War Hate Advice?

rkade8583

Realism Invictus Player
So pretty simple question: how can I minimize the diplomatic damage of reclaiming land that, rightfully, belonged to me? I mean sure this other civ planted a city RIGHT THERE but I had a scout there so it's MINE!

Seriously, how do I best deal with encroaching civs and how can I keep the other civs from seeing me as a warmonger? I'm not, I swear.

You could use more units to protect your future city site. Either block or capture the approaching settler (a free worker). Conquering a city brings much more hate than declaring war and only killing units. Though it's a bad idea to DoW someone you have a declaration of friendship with.

If we're talking early game, then I would say don't worry about it. Take them ASAP. Civs you have not discovered will not hate you for anything you did pre-discovery.

I would also take it a step further and say I WANT the encroachment. Rushing AI capitals is hard. But if he plants a brand new city right next to you, that's easy picking. If it's the resources you were after, you're better off with a puppet city there than a settled one. You can always wait till it can build a courthouse later in a reasonable time and annex it then. You control your warmonger hate by just not exploring--bring back your scouts and war with them instead.

Top Bottom