Anno Domini Gods and Kings

I implemented the fix and it works, thanks for fast reaction :)

Great that you got it working! Thanks again, Tomatekh, I have implemented it now and you're right, it works!!

Post #2 now contains a patch that rectifies this issues and also corrects the issues with era art and with the era names on the tech screen. Additionally, I've added in Tomatekh's updated Garamantes icon art and map. I will now go over to Atomic Gamer to update the main download with these changes ;).

Very cool mod. Any thoughts about making a custom map/script to go along side?

Thank-you :D. I've not really got into maps - never did in the old Civ III days to be honest! Whilst I'm not ruling it out, at the moment, I'm concentrating on getting the mod finalised (with some finishing touches I'll be releasing a week on Monday/Tuesday), then we'll see. If it becomes popular, maybe some players will make maps/scenarios based on the Anno Domini world...which would be really great. There's plenty of civs available so that several scenarios could be done - the Greek wars and Roman Britain to name but two.

Hope those of you who are playing the mod are enjoying it. A couple of thoughts about v2 due out a week Monday/Tuesday:

Should I introduce a new tech - say "Tactics" after logistics and before bowmanship so that we could have a mid-range spearman - and maybe move Heroic epic there?

Also, I'm considering using some of the city state diplomacy mod in Anno Domini - previously I was unaware of it. The scribe could have the bonus to envoy units; and we could have a couple of diplomatic units within the mod - perhaps one of those being at "Tactics".

Any thoughts?

Hey Rob,

Mighty congrats to you for getting your wonderful Anno Domini mod out for CiV. Very impressed with your rapid progress and very excited to have the opportunity to play.

Those of us, like me, who played and loved Civ 3 Anno Domini for some many countless hours, know that you're a top modder and have no doubt created another classic. I look forward to playing this, once I get G&K that is, and I totally agree with you deciding to utilise and make the most of all possible assets and mechanics available. Mods should be all they can be.

Though I haven't taken this for a whirl yet, from a theoretical design perspective it makes very good sense to have that mid-game spearman and also to exploit the City States diplomacy mod, which seems like a very good and necessary tweak. The envoys and other units fit with the era your mod covers very well and they will offer all kinds of very welcome gameplay dynamics. Indeed, they will fill in some of the gaps that you get when there is an absence of modern era units. Not that this has ever been a problem, but it can only be a good thing to have such non-military units around.

Finally, though I've not yet had the time to explore making scenarios with CiV, I may do some time. Transposing "Hegemon! Of The Classical Greek World!" from Civ 3 to CiV is something I've thought about before. Maybe others more familiar and capable will beat me to it. Either way, and in the meantime, I'm mighty glad and grateful to you for indulging all us fans of the ancient era.

Sensational having you here in Civ V, Rambuchan!! Thanks for the kind works and now there's plenty of Greek world LHs and units for you to put your excellent Hegamon! into Civ V. I found the transition to Civ V modding not without it's frustrations at times, but once you get the hang of what you're doing, a lot of the shackles we had in Civ III are removed.

It goes without saying that you can, if you wish, use any of my graphics or code in anything you do. Incidently, what I found really useful was to download a couple of scenarios and mods and reverse-engineer what they've done. Putmalk and Ambrox62 have done some brilliant stuff and I learnt a lot from looking at how they did it.

Yes, for quite a while I've been quietly trawling around all the art people have been making for CiV. I've been really pleased to see so much attention paid to our more distant historical actors and that the quality is so high. Knowing what a massive undertaking making a scenario is, I've deliberately been putting off trying out any modding with this version. But I can't help myself from reading around and the itch is growing. Your contribution alone will come in very handy indeed, if and when the time comes. And I encourage other modders to work with your and others' material to make more ancient era scenarios. The assets are certainly now there to do so.

One thing I forgot to mention: Do you plan on making Anno Domini Gods & Kings available through the Steam Workshop? It's a massive shop window and there are many players on Steam who are not on CFC who would devour your mod with glee.

One thing I forgot to mention: Do you plan on making Anno Domini Gods & Kings available through the Steam Workshop? It's a massive shop window and there are many players on Steam who are not on CFC who would devour your mod with glee.

Yes I do; thing is, with this version, there were a couple of things I wanted to do to tidy up the modding - and also knew there'd be an odd bit wrong or missing. That got proved right when I didn't mod the Armenian trait correctly! I'll look to add the extra spearman (checking on graphics though) and the city-state diplomacy in and then upload it to steam. The expected date of that is around 5th March.

You are sensible to wait for total completion and for those inevitable little creases to be ironed out. Very glad to hear you've got Steam in mind. The world will be a better place around March 5th!! And I should have picked up G&K by then too. I just keep missing the sales.

Quick update: elements of the city-state diplomacy are in: there's an envoy with writing, a diplomat with diplomacy and an abassador with citizenship. The scribe's building has been updated so that it now also reduces the cost of building diplomatic units by 40%.

I've also placed "tactics" inbetween logistics and bowmanship, allowing a middle-range spearman, then switched the places of machinery and defense strategy.

Over the next week - particularly next Sunday/Monday, I'll be ensuring everything I want to be updated has been with a view to uploading a completed version - including availability on Steam :).

Hi Rob thanks for this mod, very enjoyable.

Some feedback:

Omphelia is ridiculously overpowered. +1 gold on mines plus +1 gold on any resource with 3 gold makes her unstoppable. I'd suggest removing the +1 gold on resources with 3 gold. It's just too much of a bonus, the amount of gold she can make compared with any other Civ is just not balanced.

Additionally her unique unit replacing crossbowmen leads to the game wanting me to replace longbowmen with the not very good Lydian Nobles. Can I suggest it replace a different unit?

---

Sparta is underpowered. Especially now you are considering adding a mid-range spearman with 14Str that will instantly negate the already very weak Spartan Hoplite. Can I suggest the Hoplite replace this new mid-tier spearman? With 16Str? That will give the Spartans an actual unit that is useful. Their leader perk is also very weak compared to other Civs. Maybe an additional +2 culture to the Spartan Barracks or similar to give them a little boost (after all warfare is the Spartan version of culture!)

---

I also found Troy to be a weak option, but I cannot think of anything to balance them. I'll have to play them a little more. =)

Ionized - thanks for the feedback and welcome to CivFanatics!

Some excellent feedback there. Omphelia - yep, get that, I can reduce it to mines only. Lydian Nobles....hmmm...will have to rethink which unit to replace. Maybe they could replace the scout? It would mean not being able to send a scout out (just use warriors) but would have the nobles later on? To be honest, by the time I did this civ, I'd already done 54 others and lots of civs had the horseman as a UU, so I wanted to try something else!

EDIT: Just had another thought - maybe they could replace slingers?

I'll add just one culture to the Spartan barracks; as they get them free, I don't want that to override anything else. However, I do agree that they (and some other UUs) could upgrade to the "heavy spearman" - which is what I'm naming the middle-range spearman. I've named the top one "garrison" which will have a mixed reaction, I'm sure. I just wanted to give it a universal name.

EDIT: Perhaps I could give them two culture for the barracks after all, but make it from after discovering bronze working? I believe I could do that as per Petra in the epic game - so they would get a boost but not an immediate one.

I agree that the Trojans are a weak option. I'll have to think if there's something else I could add to them. The question is though, with a mod like this, do you want all civs to have complete balance or do you want "easy" and "hard" civs to play to test your abilities?

Thanks for the welcome! =)

Yes I do agree that variety in difficulty and play style is nice and I don't suggest making change for the sake of making change. But, Troy is little too neutral tbh. =3

Replace slinger with the Nobles is good, it's the right era replacement, and slingers are only moderately useful so it's no loss.

The only other issue I've come across is that some of the Wonders are too easy to build and it is possible for both the player and the AI to Wonder stack a city and blast ahead in points. The really powerful Wonders (the +culture ones especially) might need to be a little more expensive.

Thanks! Have a good one!

Edit: Also the Treasury of Atreus doesn't appear to actually do anything, no +gold on hills and no +gold for the city. =/

Could this mod be extended to actually include Central & East Asian civilisations of that time?

Could this mod be extended to actually include Central & East Asian civilisations of that time?

It's a possibility, but with 55 civs already in there, I'm concentrating on those, and getting the mod right, first :). Maybe an expansion pack in the future. The other thing is that I'm also going to see if Firaxis/2k announce another expansion for Civ V (which I'm sort of expecting they will) and then deciding on the route for Anno Domini.

@Ionized: thanks for your comments. I'll check the Treasury of Atreus and the cost of culture-based wonders ;).

I'm looking forward to spending Sunday and Monday this week updating the mod. I've done a lot of the "donkey work" in spare moments I've had throughout the week, so I should be able to get a good update out there either Monday evening or Tuesday morning ;).

Does anyone have any last-minute considerations?

I love this mod so far!

The depth is what I think people only dreamt of before .... at least for up to medieval times and a bit of renaissance. My only complaint is that we can't keep going, even with the vanilla techs. Wouldn't you be able to connect vanilla industrial techs with the mod?

I know the purpose is Ancient Era depth, but it would complete the game even more.

I love this mod so far!

The depth is what I think people only dreamt of before .... at least for up to medieval times and a bit of renaissance. My only complaint is that we can't keep going, even with the vanilla techs. Wouldn't you be able to connect vanilla industrial techs with the mod?

I know the purpose is Ancient Era depth, but it would complete the game even more.

Thanks for your feedback. The point with the mod is that we stay in the ancient era; that's the scope of the mod and the reason I'd deleted the industrial techs -sorry!

Top Bottom