binkw32.dll Error

LangeGeschichte

Chieftain
Whenever I try to launch the game, I get past the multilingual loading screen, the screen goes black, then crashes, displaying an error. Here is the information from the error message:

AppName: civ4beyondsword.exe
AppVer: 3.0.2.94
ModName: binkw32.dll
ModVer: 1.8.6.0
Offset: 0002235e

I've already tried uninstalling everything and then reinstalling, but it didn't work. I downloaded the new patch, but still, no luck. Google searches revealed that there were a few other people with this error, but there wasn't a solution in any of those posts. I really can't think of what else to try. Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to fix it?

I have a similar problem, although my screen doesn't go black and I wouldn't say I make it "past" the loading screen. My game gets stuck at the loading screen, and never brings up the init screen until Vista tells me (maybe you are on XP?) that the program has stopped funtioning and needs to close. I didnt pay attention to the specific error message, but it sounds like the same thing. I have a second machine or I'd be pissed, 2K games tech support is broke.

I got a new version of binkw32.dll, but now the game shuts down, without an error message, after the multilingual loading screen. According to the task manager, it starts up, but then just disappears off of the tasks list. I'm reinstalling, again, to see if it will work. After that, I think I am out of ideas.

Update: Reinstall didn't work. I'm officially out of ideas on how to fix this.

What resolution are you running? I have the same problem when trying to start the game in anything higher than 1024x768. I got it to work once in my monitors native resolution of 1680x1050 but the next time I try to load at this resolution the screen is black where the 2kgames bink video should play (I hear the sounds) then the game CTDs. Application log reads:

Faulting application civ4beyondsword.exe, version 3.0.2.94, faulting module binkw32.dll, version 1.8.6.0, fault address 0x0002235e.

If I change resolution to 1024x768, it works fine... but I don't want to play at that resolution.... :mad:

I think I figured out what was going on. I'm using a widescreen laptop, which Vanilla and Warlords supported, but not BTS. I had to turn off antialiasing and then reinstall, and it started working.

Top Bottom