BtS MTDG - Game Settings & Map

I check that map out, actually. Having your own island is something...I like the idea because it makes rushing less likely and makes your land more defensible. The only problem is that you are vulnerable from all sides. Honestly, this sounds the most fun to me. But, if I were to pick a second I would have to say the Highlands map looks way fun too. Call me an extremist, I guess...

I just played a test game with highlands (forgot to write down the exact settings, but I'm pretty sure it was clustered mountains).

My biggest concern was the amount of hills. Cities tended to have about 10 hills in the BFC :eek:

That's fine for later on in the game, but until windmills, I think growth will be excruciatingly slow. There was a serious dearth of health and food.

On the plus side, from a tactical standpoint the terrain was fascinating. Several choke points to defend, here and there a pass through the mountain ranges - it was very interesting. But the world was flat - I hope there would be a way to make the world round so that two teams wouldn't get away with being able to leave their backs undefended.

The donut with standard terrain in the middle would make for an interesting game... :mischief: Pretty rush-prone though...

My experience of highland maps is similar to what peter reports. I love the tactical parts, but I'm also put down by the slow growth possibilities. How about a highland-that-has-been-selectively-flattened-by-map-maker, or equivalently pangea-with-artificially-added-strategic-terrain? :)

Toroidal world wrap. Me want.

And what others have said about resource placement - not everyone should have access to everything, but there has to be some balance to it. But I think this is a non-issue, I definitely trust the map maker here.

The only problem is that you are vulnerable from all sides.

Well if I'm right there are only a few different units that can attack from the ocean (Amphibious). You could just line your borders up with warriors and be set for a while.

@remake20: That would be Civ3. In Civ4, all units can attack from sea, but only those with the Amphibious promotion can do it without penalty. So no coastal blocking like in the Civ3 MTDG.

Okay, like I said in the Sign up I don't have civ 4 just 3. I've played 4 (vanilla) but it has been about a year and I forgot a lot. Plus what is the penalty of attacking from the ocean if you don't have the promotion. And doesn't BTS have a colonizing thing where over seas cities can create their own civ what do you do if that happens in a MTDG (or can you turn it off)?

We had some requests for a look at an Islands map, so here you go:

No Tiny Islands

Various Tiny Islands

If you'd like to see the map for the previous Multi-Team Demogame, the best place to look is the ending video made by Team Epsilon, the winners of the last game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1D60lNiO5M

The previous map was, I believe, a heavily edited Custom Continents script designed by Sirian. By all accounts, it was an excellent map.

Also, there seemed to be some confusion between the Highlands script (which has no world wrap) and the Global Highlands (which does). I was proposing the global version, which definitely allows for around-the-world naval attacks. :)

Attachments

• CDG-10.jpg
    CDG-10.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,322
  • CDG-11.jpg
    CDG-11.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,359
the first global highlands map is nice IMO, or something similar which leaves open a decent option to attack from land to water/water to land pretty evenly.

Have we considered the possibility of using Advanced Start? IMO it shouldn't be much, but having just a little bit of points to spend could make the early (otherwise often rather uninteresting) turns a bit more than they otherwise would be.

Have we considered the possibility of using Advanced Start? IMO it shouldn't be much, but having just a little bit of points to spend could make the early (otherwise often rather uninteresting) turns a bit more than they otherwise would be.

I find it terribly destructive to the pace of the game as the first few turns are some of the most crucial and removing that from the game destroys a lot of the fun for me.

Personaly i like the look of archpilago snaky continents. Otherwise there is always fractal.

What about settings like chose religions? (should be on) barbs? (i like them off, but whatever is fine) tech trading? (i like it off but i can see that with it on there is way more possibilities for diplo which is good) huts? (i like them off, but whatever is fine) vassal states? (really don't belong in a team game imo). Could we poll all these options? it doesn't cost much right?

Hey, I like that idea (Advance start)

Hey, I like that idea (Advance start)

Do you have any idea what it does to the game? It really destroys a lot of stregical and tactical options in the early game...

I know that much about Civ IV. I wouldn't be much, maybe 150-200 gold. And I wanted "No Tiny Islands"

I know that much about Civ IV. I wouldn't be much, maybe 150-200 gold.

That is enough to get a settler... which is exactly what you start with in the first place... The saved turns really isn't worth it compared to the way it destroys gameplay.

Size of map with 5 people should be either standard or small depending on how much land we want and how cramped(i am guessing not very cramped so probably standard).

hmm some heavily modified snaky continents map with loads of land added(to make sure not most/all cities are coastal) and a lot of mountains / desert added as well to create natural barriers / interesting terrain or maybe just a fractal map sounds better to me now that i think of it... With torodial the map could be deigned so everyone have one neighbour roughly in each direction, could be nice, especially if there is mountains / jungle / desert / water making some sort of transformasional barriers between the teams.

I don't like the advanced start option for the same reasons oyzar has already listed. It takes something that is great and messes with it. I think that the first turns are the most crucial turns in the first half of the game -- if not the whole game.

@Grimes - is that sarcasm or do you think hitting your head against the wall makes sense?

Although I have said I like the Global Highlands map, I only support it as a second choice. My first choice would be Islands (with various tiny islands) or a Snaky Continent / Archipeligo hybrid. It seems fitting, to me, that if we're going to spend months on this map then it might deserve a little TLC from a seasoned map maker...

:lol: I was hitting my head against a wall because I missed something that, in hindsight, is patently obvious :blush:

I think I'm trying to stay with a standard map that would require very little tweaking because one of the surest ways to kill interest is to delay the start of the game several weeks while a map-maker tweaks.

The sooner we decide on what map options the teams should vote on, the sooner the game can get going. The choice of each team's civ will be influenced by the type of map we go with.

Right now there are several non-compatible ideas, but with a couple of commonalities:

1. Yes to tactically and strategically challenging terrain, whether that be water barriers or mountain barriers.
2. Yes to roughly equal starts, but not a formally balanced map.
3. The less intervention by a map maker, then better. Ideally just a quick review of a scripted map, with adjustment possible but not mandatory.

Top Bottom