H-E-L-P!!! Age Of Ice fan scenario: Fall from heaven mod NO INTERFACE

M

mcasey3

:mad::mad:I DON'T understand why i cant SEE ANYTHING in Age Of Ice, with God Of Winter FFH ??? I Think the graphics r Awesome But I CANT PLAY THE GAME.the few key board controls i have don't ALLOW me to view city,treasury,research,maps NOTHING!! I cant forge the sword because i cant use use the controls!? i am frustrated and want to know WHY i don't have the controls so i can play the game! Am i missing something here??? I just want to play the game and see my interface. Maybe there are keyboard controls i am not familiar with? I tried everything.Seems to me that there is something going on!! Any help/Advice/Keyboard controls to play this scenario? i cant promote,build improvments...ect the list goes ON!!! HELP!!

If you are playing under Windows Vista you want to run Civ4 in Administrator mode to play that scenario because it tries to create a log file called aoi.txt in the BTS directory and if that file can't be written the resulting Python errors will cause you to have no interface.

If you aren't playing under Vista, open up the file <My Games>/Beyond the Sword/Logs/PythonErr.log and post the contents.

phew, thought i'd not get to play it!! pretty good mod for Civ.. Anywho, just wanted to say thanks for lending the time to write me back:)

If you are playing under Windows Vista you want to run Civ4 in Administrator mode to play that scenario because it tries to create a log file called aoi.txt in the BTS directory and if that file can't be written the resulting Python errors will cause you to have no interface.

If you aren't playing under Vista, open up the file <My Games>/Beyond the Sword/Logs/PythonErr.log and post the contents.

What do you mean run Civ4 in Administrator mode I have the samething going on with my game I can't see the interface I am using Vista I am the Administrator on my computer if thats what you mean and it still don't work please help... Thanks

What I mean is that you need to launch BTS with the "Run As Administrator" option even if you have an Adminsitrator-level account. There are several ways to do this. In my case, I chose to create a special shortcut for Age of Ice using the following method.

1) Navigate to your BTS folder in the Explorer.

2) Right-click on the icon for Civ4BeyondtheSword.exe and drag it somewhere (like the desktop); choose "Create Shortcut Here" from the menu.

3) Right-click the new shortcut and choose Properties.

4) Switch to the Shortcut tab then add the following to the end of the Target box:
Code:
 mod=\FfH Age of Ice
(Note there is a space before "mod")

5) Switch to the Compatibility tab and check the option "Run this program as an administrator"

6) Click OK. When you double-click that shortcut, BTS should run in administrator mode (you'll have an extra confirmation first) and automatically load Age of Ice.

Note that another common reason for getting no interface when launching a mod is that there is a conflict with some of your Custom Assets. In that case, you can open up the mod's INI file and set the option.
Code:
NoCustomAssets = 1

I've been struggling with this issue for the past hour or so on my Mac version of Civ IV, and I was unable to find any posts that talked about a solution on Mac. So now that I've gotten it working, here it is.

The no interface problem in Age of Ice for Mac can be solved by logging in under a CLEAN Administrator account and playing the game from there, very similar to the Vista fix described above.

For the less savy:
- Go into System Preferences, then from there go into Accounts
- Use the + button to add a new account
- Check the box for "allow user to administer this computer"
- Log out of your current account
- Log back in using the new account you just created
- Run the game load the mod
- Smoke em if you got em

The weird part here is the fact that simply changing your standard account into an administrator account does NOT fix the problem... at least not for me, and this is after thorough testing of the problem isolating lots of different variables. I have no definite explanation for why, but my guess is it has something to do with preference files in the library having already been screwed up due to the initial error.

I found that on the Mac, all I needed to do was adjust the permissions on the game files. I want to say I did a "chmod ugo+rwx" on it from the terminal, but I don't remember specifically. I do not run from an admin account.

Dresden, i cant change the custom asset with "NoCustomAssets = 1" because i can only edit xml files and the code is in a configuration settings file and it doesnt let me change it. PLEASE RELPY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run the .exe of your text editor as an administrator, and open the file through the "Ctrl+O" function of your editor. Then you will be able to edit and save your file.

I never really get in to Fall from Heaven. I played it once. Didn't really like it. Still better than Afterworld.

Hi I am playing on Windows 7 and am unable to do any of these things, is there a chance someone could direct me how to make it work? Thanks

Well, I was going to post in the other thread you just made, but i'll post here. First, I would make sure that you are not running any mods like BUG in custom assets at the time you run AoI. The delivered content/scenarios will simply not work with mods like BUG (unless, of course, you mod the mod yourself).

If you run BUG for normal games in custom assets, as I do, you need to save off a copy of that and a vanilla/null custom asset folder. You can delete custom asset folders and it will simply be recreated if you start the game again.

If it's not BUG, then you might try this thread and the forum it resides in:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=370636

By the way, AoI, was a little mod the FFH guys provided to Firaxis as delivered content with BTS. It is a fun little adventure, but you will find the much bigger Fall From Heaven mod in the FFH forum as well as some excellent mod-mods of that game. Fun stuff.

I'm having the same problem, but I'm no where near this tech savvy. Dummies' guide to fix this stupid problem anyone?

Top Bottom