The Medmod VI

Bug Report: There was a bug in the previous upload that prevented Knights and Lancers from upgrading, so if you have the May 2nd version of the mod you'll need to download it again.

Re: Graywolfe- I haven't uploaded the mod to the system yet. I probably will after this next game patch comes out. In the meantime, you can download it from the attachment to the initial post and upzip it into your MODS folder.

Hi Chief, I just downloaded V4 of your mod. Upon launch however, the tiles immediately adjacent to my settler & warrior are occupied by several City State settlers & warriors. I suspect I have done something incorrectly....please advise. Thanks Jim

Hi Chief, I just downloaded V4 of your mod. Upon launch however, the tiles immediately adjacent to my settler & warrior are occupied by several City State settlers & warriors. I suspect I have done something incorrectly....please advise. Thanks Jim

This is a new one for me. Are you using some kind of funky, overcrowded map? The mod increases the space between cities by 1. That's the only thing I can think of. This is a pretty comprehensive mod, so be careful when using other mods along with it.

Thanks Wes for your reply. I tried a couple different maps, Earth and large Continents, with the same problem. I did have a few other active mods and suspect your suggestion that there is a conflict with one is right on. I'd used; No Nukes, Goody Huts, Alternate ranged combat, Unlimited barbarian HPs, Duke difficulty level, and a couple UI mods. In a day or so, I will try again starting only with Medmod VI and adding other mods one at a time to see if I can detect where the conflict enters the picture. Thanks for your help.
Jim

Hi Wes, I backed out most of the other mods I was using and no longer get the "unsettled" settler map problem. However, I ran into something else. I suspect the cause is another mod conflict but wanted to see if you had run across this problem or have any suggestions. After researching trapping I was not presented an option of researching Civil Service. So, I went into the tech tree to verify & chart the path, and the game froze. After reloading an autosave file I continued playing for another 30 turns but then tried entering the tech tree and froze once more. Next reload and I stayed away from the tree. Ended up researching everything available to me until there were NO tech options for me to select. Was never presented the option to research Civil Service.
The mods I played with were; Medmod, Mod List, No Nukes, Sniper Mod, and about 10 of Ambrox62's wonders. Thanks - Jim

That's an issue I had. I'm wondering if somehow the tech tree depends upon the update history, because WesW doesn't have this issue, and I am only using this and 24-hour clock.

Thanks Windscion. I'm not using the 12 or 24 hour clock mod. However I have found an irregularity in installation setup as this was the 1st mod I've downloaded that didn't go thru the mod broswer. In the Mods folder I had a folder named Medmod VI, however when I unzipped I ended up with ANOTHER Medmod VI folder under the first one which held the mod files themselves. I have since removed the duplicate folder and will try again soon.
Thanks. Jim

Thanks Windscion. I'm not using the 12 or 24 hour clock mod. However I have found an irregularity in installation setup as this was the 1st mod I've downloaded that didn't go thru the mod broswer. In the Mods folder I had a folder named Medmod VI, however when I unzipped I ended up with ANOTHER Medmod VI folder under the first one which held the mod files themselves. I have since removed the duplicate folder and will try again soon.
Thanks. Jim

The zip file creates the Medmod VI folder for you, so all you have to do is upzip it into the MODS folder. I wouldn't think that the extra folder layer would cause a problem, though.
Windscion had his problem when he tried to continue a saved game. Perhaps your problem is the same? If so, then I have an idea about what is happening, but not being a programmer I don't have the vocabulary to explain it all that well.

very nice mod :)

I especially like the tech repacing, feels much better than the vanilla game (although I only played a half game vanilla, so I am not an expert on that one)

had the same problem as JammerK with Civil service tech

could fix it by adding this to tech.xml. basically civil service had education as prereq and education had civil service as prereq, which caused never ending loop.

Code:
		<Delete TechType="TECH_EDUCATION" PrereqTech="TECH_CIVIL_SERVICE"/>	
		<Row>
			<TechType>TECH_EDUCATION</TechType>
			<PrereqTech>TECH_PHILOSOPHY</PrereqTech>
		</Row>

Thanks, Sephi. It makes me wonder how my game was working.

NEW VERSION POSTED. I have posted version five of the mod, which contains Sephi's fix, along with a few other changes, which I'll list here.
Costs of Musketmen and Riflemen raised by 25 and 35, respectively, in order to smooth the transition through the ages.
Tech costs raised again, this time on Renaissance techs and up.
Landsnecht raised to 15 strength and 125 cost.
Ironworks now require Iron and add 2 prod. to each source of iron, though they only give 6 prod. otherwise. This means that you'll have a net gain in cities with multiple sources of iron.

I really like this mod, but capturing cities is nearly impossible in the early game, especially when they have walls and/or situated on hills. It's made even more difficult when cities have more deadlier attacks and are taking your units out left and right.

All early units, including siege weapons don't even do a tenth of damage to most cities, rendering them useless for conducting sieges. It's far better to just sit on defense and let the enemy stumble into your death trap. It really doesn't get easier until about the Renaissance age.

Anyway, that's my only problem with this great mod (which fixes a lot of things that really needed fixing).

If you care at all about your units, you will have no luck at capturing cities early. You need a Duke of Wellington attitude: they are scum, fit only to die for your purposes. Also, expect to lose 4-8 units in the process. You want to surround the city as far as possible, attack with melee units every turn, especially wounded melee units -- since they will die and allow another attacker to engage the city! Cities heal at a ridiculous rate, so speed is everything. That, and bringing replacements for your slaughtered units. Never attack a city with less than 5 units unless you have a serious edge -- gunpowder vs steel, for example.

Myself, I much prefer to get markets in my cities, then go to war. Fielding lots of units can bleed you dry in a hurry until your economy is humming.

Biggest issue I have is research -- I need to expand ruthlessly to get the population to research in a timely manner. Also, Ghandi is just absurdly OP: by the industrial age, you should be able to completely ignore luxuries. This helps a lot when everyone hates your warmongering guts :lol:

Downer, I agree that taking cities early is hard. Odd, since early on, before I released the mod, people were telling me that it was too easy to take cities early, so I originally had increased city defense and heal rate. I changed my mind after trying to actually take a walled city with only swordsmen. Now the only change the mod makes to the default settings is to increase the hill bonus slightly, though for the next version of the mod I have slightly increased the effect of garrisoning a unit in the city from 20 to 25% of the unit's strength. I don't get around to conquering people until at least the middle ages, and by that time I feel that things are well balanced.

Windscion, I agree about Gandhi. I played as him once, and it was absurdly easy to be a warmonger with his bonuses, so I have decided to nix them some for the next version.
For the research costs, I go by my own progress as well as the AI's. I'm playing on Emporer now, so maybe that skews things a little for some people. In my current game, for example, before I made the last increases, Gandhi had oil in the late 1700's, which shouldn't happen.
Note that this was on a large map with only 8 civs and 16 cs's, so everyone gets to found about 10-12 cities. If you would like to set your default settings to this, you can do so by going into CIV5Worlds.xml. It's just a text file, and the settings are readily apparent when you read them.

If anyone likes, I can show you how to set your game to reveal the map with any tech you wish, then out-comment the reveal and re-start as normal. It's great for getting a good starting location for each game without wasting time on normal exploration. Myself, I usually go through about a dozen maps before finding one I like, so this has saved me many hours.
Getting a strong starting location each time gives you a more consistent game experience, thereby letting you choose a better level to play on. (Imo, fewer AI civs give you stronger opponents, too.)

Actually, Wes, re: maps/exploration early, I was just thinking that I would prefer to start with a scout vs a warrior, since your cities themselves are safe from Barbs. I imagine that's easy enough to do, can you tell me how to do that?

Actually, Wes, re: maps/exploration early, I was just thinking that I would prefer to start with a scout vs a warrior, since your cities themselves are safe from Barbs. I imagine that's easy enough to do, can you tell me how to do that?

Odd. I found the section of CIV5Civilizations.xml which contains the free units that civs start with, but it only listed settlers. I don't think I've ever come across this setting anywhere else, either. I guess you could mod the xml to give you a scout in addition to the warrior, if you would like that.
Add this Row to the Civilization_FreeUnits section for every civ you want to change:

<Row>
<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</CivilizationType>
<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SCOUT</UnitClassType>
<Count>1</Count>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_EXPLORE</UnitAIType>
</Row>

Btw, does anyone have any ideas for pumping up the English civ's bonuses? I figure that extra ship movement is pretty lame on standard maps, and on the Pangea maps I play with it's totally useless. Note that I don't know how to create new bonuses, so it would have to be some variation or imitation of an existing bonus.

Okay, I think I'll take back what I said about sieges being impossible. It's the estimate that the game gives you when attacking a city that makes it seem like it's impossible when all you really have to do is keep throwing units at the city. It's still costly and involves more maneuvering to get your units in place to attack, but it's not so bad anymore. :)

Btw, does anyone have any ideas for pumping up the English civ's bonuses? I figure that extra ship movement is pretty lame on standard maps, and on the Pangea maps I play with it's totally useless. Note that I don't know how to create new bonuses, so it would have to be some variation or imitation of an existing bonus.

Well, I always set the number of city-states to zero, which makes certain civ's bonuses equally useless. Can you grant a tribe a bonus (unresearchable) tech? That technique was used a lot in Civ 4. That might give you a bit more leeway for providing bonuses. Say, a tech that improves the yield of trade tile improvements, so now you don't have to wait for economics. (Not usre if that would stack, tho.) Honestly, the longbowman is a pretty decent UU, so I don't really feel sorry for the Brits, even on Pangea.

Expect a new version soon- a big update. If anyone has any questions or requests, now's the time to make them.

I think that minimal 2 hexes between cities is better on Standard Maps

4 hexes is nice for Huge Maps

And what not 1 hexe only like in Rhyes Mod ? two-three cities from different civs would lead to war...

Cities are not all condemned to be overpopulated...

Top Bottom