Mongol Scenario

LuckyArt

Chieftain
Hi Everybody! I've read all the threads re this scenario and have won on immortal before the last patch. Since then , no luck on deity. A couple of questions: Has anyone beat this on deity since the last patch? and if so, how? Is buying a courthouse smart? It seems to me a waste of gold. i.e; if i have a puppet and am running -13 happiness and then annex, i go to -17, buy a courthouse and happiness goes back to -13. Diplomacy: I've never been good at diplomacy, could someone direct me to a thread explaining good ways to get other civs to dow, pls? This achievement is the last one for me to get before I buy G&K. Thx in advance for any help.

I got this one May 18, 2012, but that is probably before the G&K patches. The civfanatics threads really had all the advice one needed to win at deity, its just a long, fight. (and a good feeling when Russia falls)

How far have you got so far?

I guess the save from my thread (link in signature) still works.

An annexed city with a courthouse will produce less unhappiness than a puppeted city (especially noticeable in larger cities).

I think in this scenario on deity it's necessary to burn a lot of cities rather than taking them.

I just a few weeks ago completed this on deity (there hasn't been a patch since I've completed it).

So my advice would be as follows: First, raze every city possible (so non-capitols). If you can keep focused and not lose any units you don't need a large army. I completed it with 1 horseman, 7-8 keshiks, 2 khans, 7 frigates and 2 swordsman. I had razed every city I could and had the resources for that army and navy. If you only use the horseman to attack cities that are completely redlined, you can attack with it at 1 hp and it will still win. I don't think my horseman was at full health after the first attack until I had conquered all but Japan.

As for unhappiness, I spent the majority of the time between -1 and -9, but if I went more than -10 I did not stop. I don't think I did more than 2-3 turns at -20 or worse. The thing with keeping any cities is, they will almost always cost more happiness than the luxes (and if a barb comes and pillages it's even worse) since a city is 3 unhappiness, a lux is 5 +, if it is size 2 you break even at one. In the several tries I made, the final one where I razed everything and said to heck with luxes was by far the easiest to manage happiness and gold.

There was 2 main keys to winning I found; conquer Western Xia and Korea, and ally the city states southwest of china (the one with the brown border, I believe the name starts with a D) and the city state between Persia and Arabia (green border). The reasons are:

Western Xia gives you 2 horseman, which you then can upgrade to Keshiks, meaning if you sell everything you can to Siam, DoW, sell to China, you should be able to upgrade and buy to have 6-7 keshiks before you go to war with China. Korea needs to be conquered to get to Japan. Korea was also the only city that I conquered that I annexed. In Korea I built a barracks, eventually an armory, and my navy.

The two I say to ally I allied for a very specific reason. You have to ally the one next to China before a DoW on China and the same goes for the one next to Arabia. If you don't ally them pre-war and the AI allies them, when you kill the AI and make peace you cannot enter the city-states terrority. Being an ally means they declare on the AI which guarantees you passage.
Being able to pass through the one southwest of China as opposed to having to go around saves several (5-6) turns if not more. The one next to Arabia allows for considerably better movement and positioning during the fight with Arabia if you are allies.

I think that taking the path through the marsh and jungle to the southwest of China is the ideal direction. With good use of movement and being able to pass through the city-state there you can make it from China's land to India's in 4 turns. You will lose more than that going around and then backward if you go Persia than India as far as I can tell.

As for the actual fighting, you want your keshiks fighting every turn, even if that means shooting a worker. I took the left side of honor off the bat so that I could get the higher experience. The sooner you get logistics the better. Usually by India all my Keshiks had logistics and were getting +1 range. I decided I liked the logistics-->+1 range-->city seige-->march path. Double attack first just seemed the most important. The range just means its easier to find targets. As for the navy, it was for japan, I took the city on the 2 tile fairly easily and eventually redlined the other 2 cities and captured them the same turn for the finally elimination. I had started the war with Japan at turn 30 or so and he was the last to fall. Taking the island with melee seemed like a waste so I just churned out a naval force of 7 units, got them all to 2 attack and 3 range, used 4 on the capitol and 3 on the other city and slowly wore them down.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions I can try and answer them.

I believe that Sidor (YouTube name sidor1982) created a video on the Mongol scenario (albeit at Emperor difficulty). Unfortunately, there are no Immortal- or Deity-level videos for this scenario.

I just a few weeks ago completed this on deity (there hasn't been a patch since I've completed it).

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions I can try and answer them.

I am playing the scenario on deity and I have puppeted all cities. Could you tell me what turns which civs you conquered?

Like China turn xx to yy.

I'd like to know whether I am still in time. IIRC I started war with Persia 63 turns to go. Got 2 cities due to a peacedeal, conquered India, started war with Arabia 40 turns to go, Have to conquer Arabia, Greece, Russia and Japan still.

I am playing the scenario on deity and I have puppeted all cities. Could you tell me what turns which civs you conquered?

Like China turn xx to yy.

I'd like to know whether I am still in time. IIRC I started war with Persia 63 turns to go. Got 2 cities due to a peacedeal, conquered India, started war with Arabia 40 turns to go, Have to conquer Arabia, Greece, Russia and Japan still.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but I was finishing a main land one every 12-13 turns, a little longer for Siam, China, India, and Persia. The first two because my army was smaller and I was taking Western Xia and Korea first. The latter two because of the extra movement. In the end I think I finished off Arabia with 30 or so turns left, Greece was very fast (2 cities and 3 range keshiks make it very easy), Russia lost a city every other turn.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I was finishing a main land one every 12-13 turns, a little longer for Siam, China, India, and Persia. The first two because my army was smaller and I was taking Western Xia and Korea first. The latter two because of the extra movement. In the end I think I finished off Arabia with 30 or so turns left, Greece was very fast (2 cities and 3 range keshiks make it very easy), Russia lost a city every other turn.

Thanks

Top Bottom