questions about gp farms

merockstar

Chieftain
Ok so I've been doing some reading and experimenting with GP farms. In my first successful GP farm experiment I took, with the help of this forum, a greek civ on noble to a cultural victory.

I've since progressed to Prince and played a space race victory out with a german civ (for the philosophical trait), in which I used a GP farm to make super fast sciences.

I need some clarification though.

I really love GP farms, but is one really necessary for every civ (beyond a OCC)?

What do you do if you don't have a city that has enough food output to warrant a GP farm? Is it worth sacrificing studying what you want to get windmills and biology and whatnot to try and increase food output in a city? I've seen a couple games where the only city worthy of a gp farm was my capitol, so I moved my palace. If a civ isn't philosophical, and you feel like "hey this is obviously a commerce/production city, not a gp farm" is it ok to just skip or too detrimental to the game?

Is there any real cut and dry way of looking at a city (pre-improvements) and being able to tell "hey this would make a great spot for a GP farm!" I know that flood plains would produce an awful lot of food if farmed but oftentimes those don't have any like corn or seafood around them. My ideal GP farm would be a city on a coast with like 5 things of seafood and 3 or 4 land food resources with a river (lol). Sometimes I'll build a city thinking "gee, this looks like a pretty nice spot for a gp farm, i've seen better but not bad" then near end game some other less nice looking city somehow ends up having better food output. I don't know how I manage to do this.

With regard to flood plains and deciding whether to make a city a gp farm or not, is there any extra benefit at all to making a flood plains square a cottage-->town? Or are those just the desert's gift to food output?

Finally, what would be the most optimal map settings to creating a world conducive to GP farming?

Any other tips you can offer me as I continue to master this craft of city specialization?

Thanks for your opinions.

POST IN THE RIGHT FORUM!!! This is Civ Rev, not Civ 4. It seems like half of the people who post in this section of the forum think they are supposed to be discussing about Civ 4.

Top Bottom