Do you build a wonder just to get some gold?

AJL.

Chieftain
I'm playing Immortal and the advice from the forum has been not to worry about wonders. Wow! New stuff for me! Anyway, my next question is: is there any sense in building a wonder that you you know you probably won't get (G.Wall, for example) just so you can get a gold boost and upgrade your units? Does anyone do that? Or am I just wasting hammers?

Not really in Civ V; in Civ IV there was if you had one of the double resource ones and didn't yet have the tech for wealth, but fail gold was greatly reduced between Civ IV and Civ V.
As an example, if you are one hammer short of the Great Library when beaten out by the AI, you won't even get enough gold to even cash rush a regular library.
Wealth is still what to "build" in Civ V if you want a cites production turned into gold.

OK, thanks joncnunn.
So, I just need to keep building units and forget about the rest in order to win a dom vic on this level. Now I just need to do it...!

I'm playing Immortal and the advice from the forum has been not to worry about wonders. Wow! New stuff for me! Anyway, my next question is: is there any sense in building a wonder that you you know you probably won't get (G.Wall, for example) just so you can get a gold boost and upgrade your units? Does anyone do that? Or am I just wasting hammers?

No don't do that. The ratio of hammer to gold is awful.

Sometimes I do that, but if only if I try a wonder I know I have just a little chance to catch. Otherwise, wealth is more advantageous.

The point of gold is to get hammers. If you're investing hammers to get gold and then investing gold to buy hammers, that's like trading 8 dollar bills to get 8 quarters, then trading the 8 quarters to get one dollar bill.

Top Bottom