[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

I generally see revolutions occur around the middle ages. But it really depends, they only really strike sprawling empires, or those that get into economic trouble, or loose a couple cities in war. I've also given a couple traits increased resistance to revolutions, which is another reason that revolutions occur less in this mod then in default RevDCM. It sounds to me like you just want to increase the likely hood of revolutions across the board. If this is the case, here is how you do that:

-Open up the Revolution.ini file using notepad
-Go to the edit header in notepad, and select the find option, the search box window will pop up
-Type: IndexModifier in the field, notepad will take you to this block of code:
Code:
; Adjust rate of rev index accumulation, additional options for human (offset adds that value to each city per turn, keep it small)
IndexModifier = 1.0
IndexOffset = 0
HumanIndexModifier = 1.0
HumanIndexOffset = 0

; Adjust chance of revolution, strength of violent rev, strength of rebel reinforcements
ChanceModifier = 1.0
StrengthModifier = 1.0
ReinforcementModifier = 1.0

; Adjust influence of various factors in inciting a revolution
HappinessModifier = 1.0
ColonyModifier = 1.0
DistanceToCaptialModifier = 1.0
CultureRateModifier = 1.0
NationalityModifier = 1.0
GarrisonModifier = 3.0
ReligionModifier = 1.0
CivSizeModifier = 1.0
CityLostModifier = 1.0
CityAcquiredModifier = 1.0

This all should be pretty intuitive. Basically tweak the numbers to what you think they should be. As an example if you wanted to double the rate of RevIdx accumulation across the board change this
Code:
IndexModifier = 1.0
to this
Code:
IndexModifier = 2.0

And if you wanted to increase the penalty from unhapiness (and the bonus from excess happiness) by 50%, you would change this:
Code:
HappinessModifier = 1.0
to this
Code:
HappinessModifier = 1.5

I suspect this is caused by the fact SF is stealth, or rather, covert. I wager if you WB in an enemy SF, UCAV or spy that can see the city, the SF wol't enter it. Anyway I certainly haven't changed the SDK in that regard to cause this behavior. Likewise I'm not going to bother going in and programming a new function in CvUnit just so invisible units can't enter cities when they can't capture... I really don't see the point.

Um no, if you wb in a spy then SF can capture the city. Seriously you might think about giving more careful consideration before you make dogmatic decrees like "I'm not going to bother..."

In this case you have inconsistent behavior because SF can capture a city if it has a spy and can't capture the city if it doesn't have a spy in it; however, SF also can't see enemy spies. As a general programming rule, undefined behavior is bad... explicitly defined behavior solves a lot of problems.

I failed to add in the no capture atribute.... My bad, will be fixed in 0.9.x whenever that comes out.

This will definatly be fixed in the next test build release though.

Really? I've never had a crash.... I mean ever on a standard map since I dropped the extremely high poly models from the Wolfshanze mod, and my system is like a little girl compared to yours.

Vista around wonder movies, that's good to know. I've just compiled a debug dll and I'll see if it throws any exceptions around there. I just found a call left over from the Wolfshanze mod that called a non existant string for some city art. While not a problem for XP users, this could have been a problem for Vista. I'll see if there is anything like this with wonder movies.

It's just really weird though, what you describe:

See this says your video card is getting overloaded (Which I can't do anything about).... But I don't see how that is possible with these specs:
4gig of ram and a 512mb 8800gt

There is no way I should be able to run a game with the same setting fine on my 2.8GHz, 2GB computer from 2003, and yet your system that is about 4 times as powerfull (if not more) gets overloaded :dunno:

All I can say is Definatly try updating your video card drivers, that may be the problem. I just dont' understand how an 8800gt is getting overloaded on a standard sized map.

Have updated my gfx drivers and also disabled wonder movies. It no longer seems to crash :) So probably drivers as i'd not updated them since last year :blush:

I really like the extra sea units and all the legendary units in this mod. If you add more legendary units in future version you should consider adding the HMS Victory as i think that qualifies as Legendary :) Thanks again

Well agreed about Dual Boot. I don't use Linux myself, but I think I said as much in my last post that it shouldn't make any difference and shouldn't matter one way or another.

I've seen plenty of guys here who've historically had problems with Civ4 and Vista 64, regardless of mod used (if any). I'm talking less about it having to do with a particular mod (or component) be it BUG or anything else, and having to do with the actual core game.

On the other hand, Civ will never use more than a certain amount of memory as it's a 32-bit app anyway. *Shrug*

I haven't played a BTS game without a mod. I used to played Merged Mod but had to stop using it. I don't know what happened, but it simply began to CTD, even when I started a new game. For several reasons I reinstalled everything on my computer. I reinstalled Civ and retried Merged Mod and still it wouldn't work! The strange thing is that I didn't change anything on the code, it simply stopped working properly.

But I suspect Windows. I'm a programmer and I work on Kubuntu, and Vista itself simply sucks. It's pretty and has a couple of cool things, but it's highly unreliable. For some time I even worked with Vista because I had to use a BEA Java framework that only worked on Windows (and BEA recommended using XP). And I think that 64bt Vista has even more issues that 32bit.

So I tried Varietas Delectat, and had no problems whatsoever with that mod. Unfortunately it doesn't include BUG mod, which I consider essential. I played a couple of very long games and found no problems.

However, I was unhappy because I really missed naming my units, which is what I use BUG mod for, mostly. So I looked around and found this great mod.

Phungus, I regret to inform that the map is huge. I can't but play on huge maps. You still want it?

Phungus, I regret to inform that the map is huge. I can't but play on huge maps. You still want it?
Actually, no. It'll just crash on my computer no matter what if it's a huge map :crazyeye: So doesn't really help me isolate anything.

I may make a note of this though, because yours and another user's report are the only claims of a CTD (well there was the one above, but updating his drivers for his video card seems to have solved it), and they both involve Huge maps. I suppose I should just state up front in the OP that huge maps are probably unstable just because there is so much going on. I think though that Huge maps are just unstable in Civ4 in general; I don't think you can play default civ on a huge map for a few hours without getting a CTD, so I don't really consider this an issue with the mod itself.

I think though that Huge maps are just unstable in Civ4 in general; I don't think you can play default civ on a huge map for a few hours without getting a CTD, so I don't really consider this an issue with the mod itself.

I also believe it's a Civ IV issue. Huge maps are surely more prone to bugs, but I remember that some time ago I tried smaller maps at some point, and still found this issue, and using other mods. I'll try updating my video drivers.

About the legends, you said that you wanted non-european suggestions. However, as a stundent of WWII, I think there are a many legendary units available from this period, and I bet a lot of guys would like to see them.

I know that III./StG 2 doesn't ring a bell, but it was Hans Ulrich Rudel's unit. Check it out on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Ulrich_Rudel). It was perhaps more a personal achievement than that of his unit but just consider this:
Rudel flew some 2,530 combat missions (a world record), during which he destroyed almost 2,000 ground targets (among them 519 tanks, 70 assault craft/landing boats, 150 self-propelled guns, 4 armored trains, and 800 other vehicles; as well as 9 planes (2 Il-2's and 7 fighters). He also sank a battleship, two cruisers and a destroyer.​
I really don't know much about the subject, but I'm confident that there are also some great American submarine units. Those guys accounted for a good percentage of the total Japanese tonnage that was sunk.

How about Tchuikov's 62nd army? Those were the guys that held the German 6th army at Stalingrad.

There is also the British 7th Armoured Division, the famed "Desert Rats".

Also of legendary fame is the SS Totenkopf Division.

Well, all of those are great suggestions. And I may very well replace something, for instance I may just move the SAS to a UU, and replace it's legendary spot with the Desert Rats. But overall there are currently 10 legends, and 8 of them are American or European. Of the two that aren't, 1 is mediterranian, and the other Middle Eastern.... Which is still pretty close to Europe. Because of this if I add another Legend it must be African or Asian in origin. Keep in mind I will only be adding 2, 3 tops, I don't want more then a baker's dozen of legends in the mod.

Well I've played another few games and have been observing the texture problems @ low texture res. I was planning on having a specific list of units that seem to be affected, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I can tell you that about half of all types of units were either:
a)Swapping from the correct skin to an incorrect one every few seconds
or
b)the wrong skin completely

The funny thing is, it wasn't like the skins were way off. All of the skins were relatively close to what they were supposed to be. (I.E. a ronin appearing as a samurai)
The only strange abborations I've noticed are Mayan dreadnaught ships appearing to be the futuristic dreadnaughts from nextwar, and UCavs that are boarded on carriers have a mech standing on them.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Oh, and kudos for taking whatever fluff outta wolfschanze you did, because it has resulted in much, much smoother gameplay. Standard sized maps would start crashing late game for me, and now I am playing large maps into the future /w no problem. Of course it takes like two minutes between turns but that is beside the point.

Thanks. Don't bother on the unit list. I'm planning on going through and redifining alot of the the Unit Art files in the ArtDefines file. The thing is Wolfshanze set it up so that his mod was only supported for high end computers, and thus alot of the units don't have unique unit art unless the shaderart is turned on. I'm planning on changing this, and making it so that all units have decent ethnic art displayed for nearly all levels.

All except one, the fronzen setting. Sorry, I want to set this up, but it's a serious PITA, that's jut too much for me to do. Basically I would need to copy out all the freeze animations and various kfs and the main kfm and drop them in the folder with the main nif, then I'd need to edit the kfm and get it to call the main nif file I wanted. That's just too much work for me, sorry. But after I make the changes to the basic artdefines files, things should look alot better. But It's still not going to be perfect for those that play with the no animations or frozen settings.

Edit:

If you or anyone else is interested in actually setting things up to work for the frozen settings see this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=319369
If the work that it says needs to be done in that thread is done, I'd definatly incorporate it into the mod. I'm just not willing to go through and do all the modeling stuff myself. To be honest, I don't even know how to just get a poly count on unit models, and instead rely on other peoples numbers. I'm more into the code side of things.

For legendary units, how about the Iga or Koga ninja clans? Obviously ninjas were not used for battlefield fighting, so you'd have to give them some... interesting abilities. For example, you could make it so that they always target the weakest unit in the stack, or make it so that they have an ability where they can return to the capital at any time (smoke bomb). I know returning to the capital whenever sounds absurd, but that's what the spies already do in the game. The ninja would probably have average combat statistics, and no big bonuses against any particular unit type; however, they'd be fast-moving (maybe allow them to use enemy roads), good scouts (sight bonus), and good at escaping from battles (high evasion rate). Rather than be built for pure muscle, like the other legendary units, they'd be built for harassment. Another great thing about these clans is that they were more around the late medieval period, so you could fit them in with around when people would have Macemen (an area not occupied by other Legendary units).

For another Asian unit, you could use "The Three Brothers", commonly seen in Dynasty Warriors and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series. This would be around the Iron Age period... so the only problem is that there is already a decent number of legendary units around that time frame. I'm not sure exactly what you could do to make them unique. Maybe make it so they can split up into three separate units?

As for African... I don't know much about African culture, unfortunately.

...so you'd have to give them some... interesting abilities. For example, you could make it so that they always target the weakest unit in the stack, or make it so that they have an ability where they can return to the capital at any time (smoke bomb). I know returning to the capital whenever sounds absurd, but that's what the spies already do in the game.

I really can't do anything like this. Anything I do would have to be understood and utilized by the AI. Either passively (like the Enlightened trait), or be built into something the AI can already use. A suggestion like the above would be super complex to teach the AI to use, and is far above my ability levels. It's just not tennable. This applies really to any suggestion, please keep in mind I'm only a self taught modder, the C++/Python I've written for the mod is all stuff I've learned from asking questions here, or using google. I can't just go whip up new AI routines...

I'll have a look at the Three Brothers unit on wikipedia and see how it looks.

and replace it's legendary spot with the Desert Rats..

Its funny you mention that. For the smaller Heroes mod that I have out. I was working on a unit called "Desert Phantoms", which are the Special Forces of Oman.

I am reading a book, called Sandstorm, that has them in it and thought it might work, also giving some Middle Eastern flavor.

I was thinking an Infantry type unit, with attack/defense/movement bonuses on Desert tiles (for obvious reasons).

The Iga and Koga ninjas I was also playing with, as sort of a "trainable great spy" or something to that effect.

I really can't do anything like this. Anything I do would have to be understood and utilized by the AI. Either passively (like the Enlightened trait), or be built into something the AI can already use. A suggestion like the above would be super complex to teach the AI to use, and is far above my ability levels. It's just not tennable. This applies really to any suggestion, please keep in mind I'm only a self taught modder, the C++/Python I've written for the mod is all stuff I've learned from asking questions here, or using google. I can't just go whip up new AI routines...

I'll have a look at the Three Brothers unit on wikipedia and see how it looks.

Yeah, that's definitely understandable. I can see how programming something like that would be difficult. If I knew any kind of coding I'd try to help you out, but alas, I do not.

I couldn't find a specific entry dedicated to the Three Brothers, but I could find them individually:

Liu Bei - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Bei
Guan Yu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guan_Yu
Zhang Fei - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_Fei

I mean, they're all worshipped as deities (not Zhang Fei as much but you can find a brief mention of that here) in various religions (but yes, they were real people)... so they have to be pretty legendary, eh?

Again, though, as for actual abilities... I'm not sure.

I haven't played a BTS game without a mod. I used to played Merged Mod but had to stop using it. I don't know what happened, but it simply began to CTD, even when I started a new game. For several reasons I reinstalled everything on my computer. I reinstalled Civ and retried Merged Mod and still it wouldn't work! The strange thing is that I didn't change anything on the code, it simply stopped working properly.

It's funny, because this is my experience too. I've found that playing smaller maps helps somewhat, but that is not a satisfactory solution. I have now managed to get debugging working, so I'll see how that can help me figure out what is wrong. Otherwise, maybe upgrading to Windows 7 will help? :scan:

I've seen plenty of guys here who've historically had problems with Civ4 and Vista 64, regardless of mod used (if any). I'm talking less about it having to do with a particular mod (or component) be it BUG or anything else, and having to do with the actual core game.

I looked into the issue quite a bit when I was having it, and the problem is actually that Vista64 puts civ in "Program Files (x86)" and the BUG mod didn't support it being in anywhere but the "Program Files" directory. The steam issues were caused by the same thing. It all seems to work fine now, though.

I looked into the issue quite a bit when I was having it, and the problem is actually that Vista64 puts civ in "Program Files (x86)" and the BUG mod didn't support it being in anywhere but the "Program Files" directory. The steam issues were caused by the same thing. It all seems to work fine now, though.
Back when I was playing warlords, I began adding units to Snafusmith's great Modern Warfare Mod. Being a programmer, I decided to have version control with Subversion. Vista began to give me a very hard time with permissions, so I reinstalled everything in C:\Firaxis\Civilization IV, and that solved the problem. I recommend installing Civ IV in similar fashion.

@phungus420:

Well, I started to play tonight. Very nice. But I remembered why I don't play with the Revolution mod. I don't like fiddling with cities that constantly revolt. Is there a way to turn off the Rev component, but keep everything else? I couldn't find a way.

Maybe I'm just dense...

@phungus420:

Well, I started to play tonight. Very nice. But I remembered why I don't play with the Revolution mod. I don't like fiddling with cities that constantly revolt. Is there a way to turn off the Rev component, but keep everything else? I couldn't find a way.

Maybe I'm just dense...

Uncheck "Revolutions" in the custom game setup screen. If you've already started the game, hit Ctrl+Alt+O, click on the RevDCM tab, uncheck "revolutions," exit the screen, save the game and reload.

Top Bottom