Advice for a diplomatic victory

NSM

Chieftain
I swear every time I play I end up getting a different victory (often science, it seams, but I've done domination and cultural as well).

So what would be your advice for going about a diplomatic victory? Is there any particular civ that's good to use, and just what's the general strategy?

Well since i got my first deity win recently (yay!!) by diplomacy I figured I'd chime in. So the main thing with diplomacy is gold. You need lots of gold so work on those trade routes and make sure your keeping friendly with other civs so you can make the most out of selling your resources. Now the reason you need lots of gold is because it will help you befriend and stay friends with the city states which is key in winning a diplo victory. Towards the end if gobbling almost every city state isn't enough then you do need to tech to globalization which allows you to gain a delegate for every diplomat you have in another civs capital. In fact it will be pretty difficult winning without this tech. Also the more city states alive the better for you since they're worth two delegates but when they're taken out of the game only one delegate needed for victory is subtracted. So more city states means easier victory. And definitely watch out if Austria or venice are playing and to a lesser extent greece and siam because they'll most likely be your competition. Social policy wise all I'll say is I recommend putting some into patronage at some point during the game otherwise it's really up to you. Now as far as best civs for diplo I'd say any civ with economic flavors like portugal or morocco, or a city state civ like siam or greece. The civ I won my deity victory was the Netherlands and besides the extra money i was getting from selling all my luxes thanks to UA I also realized that since my luxes were all sold city states asked me for luxes that I already owned so I got free city state influence eventually and that helped a lot.

Edit: woops missed the vanilla tag

As the thread is tagged Vanilla I thought I would chip in (some of the previous reply does not apply to vanilla)...

I presume you know you need to ally several city states and build (or have someone else build) the united nations. Check the victory progress screen from time to time to see the current situation.

If you play as Alex (or maybe Mr Siam) it's a lot easier. If you are someone else and they are in the game it makes it considerably harder to win diplo; Consider moving up or down a level as appropriate.

The Patronage tree is vital, as is gold. But you also need pretty good science to get to build the UN. Fulfilling CS quests is also good, but avoid the requests to eliminate another CS.

Top Bottom