I'm getting real tired of you Civfanatics

CedricTheAwesom

Chieftain
Okay, what is the deal? I saw two Civ3 mods I was interested in but when I go to download them, it doesn't work. One of them says "404 not found" when I click the link, and the other one takes to a Russian-language site and then says the file that I want to download no longer exists. Civfanatics ought to clean up their download pages and remove or fix the ones that link to dead sites.

Okay, what is the deal? I saw two Civ3 mods I was interested in but when I go to download them, it doesn't work. One of them says "404 not found" when I click the link, and the other one takes to a Russian-language site and then says the file that I want to download no longer exists. Civfanatics ought to clean up their download pages and remove or fix the ones that link to dead sites.
Many C3C mods were first posted >10years ago, and many were hosted off-site, so it's hardly surprising that links have since been broken as a result of the mods being taken down, domains falling into disuse, etc. Of those Mods which were actually hosted at CFC, some may have been lost as a result of hacking, or removed by the Mod-maker; some stuff was also lost during the server migration last year (e.g. files which were hosted at atomicgamer, but not actually within the CFC domain, and whose owners did not move it before the migration, most likely because they are no longer active here).

There are so many links within so many threads, that it's simply not possible for anyone to keep track of which ones are still active -- and if the Mod-maker themselves has no interest in keeping the Mod alive and hosted somewhere (or telling people where it's now being hosted), it's hardly fair to blame the CFC management for stuff no longer being conveniently downloadable (which is effectively what you're doing here). So while I understand your frustration, and I agree with you to some extent, rather than simply venting, it would be more helpful to PM a Mod or Admin about the specific links that don't work.

Obviously that doesn't fix the problem of the Mod's lack of availability, but if there's a specific Mod(s) you're interested in, and the designer is still active on CFC (check their profile for last activity), you could also try contacting them directly and asking if they would be willing to re-upload it, or if it's still available anywhere else, or to request that they email you any necessary zipfiles/ installation instructions. Some of the bigger/ more popular C3C-Mods (e.g. Rise and Rule) have been 'inherited' by other Modders here on CFC, and they may also be able to help you out -- check the thread(s) for the specific Mod(s) you're interested in.

Or you could try making your own. It's not nearly as difficult as you might imagine -- hell, even I can do it (not well, but I can) ;)

Also: write a quick comment in the mod's thread. Someone who downloaded it 10 years ago, might still have a local copy and be able to share it again with us.

Cedrik, what are the names of the two mods you were not able to download?

Please don´t forget, these download links are not from CivFanatics, (CFC) but from civers, who are allowed to post at CFC.

There was one called "Earth Globalism Mod" that I was interested in; that's the one that took me to the foreign site (might not have actually been Russian)
There was one called Space Opera that I downloaded but it will not run. I attached a screenshot of the error message that appears when I try to run it.
I was interested in the Playground Mod 2.0 (which is only about 6 years old), but the link to that one is broken. It tries to take me to AtomicGamer but it says its DNS server can't be found :confused:
I tried contacting a mod maker about a problem with a mod once but he never responded.

Attachments

• Civ3 Error.jpg
    Civ3 Error.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 205
It looks like the guy that made Playground Mod 2.0 hasn't posted since 2012
The guy that made Earth Globalism posted a patch to his mod back in February and it looks to me that he doesn't know you can't download the original
aaand the guy that made space opera hasn't posted in eight years

It tries to take me to AtomicGamer but it says its DNS server can't be found :confused:
I tried contacting a mod maker about a problem with a mod once but he never responded.

Yeah AtomicGamer shut down, so all links associated with that are down, and since it was a popular hosting site here, many mods cannot be downloaded. Some people have posted temporary links for some mods on the topics (last page), but for many there is no link.

Yes, these are three interesting mods. :yup:

Earth Globalism is a mod by the Hungarian modder unartis. unartis is still active at CFC (last activity 1st August 2016). The download-link in post 44 of his thread still seems to work. It leads to an Hungarian site, that you can use in English by triggering the button with the English flag. If you trigger here the button for downloads you are lead to another site, that - at least in my try gave informations in German language. This site seems to act aggressively. When I followed the instructions on that site in German language they wanted to have my handy account - this was enough for me to break up the test-download.

unartis makes good modding work, and I think he is happy about interest in his mod. It´s a pity that he has such a cruel download option for his ambitious mod. May be a download-option by dropbox would be much better, but that´s a decision of the modder - not of CFC. I make a post in his thread with a link to this post.

In fact the problem is, that CFC doesn´t host any mods and scenarios, so the modders must find a site for all these mods and scenarios that hosts them. Some of the most prominent sites (Atomic Gamer and SOC) closed in the last years and if the modders didn´t take care in finding new sites, these mods are gone. It´s not so easy to simply re-upload these mods on another site without a permission of the original modder. Per example after the closing of the SOC-Site some of EL Justo´s scenarios like Vietnam, TCW, TCW Fifties were ready for an upload at civForum.de, but El Justo didn´t give a permission for such an upload.

Space Opera: The creator stopped modding Civ 3 since a longer time. It seems, that you don´t have the actual pediaicons text-file for that mod. I will look into my archives if I still have such a file, but this will last some days. May be here some other civer can give you a faster help.

Playground Mod 2.0: This is the Atomic Gamer desaster, you were told by Nathiri.

Space Opera: The creator stopped modding Civ 3 since a longer time. It seems, that you don´t have the actual pediaicons text-file for that mod. I will look into my archives if I still have such a file, but this will last some days. May be here some other civer can give you a faster help.
What files are missing? Only the pediaicons.txt?

I have checked and Space Opera seems to be running perfectly (but I had downloaded it very long ago).

I may be unable to upload huge chunks of data with my slow internet connection, but I should be able to provide the missing text files.

What files are missing?

I have checked and Space Opera seems to be running perfectly (but I had downloaded it very long ago).

I may be unable to upload huge chunks of data with my slow internet connection, but I should be able to provide the missing text files (in the text folders are 10 TXT-files.

Sorry, for the double post. I seem to misclicked somewhere. :blush:

What files are missing? Only the pediaicons.txt?.

Yes, with the screenshot Cedrik posted, a pediaicons file containing the tech Fresh Water is missing. Cedrik will see if more should be missing, when he can continue his start of that mod.

The Freshwater tech is included in my pediaicon.txt.

I have zipped all txt files and (hopefully) attach them to this post.

They needed to be put in the scenario/space opera/text folder.

Attachments

• Space Opera Text.zip
    189.8 KB · Views: 495
Nobody commented on "Cedrictheawesom?"

:(

I thought that was one of the best login names I'd ever seen.

There was one called "Earth Globalism Mod" that I was interested in; that's the one that took me to the foreign site (might not have actually been Russian)
I just downloaded that one without any problems.

1. If you click on the d/l link in the first post for that mod it will take you to Civfanatics d/l database. Then click on "[Download Earth Globalism Mod]", which takes you to unartis's webpage created for this mod.
  2. Click on the "GB" button to the right of the picture for English and then click on the "Open" button below the picture.
  3. On the next page, click on the button "Downloads" on the left side of the screen.
  4. Then on the downloads page click on the "Earth Globalism Mod" link, which takes you to the DepositFiles file sharing site where the actual files are hosted.
  5. Click on the "Regular Download" button and then solve the captcha.
  6. The file will then d/l - whole process took about 5 minutes.
The only thing I didn't like is that the mod uses an .exe to install the files rather than just an archived file like .zip or .rar with the files compressed. Additionally, I don't know if you need the patch or not. It looks like unartis may have updated the mainfile with the it already.

as scenarios disappear regularly ı used this chance to get Earth Globalism thing . Thanks Laurana Kanan for the guidance . Winrar has an option to make it straight to a folder ... Though can't exactly tell which one , with the webcafe using Turkish language versions for all .

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 165
Yes, these are three interesting mods. :yup:

Earth Globalism is a mod by the Hungarian modder unartis. unartis is still active at CFC (last activity 1st August 2016). The download-link in post 44 of his thread still seems to work. It leads to an Hungarian site, that you can use in English by triggering the button with the English flag. If you trigger here the button for downloads you are lead to another site, that - at least in my try gave informations in German language. This site seems to act aggressively. When I followed the instructions on that site in German language they wanted to have my handy account - this was enough for me to break up the test-download.

unartis makes good modding work, and I think he is happy about interest in his mod. It´s a pity that he has such a cruel download option for his ambitious mod. May be a download-option by dropbox would be much better, but that´s a decision of the modder - not of CFC. I make a post in his thread with a link to this post..

Hi Civinator and All players,

My mod (EGM) available from http://c3earthglobalism.uw.hu/
This page leads to a storage site: click here: Earth Globalism Mod(Deposite file) this is the full mod.

This page, select the REGULAR DOWNLOADS, but do not select GOLD Downloads!
I was able to download the file down, recently downloaded

You have to wait 5 seconds

after It asks for a security code, after typing
you can start the download file

I just downloaded that one without any problems.

1. If you click on the d/l link in the first post for that mod it will take you to Civfanatics d/l database. Then click on "[Download Earth Globalism Mod]", which takes you to unartis's webpage created for this mod.
  2. Click on the "GB" button to the right of the picture for English and then click on the "Open" button below the picture.
  3. On the next page, click on the button "Downloads" on the left side of the screen.
  4. Then on the downloads page click on the "Earth Globalism Mod" link, which takes you to the DepositFiles file sharing site where the actual files are hosted.
  5. Click on the "Regular Download" button and then solve the captcha.
  6. The file will then d/l - whole process took about 5 minutes.
The only thing I didn't like is that the mod uses an .exe to install the files rather than just an archived file like .zip or .rar with the files compressed. Additionally, I don't know if you need the patch or not. It looks like unartis may have updated the mainfile with the it already.

Hi "Laurana Kanan,

Yes, complete Earth globalism mod is updated
Earlier download required for the patch;)

Top Bottom