Checking out all Civs

FYI, I'm including a number of screenshots to the posts above for illustrative purposes.

edit: Btw, how can I find out what the random parameters have been set at for each game? Is there an in-game place, or do I have to go to some file?

Quick situation report on the Greece game (cf. screenshots above):

I started by building three Archers and two Hoplites and honed their Promotions on some barbarians and passed by Kilimanjaro on the way, as well as trying to catch a Dutch Worker. Unfortunately, the Dutch got a +30% City strength as Pantheon, so I had to be careful. The barbarians gave me a lot of CS influence however, and I soon had Sidon as ally, and shortly after, Monaco and Ur. To get a Worker, I took one from Kuala Lumpur and immediately sued for peace - the Greek UA made that rather easy to cope with.

I surrounded Amsterdam with my Archers and Hoplites, and one Spearman and Warrior I got from Sidon. But the Dutch never seemed to try to alleviate this at all - rather built Caravans, which of course were robbed as soon as they started moving. When I had a Catapult, I sent that down and started the assault. It took some time, as they had Walls, were built on a hill and had an Archer. However, it also showed seriously bad AI decisions, as they only built Caravans which I tried to lure out, but they stayed there. On the other hand, its Worker stayed safe inside throughout. Also, and crucially, the Dutch never attacked my Catapult, but rather Hoplites (which I could withdraw), one Archer (which got killed) and my Warrior (which I didn't care for). Had they attacked my Catapult, I would never have made it. I refused all peace proposals of course, and it fell after about 4 turns of siege and assaults.

Thereafter, I colonized the small continent and built up my empire in supreme isolation until about 1200-1300, slightly beelining for Astronomy. I understood I had fallen behind in Science and Wonder building, but it won't be an issue. By now, at 1560, I've mostly caught up and found the other continent with England, Maya, Persia and Songhai - ALL of which have featured in previous games (see above) - and a number of CS of which by now only three are outside my Alliance. I like that Greek UA, it's really easy to accomodate the realm to and difficult for the others to overcome. I'm going for World Congress votes, thus Industrial Era. Lost the Forbidden Palace though.

I'm guessing you're probably only doing each civ once, but to get a real feel for how the Zulu play, I'd definitely suggest playing a game in which you have some neighbors you get to steamroll. Otherwise, it'll feel pretty bland.

Yep, I have played them before, where the conditions were entirely different, and Domination was easy. The fact that I was so far behind to the other continent Scientifically, but still smashed them starting with inferior units although high Promotions, is actually quite a good indication on how great the Zulu UA and UU are :)

The Greece game was too easy from the time I found the other Civs (England, Maya, Songhai and Persia). I already had 10 CS Allies, giving me quite a good Science boost and the occasional Great Person (although the first TWO were Musicians, which I never needed), as well as enough Units to stay quite secure and more - particularly with the Kilimanjaro boost.

In fact, no one ever bothered with my small continent, which by 1700 was Culturally all mine, apart from the four CS Allies (sounds like CS Lewis that). They were too occupied with competing with each other, ending with a total English takeover of Songhai. As the Maya and the Persians both Denounced the English for this, I joined in (the English were Hostile anyway), and when Persia asked me to join a war, this fit my strategy quite well. I attacked the ex-Songhai cities with a force of clearly supreme units (Kilimanjaro helped massively between the English and Songhai starting locs, cf. screenshot), and easily conquered and liberated 3 out of 4 of them - providing me with two lifelong Friends in Persia and Songhai. All the CS were Greek Allies by that stage and stayed so for the remainder of the game. The English sued for Peace, offering me York, which had a number of Wonders (about eight I think) e.g. Notre Dame, Red Fort, Tower of Pisa. I took that offer, used three of my GGs to get some lebensraum toward London and the remaining ex-Songhai city, and cruised in to an EASY Diplo Victory - had 37 Delegates, needed 35, but Songhai also used their 4 Delegates on me :) End turn screenshots for the Greece game:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

My next game has provided me with the (often) dreaded - for their futility - Byzantium. I share a narrow, long continent with England (THIRD time this) and Iroqouis, both seemingly above average when it comes to AI strategy, but have quite a decent starting loc. I've not yet figured out what type of Vic I'm going for. As it's Emperor, and I seem to do quite well there (should probably have moved up to Immortal, but the parameters need to stay the same for comparison), I might try Domination. Otherwise, probably Cultural. Diplo seems too easy, although it depends somewhat on the other Civs.

Short summary of the Byzantium game. I went for early Religion, which as usual for me included Desert Folklore, Tithe and Pagodas, with Messiah, and due to try for Cultural Vic: Cathedral. However, I was not the only one going for Cultural it seemed. After building up our small continent, me, England and Iroquois sat idle for some time. I stole two Workers from the English in early-game, thus keeping them down, but still managed to become Friends later. However, the Iroquois were constantly 'plotting against me', even though we were Friends. Luckily, I could position a couple of units between two mountains and stay safe (see screenshot).

I got both Hagia Sofia and Great Mosque and never had Wealth issues due to my Tithing. Thus, I got a number of CS Allies. My second city (Adrianople) had good Production in the desert and got Petra and certain other Wonders, but both England and some other Civ built Culture Wonders heavily, and Iroquois took a number of others. Actually, the English took both Uffizi and Louvre just ahead of me, to my chagrin! Beelining for Astronomy, I found out that Aztecs and Songhai (AGAIN) shared a smallish continent, while Netherlands (AGAIN) had one for itself and was clearly in Scientific lead. I went for heavy Religious spreading, particularly toward CS and Netherlands, and it paid off, as they clearly went for befriending me throughout the game. Finally, the Iroquois attacked me (while Friends), but I could easily stave them off from my fortified point. The Songhai joined me and took a Iroquois city on its continent, but I only defended. Later, the Netherlands asked me to join an assault on Iroquois and I saw my opportunity to wipe them from my continent and take their Wonders. It was quite an easy takeover with some GG cultural extensions and artilleries.

Then I got news of a Songhai fleet and army on its way toward Constantinople. So I quickly relocated all units toward my eastern borders and entered a Defensive Pact with the Netherlands. At the same time, England DOW'ed me, but it was easily staved off - I also had most of the CS as Allies, the remainder being Allied to my good Friend the Dutch. I had chosen the same Ideology as them (Order) to keep them on my side, and their cities were mostly following my Religion. The English were also wiped from my continent without much difficulty, mainly due to Landships and Submarines. The Songhai were wiped by the Aztecs and Dutch on the other one. While I could have taken the Cultural Victory in time, I just grabbed the Diplo as the opportunity presented itself - and I was tired of that game.

A couple of points I can present already. While I won with Byzantium, they were not at all helped by either their UA nor their UUs (in that game at least). Thus, until now, they've been the most difficult Civ to get ahead with. Also, particularly Songhai (cf. earlier games), but also Aztecs are not playing well as AIs, while the English (cf. earlier games) and the Iroqouis are playing quite well in early-to-mid game as AIs - especially in terms of Wonders. Below are some screenshots, one early, one mid (notice the easy mountain pass control towards the Iroquois), and two end turn ones.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The next game gave me Indonesia with a coastal start on a river and next to Flood Plain and a small desert. Very acceptable. The continent is only shared with Venice and 5 CS, and is well provided with 9 [edit: 11] different Luxuries in all. I guess I'll have to crush Venice before they can take any of the CS and from then on colonize the entire continent and trade myself to Victory :) Not sure which one though.

The next game gave me Indonesia with a coastal start on a river and next to Flood Plain and a small desert. Very acceptable. The continent is only shared with Venice and 5 CS, and is well provided with 9 [edit: 11] different Luxuries in all. I guess I'll have to crush Venice before they can take any of the CS and from then on colonize the entire continent and trade myself to Victory :) Not sure which one though.

Try and put three cities on different landmasses, if possible. :D

Well, yeah, I gotta do that as well. It's their UA :) There was a small 7-8-tile island of tundra forest to my SW, so I've settled that for Nutmeg at least.

So that game was fun enough, although I was quite far behind in Science for some time. Caught up in Modern Era actually. I went for the 'smash Venice' start, which was quite easy, and took them before they had a chance to turn any CS (although it came close once). From then on I colonized my continent and three islands around for Luxuries, and almost never went into red Unhappiness. As the screenshots show, I had vast amounts of Lux and when I met the other continent, including Netherlands (again), Persia (again), France (again) and the Ottomans, I had filled all parts of mine in splendid isolation. I started a Religion, but got swamped by Persian Zoroastrianism, and when the others (who all followed the latter) voted it World Religion, I just dropped my Shinto and went for the two Votes instead. Starting map:

Spoiler :

I allied with CS all around in time, and soon dominated World Congress. The Dutch eliminated Ottomans and France in alliance with Persia, and had both Scientific, Military and Cultural lead until Industrial/Modern Era, so I decided to go for the easy Diplo (again). After a while, they of course DOW me, but I had produced so many Subs (7-8) that I fully controlled their invasion attempts (flawed AI), as well as filled my one city on their continent with units, so that was no threat. When I resurrected the French in their Capital, the Netherlands sued for peace and gave me Rotterdam (without me ever asking). Thus, again very flawed AI. Shortly thereafter, I took the Diplo Victory.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

My next game seems likely to be my first loss (judging from the starting conditions). Mayas with terrible starting location, Zulus right next door, Sweden and Austria on same continent, thus Diplo seems unlikely. Don't really know HOW I'm gonna pull that off. I guess the Zulu will attack me in Medieval Era or something. Maybe I can take out the Zulu before Impi?

Short description of my Maya game and the one after, with Shoshone. In fact, the Maya game turned out to go quite well. Far ahead in Science from early on, and managing to get GL and many other Wonders - importantly Great Wall (due to Shaka right on the doorstep). Stayed friendly with Sweden and Austria for quite a long time, although Shaka was warmongering on and off. But this was no issue with my advanced Scientific position. After a while I found that Celts and Shoshone shared the other, smaller continent, but the former had thrashed the latter to insignificance. Became and stayed Friends with the Celts through the game, which made Sweden Guarded. I had all the CS in my pocket before long and surfed into a Diplo Victory. Had only two cities for a long time, but founded one on an island and one on the other continent to finish with only four good cities. Four screenshots of the "empire" at mid-late game and final turn:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I've gotta say, I enjoyed playing those Maya. Love the stream of Great People after Theology, and as I got the GL, I got to Theology pretty quick.

The next one was a quick game of Shoshone, where my start was pretty decent (4 Lux by the Cap) and my second/third city was also great. Check out the desert with two rivers, and only two "pure" deserts in all the 37 tiles around Agadika - all else Floodplain or Hills, and Mt. Sinai. The other Civs on my continent were Arabia, Zulu and Venice. I stayed low for a long time, strategically placing cities and building them up until I launched an assault on Shaka, Arabia and Venice, eliminating all in timely fashion. Easy gig. The other continent had Portugal and Carthage, of which the former was somewhat ahead of me Scientifically. However, things went south quite quickly for them as I invaded after finishing off all competition on my initial continent. Also quite the steamrolling of both Portugal and Carthage. Perhaps my easiest game. I had an immense bankroll (Tithe, Trade and some good cities) and got many of my wanted Wonders. Early game and final turn screenshots, and a close-up of Agadika:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I have to recant on the Shoshone - both the UU and the UA make them massive in early parts of the game. Still doesn't feel very Classical or Empire to found cities like Te-Moak and Agadika (compared to Rome or Constantinople), but as a Civ, they're quite good. Now then, got me Attila the Hun, sharing a Gem/Silver/Gold-filled continent with Persia (through a narrow pass to the southeast), Austria and Japan. Interesting, as I've almost never played the Huns. Going for early Domination once more!

No particular mods apart from Enhanced UI, although it is Emperor. Happiness is usually never an issue after Ideologies are available. Also, one gets a lot of free Happiness if certain Wonders are not destroyed when conquering enemy cities. The thing is, I started this project without any particular mods, and have to keep the parameters same for all games (see first post).

Also, one gets a lot of free Happiness if certain Wonders are not destroyed when conquering enemy cities.

IIRC, you won't ever destroy wonders when taking a city. I'm almost certain you can't sell them either. But I'm failling to see a reason of deleting a wonder
Not wanted X GP point? :dunno:

The point is, there is an inherent risk when you conquer a city that some Wonders may be destroyed in the process - not by my active part, but as part of the game mechanism. Same with buildings. E.g. walls are always destroyed, I believe.

My Hunnic game has been the shortest one to date. I was on a continent with a lot of Tundra, although not around my starting loc, and a LOT of potential Pastures - which fit my Civ quite nicely. I had Austria to the south, Japan on a small peninsula to the east only connected by a one-tile isthmus (which I closed promptly) and across a massive mountain chain only passable through a one-tile wide pass, the Persians in near-complete Tundra. Quite the set-up for a Domination game! In addition, I had El Dorado quite near my Cap, so I got 500 Gold in short time, and got myself a Settler. For once, I went for Liberty, stole a lot of Workers and had built up quite the empire before long. In due time, I took Austria and Japan, and spent some more time on the Persians (as they had a medium-sized part of the continent by themselves). However, all were gone by c. 100 AD. Those Horse Archers and particularly the Battering Rams are great for would-be conquerors and city assaults! Evidently, after eliminating the Persians, I had Religion by myself as well, and made the most of it. I did have perpetual issues with Gold (Unit spam) and Unhappiness though. Here are screenshots right after I eliminated the Perisians:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

With Astronomy, I found the Ottomans and Mongols on a smallish continent - where the latter were clear underdogs - as well as later a large island and two small ones with CS. Incidently, I kept many CS as Allies. Shortly after finding those two Civs, Ottomans took Karakorum, and I Liberated Wellington from the Mongols, thus eliminating Ghengis Khan. I probably could have assaulted the Ottomans soon after (perhaps around 13-1400?), but took some extra time building up a massive army unleashed c. 1600 and getting a Domination Vic by 1700. Easy and quick, with the advantage of killing all continent competition before meeting the remaining Civs, thus no Warmongering Penalty. Final turn screenshots:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

So the Huns seem to be good, although perhaps not under certain circumstances. Animal Husbandry and +1 Hammer on Pastures, combined with a lot of Gems and Gold nearby, made this map REALLY good. They do depend on early Warmongering though. But with Japan, Ottomans and Mongols in the game, I thought I should've met more resistance. After I got Ideologies (Autocracy), I had no further issues with Happiness, but there were in fact only three Coal in the whole map - one near Almaty, one outside any cities, and luckily ONE near my borders - so it was quite hairy. Gold issues turned around after I disbanded a whole lot of Workers having done their duty. They actually sap a lot of wealth.

A couple of points to start:
some mod for unlimited happiness maybe :) ? As having +38 after conquering whole continent (wiping out several Civs in the process) seems rather impossible ...

Once you hit Ideologies, it's pretty easy to be positive in happiness, regardless of number of cities. Autocracy has a silly amount of happiness, so conquering isn't a huge deal.

The point is, there is an inherent risk when you conquer a city that some Wonders may be destroyed in the process - not by my active part, but as part of the game mechanism. Same with buildings. E.g. walls are always destroyed, I believe.

Wonders never will get destroyed when taking a city - the only way to get rid of wonders is by raising the city to the ground. Defensive buildings (Walls, Castles, etc), Combat buildings (Barracks, Armories, etc), and I believe Culture buildings (Monuments, Amphitheaters, etc) are destroyed when the city is captured.

I really like the idea of playing through all the Civs, especially now that the game is complete. I've beaten the game with all of the Civs, but haven't touched some of them since Vanilla. Keep it up and good luck!

Cheers! The project trots along, but my updates wane with apparent lack of interest, so I need posts like that of ixias and other further up to keep it up. I think I've found a good format for posting (short summary with screenshots), but my experience with Emperor now (I'd almost never played above King) makes the project parameters somewhat flawed. However, I won't change those until the experiment is finished :)

I've played through with Babylon (update pending), in which I dominated in all aspects. Presently I got Khmer/Siam, which proves a lot harder mid-game, possibly due to the competition (Carthage, Greece, Persia, France and Korea), but also perhaps due to them not being a top-notch Civ?

Siam is one of my favorite Civs - that's actually the first Civ I beat the game with. They definitely benefit from full Patronage; you're going to want to put more effort into City-States than you usually do. Try to do as many quests as possible - the first two points in Patronage will make it much easier. I like to focus on the Cultural CS since they can more than double your culture output in the early to mid game. Maritime are also great - that extra food can go a long way.

You've inspired me to do something very similar - I think I'm going to just go down the list and play every Civ!

I've played through with Babylon (update pending), in which I dominated in all aspects. Presently I got Khmer/Siam, which proves a lot harder mid-game, possibly due to the competition (Carthage, Greece, Persia, France and Korea), but also perhaps due to them not being a top-notch Civ?

There was a great thread about civilisations tier list and IIRC Siam was second tier. Some people actually rate them higher than Greece in terms of CS beneficial CIV.
The problem I see in Siam is that you can really see the flaws of a Vanilla civilisation in a litteraly Brave New World;
- they don't get any bonuses for half the CS, namely Militaristic, Faith & Mercantile.
- Having growth bonuses with allying a maritime CS is not that important since we can now use internal food caravans. On vanilla, CS were the only external source of food.
Elephants are beastly though.
And I don't know if it was changed or not, but you could use to get legalism from Tradition to get 4 free universities :)

Top Bottom