Is Firaxis against multiplayer mod support?

Fairfax

Chieftain
Custom map support was added recently and it works just fine. It requires only that both players have the same map file in their respective folders, which begs the question: why can't the same be done to other files?
The game also handles different DLC being available to different players or not, so it seems pretty clear to me that the tech is already there.
What's stopping it from happening? Is Firaxis against it in principle? I just want to know if it can still happen, it bothers me that this is the kind of suggestion/request they never address, and the game is 3 years old already.

Well, the "Pre-Fall Patch" balance patch did add in a Multiplayer option in the Mods menu, but it's currently nonfunctional. I'm hoping the full Fall Patch will add this feature in (finally!), but as neither the patch notes nor the Beta release have this capability, I'm kinda doubting it. Which sucks, because I would like to play modded multiplayer with friends...

Well, the "Pre-Fall Patch" balance patch did add in a Multiplayer option in the Mods menu, but it's currently nonfunctional. I'm hoping the full Fall Patch will add this feature in (finally!), but as neither the patch notes nor the Beta release have this capability, I'm kinda doubting it. Which sucks, because I would like to play modded multiplayer with friends...
I doubt it as well, it's one of the features that would benefit the most from a beta test.
No.
It is difficult at the moment for them. They are aware of the demand for it however.
How is it difficult? As I mentioned, the tech looks like it's already there. They can make the game recognize new map files which both users have - why can't they do the same to XML and Lua files?
It is possible it'd prove difficult indeed, but the fact they haven't talked about it at all in 3 years must say something.
firaxis is against multiplayer at all
not just the modding part
It's obviously not their focus, but I wouldn't go that far.

You have to be kidding, Civ 5 still doesn't support multiplayer for mods? :eek:

Not even for direct IP over LAN? I ask because I've yet to play the game but some of the best moments playing civ 4 was with family over lan. Currently we play Realism Invictus, which happens to be a mod.

if you do some googling all it took was adding a few lines they had taken out back in 2011... then they disabled it with a patch.

You have to be kidding, Civ 5 still doesn't support multiplayer for mods? :eek:

Not even for direct IP over LAN? I ask because I've yet to play the game but some of the best moments playing civ 4 was with family over lan. Currently we play Realism Invictus, which happens to be a mod.

Great mod, ain't it? My boys and I play LAN games on the weekends.. Copious amounts of snacks (in moderation of course :)), beverages, late hours, and the wifey just shakes her head and goes to her mothers.. Couldn't get any better :mischief:.

OT. I have yet been able to finish a MP game with civ v, as there usually is some type of problem by the time the CE rolls around. Didn't really get any decent answers from the 2K forums either, or even our vaunted 2K community reps (gee, go figure).

I find it kind of stupid that they don't have Multiplayer Mod support for the most moddable Civ game so far. Although there are no mods out there that take advantage of this huge moddability with Civ V, although some mod authors like the one of Prehistoric Era (BNW) mod by carloscodex (or apshai on the workshop) is planning on adding a nomadic system to the early game, which would have me playing for ages.

Top Bottom