Puppet City or Annex?

Razing is a weird thing in Civ5 anyway. Going down 1 population point a turn - what's that about? Not even a vague simulation of reality. I guess it's not only the other civs that hate you for razing cities but the Firaxis development team as well!:lol:

Razing is a weird thing in Civ5 anyway. Going down 1 population point a turn - what's that about? Not even a vague simulation of reality. I guess it's not only the other civs that hate you for razing cities but the Firaxis development team as well!:lol:

It takes time to kill civilians. Is that what we are discussing? :)

As for razing resettling.
I think that if you're not going to expand more either by settlers or new conquers when you conquer low population small borders it's good to resettle, otherwise it's better to keep puppet even with pop 1 simply because it doesn't increase policies costs and if you caver everything around with posts it should be able to pay for its self and gives +science and +culture. Now I play on huge earth map marathon and I'm even thinking about settling new cities then selling them to AI just to conquer them and make them puppets so I can still get new policy form time to time :)

Don't beat yourself over it. If you read old historians stuff like "demolished city walls, killed all men and sold women and children to slavery settling someone else and more loyal in the place" occurs every 2nd page... It's 20th century atrocities that made such wussies out of people, a few more decades and we'll be back to what we were best at throughout our history. :)

I raze cities in the following circumstances:

1) The AI placed the city there to dick around with me. (It's happened. Hiawatha placed a coastal city by DESERT on my doorstep. Tool.)

2) The city is poorly placed/poorly developed. Usually not worth keeping.

3) My allied city states razed it :p Not a whole lot I can do about that, but it seems a small price to pay for essentially a free win if I'm not going for a domination victory.

Do all empirical bonuses affect puppet cities? All of the policies seem to apply, I know Augustus Caesar's "Glory of Rome" does, but what about wonders? Maritime city-state bonuses?

I founded I think 3 cities (built 3 settlers)

In that case you founded four cities, unless you lost a settler.

There is no reason to immediately annex, ever, AFAIK. I generally raze every city unless I have a good reason not to. A good reason may be
  • It cannot be razed
  • Contains a wonder
  • Tactical necessity (healing, aircraft basing, airlift etc)
  • Access to vital resources
  • Gives control of strategically important territory

The last two are candidates for raze and resettle, though.

If the city is trash, I prefer selling it for a song to another civ. I don't raze often. Usually if I raze, it's because it's in a rich general area, but the exact tile is a poor choice. Or if I'm toying with the AI early game and am expecting a re-settlement.

I win domination games with as few as two non-puppet cities very regularly. The reason I need lots of cities is to keep up in science; and puppets do that fine. If I annex, usually it's to build non-land units, to faith purchase something, or to buy a tile. Very rarely I might annex a large city to help with world's fair.

Right. Did anyone notice that AI's don't like when you raze cities, and really don't like when you eradicate a whole civ? Maybe it's just my paranoia, but so far it seems that the less razing I do, the more friendly AI's are...

Think about it, it's a competition and it means that you're a threat to them. But fortunately, the object of the game isn't to make them happy, it's to beat them. But anyway, keeping them happy when possible is always something to strive for. That's why I suggest to take over other cities strategically and slowly. When the rest of the world starts to hate you, slow down and maybe use that time to regroup, defend, and build up your city. Things will smooth over eventually.

Top Bottom