The City States of Greece

ooc:
I voted because i wanted to create a city. Anyway Jehoshua, once i create the city, if you come, you will take the position of prime minister.
:lmao: Man, Jehoshua will decide who he wants to found the city and, most important, will become Prime Minister if he decides so, not that you will be much of a trouble for the second oldest family and ruler of Athens...

ooc:

Well then, now that we have conceded even more power to the first players in the game... this should go well. :banana: :banana: :banana: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :cry: :cry: :suicide:

:lmao: Man, Jehoshua will decide who he wants to found the city and, most important, will become Prime Minister if he decides so, not that you will be much of a trouble for the second oldest family and ruler of Athens...

Im not ruler of Athens quite yet.

ooc:

I voted because i wanted to create a city. Anyway Jehoshua, once i create the city, if you come, you will take the position of prime minister.

I have two problems with this.

1: You want a democracy, yet you're going to appoint the leader yourself?

2: When are you people going to realize. This is a GAME. If you give Jehoshua too much power, why even ****ing play? You're just ruining the game by giving one person all the power. It's ridiculous lol.

• Settlers built in a city are now controlled by someone appointed by the city government. The appointee must be alive and active in the game to be appointed. Upon completion of the settler unit a new player is born from the waiting list, and can be appointed. Settlers gained from a social policy or elsewhere are given to the next player on the waiting list.

All changes can be seen in the first post.

I have two problems with this.

1: You want a democracy, yet you're going to appoint the leader yourself?

2: When are you people going to realize. This is a GAME. If you give Jehoshua too much power, why even ****ing play? You're just ruining the game by giving one person all the power. It's ridiculous lol.

1. Dirk, meet christos. He does this. A lot.

2a. Why do people assume this is going to give Jehoshua more power? He doesn't even rule a city yet.

2b. Why play a competitive political game if you don't want a challenge?

2c: And besides, no one in their right mind would make a political deal with Christos, so the entire issue of Christos kowtowing to Jehoshua is null and void.

ooc: Democracy is for the opposition. Monarchy is for the government.

Wait wha... No, nevermind, I give up trying to understand you Christos

ooc:

1) This is ooc so it has nothing to do with ic.

2) What i said means << If you are the opposition then blame the government that it isnt a real democracy and that it doesnt express the people. If you are the government then create a monarchy, if you can, and have absolute power>>. Who cares about democracy when you can have absolute power.

OOC:
A monarchy isn't nessecarily absolute power, far from it

OOC: He is Christos, the mad Greek nationalist. You cannot argue with him, you cannot try to find a sense to his words, actions or decisions.

OOC: Story first, then I will talk to Agamemnon.

~~~~~

The Palla King

The legend of the Palla King contains the adventures, and misadventures, of more than one Athenian Prinkipas. The following story is thought to be about Ainos Tambien Fotismenos.

To help you understand the story, some facts about ancient Athenian marital traditions must be understood. Below is a summary of said traditions.

Progamos- Pre-wedding ceremony (pl. progamoi)

The Progamos usually included a feast where the bride and groom would sit at opposite ends of the table to symbolize their separation. At the conclusion of the feast, usually held at the father of the bride's home, the bride would take her childhood items, such as dolls and toys, out onto the street where she would give them away. This symbolized her new status as a woman. After giving away her things, the bride would go to the ocean and bathe in the waves to wash away the last of her childhood. She would then go home and spend the night preparing herself for the wedding.

Gamos- Marriage ceremony (pl. gamoi)

The Gamos was the actual ceremony where the bride and groom were married. It usually took place in the square next to Athena's Monument or on the beach.

Metagamilos- Post-wedding ceremony (pl. metagamiloi)

The Metagamilos was the time when the now married couple left and went to their new home, bought beforehand. The bride and groom would seal their marriage that night, and in the morning the new family would throw a party that typically included food, drink, music, and dancing.

The legend is directly below.

~~~~~

Ainos slowly entered the home through its modest doorway, feeling conspicious in his feasting clothes. His body felt numb, a sensation that contrasted completely with the elation he felt at finally wedding Calpetha. He was 21, and she was 20. He thought of her, and his knees weakened as he remembered her sweet laugh and her beautiful face.

Then he saw her. She looked beautiful in her feasting gown, and he stopped. He zoomed in on her face, saw her numbness and pensive expression. Suddenly, his numbness evaporated just as hers did. They walked towards each other and embraced. For a moment they lived in their own world, but that didn't last. Other guests that were here for the feast of the Progamos began coming up to them and congratulating them.

The evening was a memorable one, and Ainos was glad he could forget about the concerns raised by Agamemnon even for a little while. When the feast was over, he followed her to the ocean with the rest of the feast guests and watched as she walked out into the waves. The spray moved her hair about like it was alive, and the waves broke against her. She had never been more beautiful.

-----

Ainos started at his surroundings as he waited for his bride to appear. He was right next to the great monument to Athena, the one his father had comssioned so many years ago. The square was crowded, but most people did not know that this was the wedding of one of the Fotismenos brood. Indeed, many must have assumed it was the wedding of a rich merchant.

Ainos's thoughts were interrupted when Calpetha appeared next to him. She was dressed in a beautiful golden dress, with a bride's of pearls and desert gems on her head. This drew the notice of more of the crowd. After all, the pearls were limited and were only gotten through trade with faraway tribes. A very rich merchant then.

Then, the mystic of Athena, in a booming baritone, began the vows.

"Does the bride, Calpetha, agree to love, respect, treat equally, and sacrifice for her groom? Does the bride agree to stay by his side, never be unfaithful, and support him in all endeavors? Answer under the watchful eyes of the mother of the Greeks, Athena."

Calpetha was caught by a momentary fit of nervousness, but a squeeze of Ainos's hand ended that. She firmly stated, "Yes. I, Calpetha, agree to all of those things."

The mystic then turned to Ainos.

"Does the groom, Ainos, agree to love, respect, treat equally, and sacrifice for his bride? Does the groom agree to stay by her side, never be unfaithful, and support her and any family she will produce? Answer under the watchful eyes of the mother of the Greeks, Athena."

Ainos looked at Calpetha one last time before saying anything, and stated, more firmly than Calpetha had before him, "I agree."

The priest looked up at the sky, and said the final blessing. "You are wed under Athena and the pantheon of all other gods."

Ainos kissed his wife, and joyfully repeated the last words of the blessing. You are wed.

As he led her to their new home, he could only hope that this 2 days happiness would not be doused by the stifling waters of politics.

Public Speech
(Ainos Tambien Fotismenos)

People of Athens, it has recently become a point of contention between the Megakyrioi and the Fotismenoi as to who should succed to the throne of Prinkipas of Athens.

Agamemnon has brought up one good point, for which I thank him. This is not covered in the Syntagma. While I believe that my father, Prota, was a brilliant and forward thinking man, he was just a mortal.

I believe that in the spirit in which the city was founded, cooperation, the Athenian people should draft a resolution adding to the Syntagma a method for selection of the Prinkipas.

What I mean to say is that I propose that any Athenian that has an idea should make it known (post it here), and that then both Megalis delegates should then select the one they support the most. Then, the Athenian people would vote on which version of the ammendment to adopt. (ie- all players get a vote on what version we accept, and if dot feels necessary so do the NPCs)

I do this to promote the future stability of this glorious city, because Athens cannot have a succesion crisis every time a Prinkipas dies.

I propose this before Athena and the rest of the pantheon, and call for the Greek people to signal their support or dissaproval.

May the glory of Athens last forevermore!

Public Speech

People of Athens, Ainos is a coward and lacks even the honour to meet me in a duel so that the gods can decide this issue on our own merits

Is it not clear now for you? Ainos is a man who lacks the dignity of his father and is at his core an empty and hollow being vainly attempting to grasp onto a power he neither deserves nor merits. His fundamental lack of dignity is made known by his insulting conduct in regards to claiming regency while his father was in Japan and it is shown in its full despicableness accompanied with hollow vanity by this absurd and frantic appeal to the common people, which is in reality an attempt to salvage a facade of authority, something which he lacks, all the while avoiding meeting my challenge face to face. He is appealing to you, the honourable people of Athens like a beggar in the street for a way out of a pitiful condition that is of his own making.

Thus before men and gods I proclaim that Ainos is a craven and pitiful coward, and that this is a self evident truth, obvious for all to see. He is thus unworthy of ruling the city dedicated to and named after Athena, goddess of wisdom and war, a fair goddess who demands honour and courage from her devotees and wisdom, all attributes which Ainos lacks, as shown throughout the entire litany of errors that together composes his political record. Furthermore he has by his craven attempt to avoid my offer to meet on the field of combat, attempted to avoid out of a truly disgusting cowardice the finding of a honourable conclusion to this dispute based on our relative merits before the gods. Instead, and this is where his absurdity and lack of merit truly comes to the fore, he has gone to you, the people, to find a manner, any manner at all, to get out of this predicament, which is of his own making. Then, in his cowardice, he asks for a vote so that through deception and under the vapourous mist of false authority he can weedle his way out of meeting me before the gods in trial by combat, and into a seat of power he neither merits or deserves!

Thus people of Athens I call on you to look upon this coward, who cannot even meet an older man who is past his prime in a duel out of cowardice, and who as we speak attempts out of fear to flee from an honest trial and see the reality beneath the illusory mask he wears in his speeches and when he stands before you. See that he is a beggar! a beggar prince pitifully grovelling before you, a people of honour, and asking you to lift him out of a position of his own making, knowing that he merits his pitiful existence and being fearful of honest labour that makes use of his own meritous ability. But you all know the truth, the beggar must work of his own merits to ascend beyond his abominable state, Ainos Fotismenos must meet my challenge and stand before the gods in trial by combat against me, to the death. Should he fail to do so then I pray that the gods send unto him the due punishment for his lack of honour, which tinges all Athens with its sickly stain and which lowers us before the sight of men and gods.

Yes. It is only on the field of battle that honour can be satisfied so that the Glory of Athens may shine in the dark of an uncivilised world and resound with a chorus of victory everlasting! Thus I implore you people of Athens, you must oppose this coward until such time as he earns authority through victory against me in honest combat in the manner of our heroic ancestors.

---

ooc: meet me in trial by combat Tambien instead of trying to wheedle your way out of your little predigament by appeal to the commons :p Its very dishonourable of you not to even reply to my direct challenge, makes you appear craven and fearful and most unworthy of holding the position of Prinkipas (not that you lawfully hold it atm anyway) ;)

And so it begins... :p

ooc: Indeed it does.

Top Bottom