Resource icon

Enhanced User Interface v1.29i

I do want to try to collaborate, but IMHO the changes you suggest either plain break the DLC (which is not quite fair) see point #2 or just may not work because DLC are loaded before mods: if the DLC calls LuaEvents which are not initialized because no mod is not loaded yet, will anything happen ? (BTW how does this work with mods ? Is the order in which they are loaded deterministic ?) (BTW2 I don't understand your reply to point#3: how about simply using the existing "TooltipTypeTopPanel")

Still I can make all of the changes hoping they do work, except for those which plain break the DLC's own callbacks (point #2):
Code:
Controls.HappinessString:RegisterCallback(Mouse.eRClick, function () LuaEvents.CityHappinessDisplay() end)
Controls.GoldPerTurn:RegisterCallback(Mouse.eRClick, function () LuaEvents.GoldAlertsDisplay() end)
Controls.TourismString:RegisterCallback(Mouse.eRClick, function () LuaEvents.GreatWorkmanagerDisplay() end)
As a solution, would it possible for me to instead modify the DLC's own callback functions to check if e.g. "LuaEvents.CityHappinessDisplay" is not nil, and if so call that instead of its own code ? Would that work ?

if the {anycode} calls LuaEvents which are not initialized because no mod is not loaded yet, will anything happen?

No. That's why you the code needs to both listen for a broadcast and send an event - you can't guarantee in which order the code in the two mods/dlc run

Most of items 1, 2 and 3 are moot, as the standard TopPanel.xml has these fields as labels not text buttons (which is why I use an overlay over the top panel) so LookupControl is useless as labels don't have the necessary methods
This is incorrect: I just checked and verified that "HappinessString", "GoldPerTurn", "TourismString" are all TextButtons in the unmodified game, so the changes I suggested are perfectly valid and fair
... hooks its tooltips and callbacks by calling "SetToolTipType()" and "RegisterCallback()" on ContextPtr:LookUpControl( "/InGame/TopPanel/xxx" ) where xxx is "HappinessString", "GoldPerTurn", "TourismString". Actually this is needed to avoid breaking the EUI DLC's own callbacks if your mod is not loaded
For "CurrentTurn" I had said I would make the change. For the events too now that I understand how they work.

I do hope we can come to a reasonable and fair compromise.

... except for those which plain break the DLC's own callbacks

TopPanel.lua registers nothing on right-click, so I'm confused as to what callbacks you think that code is breaking

This is incorrect: I just checked and verified that "HappinessString", "GoldPerTurn", "TourismString" are all TextButtons ...

and CurrentDate/CurrentTurn are labels ... my mods all integrate, so there's little point fixing A, B and C if I can't also find a solution for D and E

Minor changes to TopPanel.xml (search for "TooltipTypeDiary") and TopPanel.lua (search for "-- WH") to fix

• UI - City Happiness : TopPanel
  • UI - Diary : TopPanel
  • UI - Gold Alerts : TopPanel
  • UI - Great Work Manager : TopPanel
  • UI - Summary {Xyz} : TopPanel

players will need to download the latest versions of these from my web-site (which I'll update later today)

Do users need to download this 'Top Panel' zipped file or is that part of the updates for your (WHoward) mods and we simply download a new version of those 5 mods above (which, presumably, will include the updated Top Panel)?

Thanks.

Do users need to download this 'Top Panel' zipped file or is that part of the updates for your (WHoward) mods and we simply download a new version of those 5 mods above (which, presumably, will include the updated Top Panel)?

Thanks.

It would have been "download the updated mods, and download the zip file in the above post and manually unzip it over this dlc" ... but I've not updated the mods yet as I'm trying something out

The following mods of mine will be incompatible with this mod...
I have downloaded and tried whoward69's mods myself (although very superficially), and found the following mods to seem to work fine with the DLC:
  • Global - City State Gifts (BNW): only impact is not skipping city state greeting, very minor
  • UI - Improved City Banner : replaces DLC city banners, mouseovers and plot highlighting, the change is noticeable - your choice
  • UI - City Expansion : replaces DLC city screen improvements and plot highlighting, your call
  • UI - Overlay {Xyz} : only impact is reverting to bugged minimap resizing functionality no one but me has probably ever used, your call
  • UI - Condensed Promotions (GK) : replaces DLC minor changes with other minor changes, your call
  • UI - City Production Queue Enhancements : replaces DLC minor changes with other minor changes, your call
Mods incompatible with the DLC:
  • UI - Notification Options (GK) : will at least kill the DLC civilization & city state ribbon - i.e. the main part of the DLC - definitely not recommended. The DLC would need to be changed but I don't know how.

• UI - City Expansion
  • UI - City Production Queue Enhancements
  • UI - Condensed Promotions (GK)
  • UI - Notification Options (GK)

These 4 will NOT work correctly, as you will have half a context based on the standard code and half based on this mod - almost guaranteed to cause issues!

A UI context consists of two files, a LUA file and an XML file. Your mod loads new versions of both NotificationPanel.lua and NotificationPanel.xml. My mod only loads a new version of NotificationPanel.lua as it expects NotificationPanel.xml to be unchanged from the core game. So without more than superficial testing it is impossible to say what the outcome of such a mis-mash will be

Wow, this new UI is amazing! I tested it in the Spanish version of the game and it works perfectly (just some spelling issues). I'll be using this for my next games :)

However, I would like to have that pop-up that appeared over the map to tell you the type of terrain and it's yield.

In any case, excelent job, OP! :goodjob:

If there is a specific spelling issue, please post a snapshot, but this should come courtesy of Firaxis, since the EUI DLC currently does not have any of its own text – it just reuses existing game strings.
The map plot mouse over does show the yield when no unit is selected or a non-combat unit is selected (decluttering logic). Id does show more stuff if you UNcheck the "No Basic Tooltip Help" option (standard game option menu)

and CurrentDate/CurrentTurn are labels ... my mods all integrate, so there's little point fixing A, B and C if I can't also find a solution for D and E
Please find attached a simple solution which makes your mod truly independent, without the clunky overlay and luaevent scheme. All of your top panel mods can easily be modified the same way (even more easily when direct hooks to textbuttons are available). The only drawback is that it is not available on turn 1 of a newly created game, I am only a mod noob I am sure you know of an event which correctly fires at the start of the game to replace Events.ActivePlayerTurnStart which has this problem.

... the updates for your (WHoward) mods and we simply download a new version of those mods

All my mods EXCEPT "UI - Notification Options (GK)" should now be compatible. New versions can be downloaded from my mod web-site.

awesome interface with this one. this is really amazing. thank you so much for your time and effort. you made this game even more exciting.

would like to ask if someone tried this, with the popular mod "heroes of might and wisdom" from epicss and if it is playable with it.

Top Bottom