PreferreLegality of Teaching Holocaust Denying in Home-School (nation-by-nation poll)

Should It Be Legal To Homeschool Your Child That The Holocaust Never Happened?

• USA- Yes

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • USA- No

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Europe- Yes

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • Europe- No

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other- Yes

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other- No

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters

scipian

Czar
Obviously, there are differences in how Europeans and Americans look at freedom of speech. Europeans have a history of outlawing holocaust denying and hate speech while the US has always been extremely permissive. And also Europe experienced first-hand the genocide while the US saw it from afar. So I think, based on these assumptions and the discussion thread here, that there will be enormous differences.

And, yes, I screwed up the title. I am in a hurry to get to my family's lunch. Not much time for proofreading.

USA - legal

Freedom of speech (or any freedom) shouldn't be dependent on what point on the globe you happen to be.

And, yes, I screwed up the title. I am in a hurry to get to my family's lunch. Not much time for proofreading.
You also screwed up by not making the poll public, so we can't actually see/check that people have voted according to where they are from or not.

Probably not as there are definate pictures and first hand testimonies of the holocaust.

You also screwed up by not making the poll public, so we can't actually see/check that people have voted according to where they are from or not.
I trust that people aren't so pathetic as to lie on a forum poll.

US citizen, spent most of my life in Europe. I'm not quite sure which category I belong in.

Other (UK) Voted (No)

Children have the right to be educated, not indoctrinated in evil;
and Holocaust denial is evil. If parents can not or won't try to
educate their children properly; then the state should do that.

It is not in the interests of child or state for child to be a Nazi.

The UK is in Europe, right? :)

@ EdwardTking ?

So far, with the limited sample, it seems to be true that Europeans want restrictions while Americans want more freedoms. I suppose that the Europeans will vote more later on (considering that most of this is happening in late night/early morning in Europe).

Other (UK) Voted (No)

Children have the right to be educated, not indoctrinated in evil;
and Holocaust denial is evil. If parents can not or won't try to
educate their children properly; then the state should do that.

It is not in the interests of child or state for child to be a Nazi.

This has nothing to do with being a Nazi. I have 3 friends who don't believe don't believe the holocaust happen. 2 are 9/11 crazy, and the other was my black roommate when i was in the Marines. none were Nazi, just dumb/crazy people.

Illegal as in possible fine and/or jail time? Then I say no.

Illegal as in your license or right to home school may be revoked? (Due to teaching things that do not correspond with the accepted curriculum) Yes.

As is so often the case, there's a vast difference between legal and moral.

Is it and should it be legal to teach holocaust denial? Yes. It would be against freedom of speech to make holocaust denial illegal.

Is it moral to teach it? No. Most holocaust deniers are either anti-semitic, neo-nazis, or both. None of these positions are morally good.

But since the question is only on the legality, I had to vote "yes."

No more illegal than going against any other subject taught in public schools.

If you want to teach your kid that Pi = 3 because the Bible says so (and it does), then by all means, refute math. When your kid suffers in life, be ready to accept the blame.

It isn't moral, but it should be legal. I think having the government ban teaching unpopular or even stupid ideas would be worse than having people teach them. It's easier to convince people when they're older that what they were taught as children is wrong (Or even just leave them be) than it is to deal with a government that controls freedom of thought and belief.

If you want to teach your kid that Pi = 3 because the Bible says so (and it does), then by all means, refute math. When your kid suffers in life, be ready to accept the blame.
Where does the Bible say that pi exactly equals 3? I'm genuinely curious, but if you're going to make an assertion like that, you need to have the evidence ready.

Where does the Bible say that pi exactly equals 3? I'm genuinely curious, but if you're going to make an assertion like that, you need to have the evidence ready.

1 Kings 7:23 said:
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

for clarification so we know we're talking about a circle

2 Chronicles 4:2 said:
Also he made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and five cubits the height thereof; and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

This naturally doesn't take away from the message of the Bible. It's impractical to be so precises when copying by hand.

Yeah, that's just silly.

And, to clarify, I am very much against holocaust denying. I just think that it should be legal, even while not being moral.

Top Bottom