some details written on 24th of Ferbr.

I am eagerly awaiting either one of them magazine-infos...

here is 3rd of March CET time zone, AM 8:20... :)

Tomorrow the march issue of the german "Computer Bild Spiele" will be released, which said in the news about the anouncement of Civ5, that they'll have an report with european wide exlusive details...:).

sooo, may we count on you, then? :)

I'm not sure what they mean by "Art Deco Line". Can anyone enlighten me?

It was a design movement popular from the 1930s to the 1950s. You can read about it here.

In Civ, what it probably means is that the look of the interface will be congruent with this style.

If you've played Bioshock, the city of Rapture is all Art Deco.

OK, I moved my ass out of bed to get me a copy of the latest "Computer Bild Spiele".

Here is a short summary of all infos, however there will be some redundant information:

- one new leader is known, "Wu Zeitan" probably for China
- All leaders played by AI shall orientate on their historical examples, eg Elisabeth II tries to rule the sea
- Wonders of the world will be in Civ V as well, eg hanging gardens which make your people happy (so obviously there will be a happiness system)
- just one unit per hex! (the magazine makes no distinction between military and non military units)
- it is very important to use combined armies.
- terrain becomes more important: hills increase sight for normal units and strength for artillery units
- main goal is to make fights more interesting and to keep them away from the cities. Frontlines will be the new kind of fighting. If you breach a frontline you can go for the cities
- old military units will be converted into new ones, depending on your technology. The article implies that this could happen automatically, however: it may very well be, that the article is just written poorly.
- no religion. Lead Designer John Shafer thinks that religion in Civ led to a situation where civs where diplomatically divided by religion. He wants to have alliances having a bigger influence than religions.
- cities can grow bigger and have influence on 3 hexes instead of 2 tiles in any direction
- culture is responsible for the growth of your boundaries. The "fat cross" of a city remains the same if you capture it. So no need for a new culture expansion when you conquer a city
- allied Civs help you with your science, even if they research another tech
- having a one city Civ as your ally shall provide more benefits than to conquer it
- diplomacy shall give you more benefits, than just to conquer
- there will be no tech trading at all! Reason for this is to prevent backward civs to become militarily very strong over night (or over one turn ;) )
- there could be a new trait, probably "traditional" Wrong info: "traditional" is not a new trait, it is one of the branches you can choose in the social policies
- a whole new concept: "social policies". this comes directly from John Shafer:
You can "plan" your Civ now. Similar to the tech tree (i guess) there will be a "Civilization tree". You can choose which part you want to go and get several bonusses by this. You can either go deep into one branch of the tree or you follow several branches.

Tech trading is out... I am not sure how I feel about that, it has been the largest trading resource in civ 3 and 4.

Sounds good to me. I always have tech trading turned off to save me from spending every other turn trying to make a deal with reluctant AI:s that will trade like crazy amongst each other.

Schalke 04 said:
- All leaders played by AI shall orientate on their historical examples, eg Elisabeth II tries to rule the sea
Lo and behold the queen of the British Empire :lol:

I have heard that the current queen is very into dresses, I wonder how that would be reflected into civ... Dye is more valuble than gold and oil :)

OK, I moved my ass out of bed to get me a copy of the latest "Computer Bild Spiele".

Here is a short summary of all infos, however there will be some redundant information:

- one new leader is known, "Wu Zeitan" probably for China
- Wonders of the world will be in Civ V as well, eg hanging gardens which make your people happy (so obviously there will be a happiness system)
- just one unit per hex! (the magazine makes no distinction between military and non military units)
- it is very important to use combined armies.
- terrain becomes more important: hills increase sight for normal units and strength for artillery units
- main goal is to make fights more interesting and to keep them away from the cities. Frontlines will be the new kind of fighting. If you breach a frontline you can go for the cities
- old military units will be converted into new ones, depending on your technology. The article implies that this could happen automatically, however: it may very well be, that the article is just written poorly.
- no religion. Lead Designer John Shafer thinks that religion in Civ led to a situation where civs where diplomatically divided by religion. He wants to have alliances having a bigger influence than religions.
- cities can grow bigger and have influence on 3 hexes instead of 2 tiles in any direction
- culture is responsible for the growth of your boundaries. The "fat cross" of a city remains the same if you capture it. So no need for a new culture expansion when you conquer a city
- allied Civs help you with your science, even if they research another tech
- having a one city Civ as your ally shall provide more benefits than to conquer it
- diplomacy shall give you more benefits, than just to conquer
- there will be no tech trading at all! Reason for this is to prevent backward civs to become militarily very strong over night (or over one turn ;) )
- there could be a new trait, probably "traditional" Wrong info: "traditional" is not a new trait, it is one of the branches you can choose in the social policies
- a whole new concept: "social policies". this comes directly from John Shafer:
You can "plan" your Civ now. Similar to the tech tree (i guess) there will be a "Civilization tree". You can choose which part you want to go and get several bonusses by this. You can either go deep into one branch of the tree or you follow several branches.

Wow. Thanks for that. :D

It sucks that religion is out. :(

Culture will still be in though. :)

No tech trading is good also.

I want some kind of tech aquering, like if you conquer a civ then you should get some or all of the techs that that civ has. You have after all, all his engineers and scientists :)

Lead Designer John Shafer thinks that religion in Civ led to a situation where civs where diplomatically divided by religion

Well *duh*, that's exactly why I *loved* religions-(a) it was historically accurate & (b) from a game-play perspective it allowed you to get a better handle on who you could trust! It was such a huge step up from the situation where civs just ganged up on you because you were in the lead-i.e. it made diplomacy seem more *REAL*. If this is his reason for canning Religions, then my opinion of John Shafer just dropped quite considerably!!!!

Aussie.

Another thing-I don't want AI civs to align to what they were historically. I want to *rewrite* history, not merely replay it!
Seriously, my attitude towards Civ V has rapidly gone from excitement to dread-might just end up sticking with Civ IV instead!

Aussie.

Well *duh*, that's exactly why I *loved* religions-(a) it was historically accurate & (b) from a game-play perspective it allowed you to get a better handle on who you could trust! It was such a huge step up from the situation where civs just ganged up on you because you were in the lead-i.e. it made diplomacy seem more *REAL*. If this is his reason for canning Religions, then my opinion of John Shafer just dropped quite considerably!!!!

Aussie.

QFT. Etc.

Another thing-I don't want AI civs to align to what they were historically. I want to *rewrite* history, not merely replay it!
Seriously, my attitude towards Civ V has rapidly gone from excitement to dread-might just end up sticking with Civ IV instead!

Aussie.

Then why to have nations at all that are named after real ones?

I believe and hope that this "historicism" will not mean teh given civ will play all games the exact same way - just that the civ has some preference... like a trait, you can call it...

I am afraid that could apply to me too. No Religions? No TechTrading? All this did become *essential* to my Civ builder experience. So how much Civ will be left in Civ5 for me? I will give Civ5 a fair chance, but I have the sad feeling, that in the end I may long for a gameplay-rich Civ4 with the graphics of Civ5. :sad:

Schalke 04 said:
No religion. Lead Designer John Shafer thinks that diplomacy had more influence on history than religion and wants to reflect this in the game.
Hmmm, hundreds of year's trouble in Palestine, all the Holy Wars Europe vs. Arabia of the past, all these tales about people fleeing from Europe to build the USA in religious freedom, Muslims crashing the Twin Towers, the current Christian vs. Muslim wars in Afghanistan, all such things did have too little influence on history for Jon Shafer? Hmmm, perhaps Firaxis should hire him to Obama to solve Afghanistan conflict with supreme diplomacy - instead of dropping rich features from Civ.

Instead of tech-trade you will have co-teching :)

This will be a NEW civ game

Let's not forget that Shafer was maker of civ4 BTS, I bet he knows what he is doing

Top Bottom