WH40K-teaser mod (60 - 144 new units + some other stuff)

I get sad evety time i think about this MOD not being a playable one :( sad sad sad

The artwork here is very well done. I downloaded this a while back and I'm sure I'll incorporate some units in my Éa fantasy mod (the big bad demon thingy for sure). Unfortunately, orcs with machine guns doesn't fit the mod setting.

I wish Skajaquada (or someone else with this ability) was working on some fantasy units for Civ5...

Fantasy Units yeah, including animals of course, that would be awesome.

I've been playing around with a near-future mod of my own lately, so I decided to try and see if I could get some of the Imperial Guard models to work for units. I've got the soldiers and the Baneblade working -- mostly. They show up normally on the map, and even appear animated when attacking, but I'm not getting any sound or gun effects. I templated them around WWII Infantry and Tanks, using the default graphics for their shots, but they didn't appear. I even tried adding in the railgun attack information from the GDR.

I'm guessing that this might be due to the animation effects included in the original files, but I'm not sure how or where these might get included in the current formats...

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Okay, so I got all the visual elements to work, by piggybacking the additional viseffects data into the expansion file. It all looks pretty awesome.

My only complaint is that, for some reason, my Baneblade keeps causing massive blast effects when it attacks things, and I can't for the life of me figure out why...

It sounds like the hit-effects are just too scaled up. I think they're in one of the two XML-files with a list of all the units... I can't really remember the name and they could all have changed this much later. Now that I think about it I think that one also controls the size of the actual unit so it's probably best to just scale down the hit-effects in the effects-XML. I think you can see the name of the hit-effects used in that unit-list XML and then search for them in the effects-XML.

It sounds like the hit-effects are just too scaled up. I think they're in one of the two XML-files with a list of all the units... I can't really remember the name and they could all have changed this much later. Now that I think about it I think that one also controls the size of the actual unit so it's probably best to just scale down the hit-effects in the effects-XML. I think you can see the name of the hit-effects used in that unit-list XML and then search for them in the effects-XML.

Yay, you're still around! Your last post I'd seen was from December so I wasn't sure. I do want to say that I'm really glad I found these, as they are very cool units and I'm glad to finally have something I can use to represent near-future infantry and tanks. :3

You're probably right about the hit-effects. I was planning to go through some of the XML files this weekend, although I'm not sure it's anything in the viseffects files, and I had to redo the artdefines files to be compatible with G&K.

At one point, I had the the animations file (.fxsxml, I think?) working, but hadn't added in the viseffects components yet, so I had sound and animation but none of the muzzle flashes. The blast effects were occurring then, though, so I'm thinking it's likely one of the calls to an existing Civ V animation -- probably the hit effects you're referring to. Since the Baneblade has a scale factor of 3, compared to something like 0.1 for the standard vehicles, it could be that the standard Civ impact effect got scaled up too. I'm not sure where the standard Civ viseffect files are stored, though... I could only find the G&K ones.

Okay, I think the culprit was in the <ArtDefine_UnitMemberCombatWeapons> , which had a line for HitEffect. Removing that got rid of the oversized blasts, so it looks great now!

That is exactly what's causing it. Every mod that adds new unit art defines must be rewritten after patch .674

...So has anyone gotten a working G&K version of these art defines put together? I see there are one-offs people have done, but an updated xml would be very helpful...

I had to redo the artdefines files to be compatible with G&K.
Oh, just saw this... upload? :D

...So has anyone gotten a working G&K version of these art defines put together? I see there are one-offs people have done, but an updated xml would be very helpful...

Oh, just saw this... upload? :D

I haven't converted all (or even most!) of the files yet -- I mostly worked on some of the various Imperial Guard models to use for near-future infantry and tanks. But I can try to upload the mod I did to put them together, so people at least have a template to use.

The tricky part is the fact that they use additional viseffects, and so far the only way I know to add them in is to piggyback them onto the viseffects file G&K uses to add new effects (for the Dromon, for example). It seems like the kind of thing a mod should be able to simply add, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it other than modifying the existing viseffects file in the G&K folders.

Hmmm, ok, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info (and anything, guidelines, etc. you can share!), mischa.

(I'm not shy when it comes to manipulating data & logic, but something about visual effects intimidates me ;) )

I'm sorry for being a pain but can someone help me
I have the problem of the fact that all the units turn up as spear men
I did read the same problem earlier in the thread but was slightly confused, I did try and get the patch and also tried a larger scale mod but to no avail
I am using a hacked version but only because I wanted to try out the game before I buy it and since this has always been something that would persuade me to buy it I wanted to see what it was like and to see if it was worth buying the game for.
So any suggestions would be nice to anyone who could help me
Thank you

MrPopo

The mod is not up-to-date anymore. Since it was done the way unit skins are handled has been changed.
All units using the old code will display as spearmen.
I am using a hacked version but only because I wanted to try out the game before I buy it
Don't use hacked versions! you would not work for free? why should programmers do it?

The mod is not up-to-date anymore. Since it was done the way unit skins are handled has been changed.
All units using the old code will display as spearmen.

Don't use hacked versions! you would not work for free? why should programmers do it?

Alas I wish I could buy it right now and I shall as soon as possible but as I said I am just trying it out and shall buy it when I have the money to. I am not asking anyone to work for free, it is just the transition period until I get the money.

Back to the point at hand is there anyway to resolve this?

@MrPopo, I believe the relevant tutorial thread is:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=461429

Even if you go to the effort to get the units to appear properly, this isn't a functional mod. You can usually figure that out by reading the last page of a mod's thread. The OP also makes it pretty clear that the mod was never finished. (The units are fantastic though. I believe Skajaquada posted it primarily as a resource for other modders.)

Ok I knew that it was never finished but by the reactions of the first comments I thought it would work
Thanks for the help and AWESOME MOD XD

I did get a few of the models working, and put them together into a near-future mod that I really should just toss up in the forums as a reference for anyone else who wants to use them. At the very least, I could post the modified art files I completed...

I did get a few of the models working, and put them together into a near-future mod that I really should just toss up in the forums as a reference for anyone else who wants to use them. At the very least, I could post the modified art files I completed...

If we could get this mod up to date, That'd be awesome.
Otherwise all this good work would go to waste

Top Bottom