What are you guys playing now?

Got back into KSP after a long break.

While I still have a short list of gripes about various designs and "this game could seriously use this change", Civ5 + expansions is a lot better than I thought it would be.

Which wasn't a high bar to beat, but still. Sure beats Civ4.

I too grabbed brave new world and I like it. Still hate the combat, still think 4 is way better, but if you play 5 in a non combat mode like going for culture or space it's pretty fun. Trying to conquer the world though is far to cumbersome.

Nearly all of my friends who play video games have bought Brave New World. I resisted the peer pressure. And my friend whose strategy tastes are most similar to mine reports that he prefers Civ4 to Civ5 BNW, and much prefers EU4. Meanwhile, another friend who was previously a Civ5 fan is being converted to EU4, rather successfully it seems. The plan is working! :devil:

I've been playing some Chivalry: Medieval Warfare again. There's something strangely satisfying about dueling with mauls and halberds, only to have a boulder from a catapult land on both you and your foe.

I still slightly prefer Civ4, but with BNW, 5 is well worth playing. I keep both installed and vary which one I play depending on my mood.

1UPT doesn't quite work - the real problem is the scale. Each hex covers such a large area that the more tactial gameplay that 1UPT would seem to suggest simply cannot happen. There needs to be many more hexes for it to really improve the gameplay. As it is, it's just as flawed as stcks of doom.

I am hopelessly addicted to Banished.

I've played a couple hours of KSP, managed to do a manned Duna mission (with return, first time for that) and I've been experimenting with several mods to figure out what I'm going to use for a long campaign game when I have the time next year. I want to do a more realistic campaign-style game with life support, deadly re-entry, and maybe some kind of serious technological advancement in addition to just unlocking bigger engines.

Otherwise, haven't had too much time to play. I really want to learn EU4 and get back into Victoria II, Banished, and a couple other games. Maybe get around to that Revolution Under Siege AAR for this forum I never completed.

Started playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I picked it up during steam's summer sale. Wasn't sure if I should grab it, but I remember vrwc (yeah, like I'm going to remember his new name) raving about it.. I think? Somebody did.. So I bought it.

So far I love the game, but no matter what I do, parts of the world get annoyed at me.. because I can't be everywhere at once. Is people leaving the coalition a part of the game, or can it be avoided with some trickery? Do I get them back eventually?

I've been doing all teh missions and winning each one. So it's not like I'm failing.. But maye I'm doing something else wrong?

I've been putting them as fast as I can, but I don't have enough jets to cover different continents. So I figured that I'd cover all of Europe first with satellite coverage, then move on to another continent.

It's annoying to see people in the U.S. panicking, when I kill some aliens in China. Don't they have a military or something to blow up a couple random aliens, while I'm busy fighting the good fight elsewhere?

I guess I just don't like that game mechanic. I pick 1 out of 3, I always go for the one in the region that's most going insane, and in the end I end up the loser. Bleh.

I haven't been really playing Cities in Motion 2, more so I've been building maps in it. I discovered a fantastic mapping program that takes real world data and plots it onto an empty map for the game. You gotta fill out the roads, buildings and trees yourself but that's what I've been doing with my time. The maps tend to be on the big side so it takes quite a while to duplicate the road system in Spokane or Bellingham but it's nice to bring the unfinished map into a sandbox game and watch the cars drive along I-5.

Really digging the endgame of Payday 2 as of late.

At current trajectory I'll hit infamous in two weeks.

I've been putting them as fast as I can, but I don't have enough jets to cover different continents. So I figured that I'd cover all of Europe first with satellite coverage, then move on to another continent.

It's annoying to see people in the U.S. panicking, when I kill some aliens in China. Don't they have a military or something to blow up a couple random aliens, while I'm busy fighting the good fight elsewhere?

I guess I just don't like that game mechanic. I pick 1 out of 3, I always go for the one in the region that's most going insane, and in the end I end up the loser. Bleh.

It's much better to focus on the regions you want to protect and give up on the rest, rather than attempting to keep panic down everywhere. You can lose 7 nations IIRC without losing the game.

Satellite spam is a good reliable strategy (though far from the only one, even on higher difficulties). To do it optimally, you want to be launching 3-4 satellites in each of the first two months, focused on 2-3 continents (depending on which one's you've gone for). That said, on anything under impossible, this is probably overkill, and you've got longer to get them online, but if going for a sattelite based strategy, I'd certainly want 8 online by the end of month 3.

Back this up with your choice of abduction missions - if you're about to send a satellite to a nation/continent, don't worry about doing a mission there. Add in the fact that satellited nations don't get abductions, and, after the initial couple of abductions where the rewards are arguably the most important (need more engineers), you should be focusing on one, maybe two continents that you don't intend to satellite soon.

I my current game (C/I, going for the achievement where you never increase squad size), I'm coming to the end of month 3. I've got NA, SA and Africa covered in satellites (started NA) with 2 laser equipped interceptors in each. 3/4 of Europe has been lost. I could satellite Asia too, but that can wait as I'm spending my cash elsewhere and I can easily keep the panic in one continent down. And this is certainly not with the most optimal plays.

To do it optimally, you want to be launching 3-4 satellites in each of the first two months, focused on 2-3 continents (depending on which one's you've gone for). That said, on anything under impossible, this is probably overkill, and you've got longer to get them online, but if going for a sattelite based strategy, I'd certainly want 8 online by the end of month 3.

How??

Each time I've played I couldn't put up more than 2 satellites in the first couple turns, because you need one of those.. satellite receiving station or whatever it's called. You know, the thing that allows you to put up 2 satellites?

But before I can build that, I have to go through a bunch of stuff.. like getting more engineers and power.

By the end of month 3 I have 1 satellite in place, with another one almost ready to go. I'm in month.. 8 now, and I still don't have more than 2, I'm still building up the infrastructure and resources to be able to launch #3.

What am I doing wrong?

for the lastfew months or so???...

MadTV: so far, i'm bad at it. maybe i should just be boring and follow the walkthrough. or uninstall it. i never had much patience for sim games, except maybe themepark.

Spacequest V: i have no idea why i'm playing another GAG when i have few GAGs in my backlog already. but the voice acting/dialog is hilarious.

cannon fodder: stuck at mission 9 i think. damn the difficulty really scales up quickly!!!

life with dawks: not really a game but part of set of "culture sims" made with qbasic supposedly for educational purposes.

gorky17/odium: almost near the end again. probably my third time beating this game? but i'm rusty, failed a few battles so far. got bored and neglected it for months

fallout tactics: funfunfun. audio and graphic bugs, not so fun. micromanagement especially bullet management definitely not fun. also neglected too.

dungeon keeper 1: er... stuck at level.... 8 or 9. games lags too much in "hi-res" svga mode during big battles, & doesn't work with filters. lo-res mode is really ugly. ihate early 3D graphix.

How??

Each time I've played I couldn't put up more than 2 satellites in the first couple turns, because you need one of those.. satellite receiving station or whatever it's called. You know, the thing that allows you to put up 2 satellites?

But before I can build that, I have to go through a bunch of stuff.. like getting more engineers and power.

By the end of month 3 I have 1 satellite in place, with another one almost ready to go. I'm in month.. 8 now, and I still don't have more than 2, I'm still building up the infrastructure and resources to be able to launch #3.

What am I doing wrong?

Satellite rush is a strategy you have to commit to 100% if you want to not lose any countries. It is doable but you will be 100% focused on it for the first 3 months or so. Guide: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Satellite_Rush_(EU2012)

This guide assumes you don't have the expansion or any of the DLC, although the expansion and DLC actually make it easier because you can get a couple of extra missions = more stuff to sell for money. But it's fully doable even without any of the optional add ons.

Top Bottom