Tropico 5

The tropico series was awesome.

They did exactly the right thing with tropico, tropico3 and tropico4: They kept the game exactly as it was, but added some things here and there and brought it up to date. Thats one of the best things a company can do. There is no need to change a game that is allready good.

And btw: If you dont like the game thats fine, just please dont try to convince others to stop liking it. there is no reason to do so.

Moderator Action: Responding to trolls feeds the trolls. Please report posts and let the staff handle the situation. Taking it into your own hands is also trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Tried my first Sandbox game. I made so many country houses that it would cost less to invest in apartments etch than to modernise the houses. Was finally removed in the modern era by the people rebelling; neither my aircraft carrier or tanks were enough.

Reminds me: I enjoy the new design of the nuclear program and I also enjoyed going to war with the Noble Peace Prize Committee. Shame General Rodriguez is not in this game cause I would have loved to hear his charge now we has tanks.

There are a lot of rebels even in easy mode!

Please dont misunderstand me. I have played tropico4 a lot, too bad it is so easy. I just dislike how game companies produce and market their games today. Any other industry would have been a long ago sued and bankrupted because of mediacore performance.

Was finally removed in the modern era by the people rebelling; neither my aircraft carrier or tanks were enough.

Did the rebels have powered exoskeletons?

Anyway, is it true that you can't set wages anymore? I think all I saw from the videos were stupid wealth levels.

So far I'm surprised at how impressed I am. Tropico 3 and (especially) 4 seemed more like sandboxes first and games second, and I was always frustrated that the focus with each iteration was always just on adding more stuff rather than making a game with balanced challenges. The difficulty was always front-loaded as you desperately tried to get happiness infrastructure up in a screaming rush and then it was just cruise-control the rest of the way. Here they actually seem to have thought out the balance issues and responded appropriately. It feels much more focused, and on hard/hard, it can actually be a little bit challenging. That was all I really wanted from a Tropico game, so I'm pretty satisfied.

I've always liked the cold war theme so I wasn't looking forward to the era system, but I actually like it. The best part of the era system is that it introduces the challenges and the island development in a more staggered and sensible way. Happiness doesn't start as a huge concern, but it grows in importance. Same with education, military, foreign relations, trade, tourism etc. It's certainly much much better than the advancement system in Modern Times. The constitution system is really nice (although the options don't seem all that balanced at the moment), and I love that it's hard to make all the factions/foreign powers happy.

The buildings are fewer but they all seem to be more thought-out. There is a real reason to build each of the housing buildings, for example - the country house provides food from its garden so it's perfect for housing people working in mines or distant plantations; the house gives a bonus from other nearby houses, so it encourages pockets of suburbia; the mansion is great for wealth-based voting, where buying off the rich actually matters; and the tenement constantly degrades in quality and is no longer the cure-all. And it's kind of the same in the other categories.

There are some disappointments - there's clearly a few fairly minor bugs, the dynasty system seems pretty pointless, and the manager thing is a bit fiddly and micromanagey for not much payoff. The budget thing is nice, but it really needs some way of setting default budget level for new buildings (and Free Market kind of invalidates the whole system a bit). And while I'm fine with a relatively low building count in a vanilla version, I'm disappointed by the almost complete lack of any megalomania options - I have to suspect it's going to be a big DLC/expansion because there's not even a statue of yourself or anything.

So the building "Budget" slider is actually wages? Can I still control where my people live and buy based on setting rents and prices?

So this time factions actually are relevant? In tropico4 I didnt notice that factios had any impact on game.

Shame they removed the Intellectuals and Loyalists.

And building Work Modes. And a lot of buildings.

So the building "Budget" slider is actually wages? Can I still control where my people live and buy based on setting rents and prices?

Wages seem to be one of four levels - poor, well-off, rich or filthy rich (broke if unemployed).
As far as I can tell, the budget slider seems to control a few things:
Obviously how much you pay per given time period (per month I think)
It controls efficiency (-25, -10, 0, 10, 25 per level) - doubled with Free Market
It controls how likely people are to fill that job
At level 5 it will raise wages by one level, at level 1 it will lower them by one level (to a minimum of poor)
And it apparently controls which buildings preferentially get electricity

And yeah you can control where people live by which types of accommodation you build and what the budget is for it - at the highest and lowest budgets it will alter the wealth requirement for the building. And there's an edict to lower the requirements by 1 level for all buildings.

I think I prefer being able to set more wage and consumption levels than just four.

Because most people don't LAN so developers/publishers are not bothering to support it as often anymore. Blizzard was one of the biggest to drop LAN support entirely (for Starcraft 2). It is really unfortunate, and one of the excuses is to stop people from sharing copies (oh boo hoo).

So how does tropico5 mp work? What kind of interaction there is between players? I guess you can't occupy others islands.

Top Bottom