be the first new game that's really an improvement in terms of gameplay, though. Historical progression could lead to a lot of new possibilities. The multiplayer might also be fun, particularly if it's easy to set up on a LAN or otherwise with real-life friends. Hopefully they won't go too much for the DLC gravy train like they did with Tropico 4, though.

Did I see a railway line in one of those screens? :mischief:

Did I see a railway line in one of those screens? :mischief:

That looks to be a part of the dock where the dockworkers load/unload goods.

I haven't played since Pirate cove. Three and four seemed very derivative.

I haven't played since Pirate cove. Three and four seemed very derivative.

The fourth one is objectively better than three, and therefore there's no reason to get three.

I can't wait for another Tropico, so my opinion can be biased.

I'm especially looking forward to multiplayer co-op and vs modes, it should be fun fighting other Presidente army. I just hope there won't be any always online DRM bs like in some other new city building game (yes, I'm looking at you SimCity).

Aside of that everything looks very promising, quite few refreshing additions which are needed cause 4 wasn't very innovative without Modern Times DLC.

I'm especially looking forward to multiplayer co-op and vs modes, it should be fun fighting other Presidente army. I just hope there won't be any always online DRM bs like in some other new city building game (yes, I'm looking at you SimCity).

Hopefully no Always Online, but it will probably require the dismal Kalyspo Launcher.

I don't think I'm liking Tropico: Total War.

Holy Dictator!!

Greenmangaming.com is selling Tropico 5 for 30% off... 10% for pre-sale and 20% for using voucher O3H7FE-D4NFO0-F0LIGK!

(about $26 total)

Hopefully no Always Online, but it will probably require the dismal Kalyspo Launcher.

What's the dismal Kalypso Launcher, and does Tropico 4 have it? I was debating picking it up for $4 over at Gamersgate this weekend, but considering that I haven't really played 3 that much yet, I didn't buy it last night. And this launcher probably is the "Other DRM" that Gamersgate mentions. I'm also wondering if there's really any reason to get 4 when I already have 1, 2, and 3, even if it is cheap. And similarly, I'm wondering if the Modern Times expansion is worth the $2. My suspicion is that if Tropico 4 is worth it over 3, the Modern Times expansion probably makes sense.

I'm skipping 5 at launch since I haven't decided if I'll ever switch to Windows 7, but I still like what I've seen of it. Can't really justify spending $26+ on a game that I can't currently run when I still have several of its predecessors that I haven't played much, though.

I still have several of its predecessors that I haven't played much, though.

Yeah, no point getting it then. It looks mostly like more of the same - hopefully the new twists they put in work out well. I'm very much looking forward to it - love the Tropico series.

Windows 7/8 > XP. 8's dumb Metro interface is replaceable and ignorable and its a far better OS than XP.

Yeah, but I might just go Linux. Saves money, should be a mostly-good learning experience actually using it regularly, and the increasing number of games that I'm interested in becoming available for Linux (Crusader Kings II in particular, but XCom and Civ5:BE becoming available are also encouraging signs) also is encouraging. Other than being able to play some newer games, I consider XP to 7 a lateral shift, and thus not compelling when it costs money and time, and I still have lots of XP games like Tropico 3 very lightly played. Linux is different enough that I feel like I'd get more benefit out of adding it in to the mix than 7.

Also, I often am this guy when it comes to games:

So the fact that I can't play some newer games isn't a big deal-breaker. I'm still between Half-Life 2 and Episode One in that series.

Although apparently Tropico 3 only came out in 2009, so if I get to it this fall, I'll actually be right on track according to XKCD. Seems like it came out longer ago than that, but I guess I'm used to series like Civ where they come out every 5 years instead of every 2-2.5 years.

Yeah, no point getting it then. It looks mostly like more of the same - hopefully the new twists they put in work out well. I'm very much looking forward to it - love the Tropico series.

Gotcha. I'll probably wait for the next sale on Tropico 4 then, by which time I may have actually played 3 a good amount. The series does have a great series. The amount of DLC in Tropico 4 is concerning, though. Hopefully they tone it down a bit with 5, although I don't really expect them to.

Gotcha. I'll probably wait for the next sale on Tropico 4 then, by which time I may have actually played 3 a good amount. The series does have a great series. The amount of DLC in Tropico 4 is concerning, though. Hopefully they tone it down a bit with 5, although I don't really expect them to.

You can get Tropico 4 'everything edition' for 6 bucks right now on Steam. I enjoyed 3 but liked 4 even more.

Top Bottom