Road to War Issues

xatsmann

Warlord
I have spent a few days playing the Road to War until stopped by the "Waiting for other Civilizations" bug have discovered an number of issues:

The Kiel Canal is missing. Naval units in Kiel should be able to deploy either to the North Sea or Baltic. As it stands now you can only go to the Baltic from Kiel and must circumnavigate Jutland to get to the North Sea.

Airplanes cannot sink ships or wipe out air units and the same is true of naval units. While it makes sense on land that air power cannot completely destroy land units and you need to use a land unit to occupy territory this concept makes no sense with regards to air and naval units. Naval and air units should be able to completely destroy other air or naval units.

There is no way to engage in counter-espinoage at home. You must always go to the other country and peform a counter-espinoge mission. I think you should be able to do counter-espinage at home, but at a lower effectivness since it is directed against ALL countries rather than a specific power as a counter-espoinage mission on another countries soil will be.

The lack of open border agreements and cultural borders often negate military conquest by marooning units and cities in a sea of tiles belonging to another power. Military units should be able to negate cultural conquest of tiles immediately after a conquest WITHOUT starting a war with neighboring countries. As it now stands one is often encourged to attack neighboring countries just to get access to newly acquired cities. It also gives undue advantage to neighboring countries when you take out another nation, indeed, neigboring nations often make out better than the conquering nation.

Airplanes should be able to counter subs and intercept surface ships. As it now stands surface can intercept airplanes but not vice-versa. Subs are also immune to aircraft. Neither of these are very realistic.

The Kiel Canal is missing. Naval units in Kiel should be able to deploy either to the North Sea or Baltic. As it stands now you can only go to the Baltic from Kiel and must circumnavigate Jutland to get to the North Sea.

I suspect that is in because it makes it more accurate, so that Germany gets an advantage when it invades Franceand gains the altantic ports.

Airplanes cannot sink ships or wipe out air units and the same is true of naval units. While it makes sense on land that air power cannot completely destroy land units and you need to use a land unit to occupy territory this concept makes no sense with regards to air and naval units. Naval and air units should be able to completely destroy other air or naval units.

I agreethat plane should be able to destroy ships. However i do not believe that is true for naval ships when they bombard, because bombard represents firing at a ship that you can't see, and are acting on intelligence. Therefore you are unlikey to sink a ship like.

I had issue with the culture boundaries as well. So much so that I liberated all of captured France to Vichy.

I was playing Europe 1936 and historical.

1. Poland took me longer because i was expecting the Soviets to move into Eastern Poland. They didn't, so I had to swing north and further east then I had expected. (then encountered the Russian culture problem stranding me in my eastern Polish cities).

2. The biggest problem i encountered was actually the number of Russian units. They had more units in Riga then I had in all my cities combined and I built as fast as I could. In 1941 it turned out to be a Russian invasion of Germany. I couldn't stop them. Also my first PZKw Tigers didn't seem to want to blitz is there something i am missing here? I would have thought the Russians wouldn't be as prepared for attack in 41. But they were by far the most powerful nation on the board.

I had issue with the culture boundaries as well. So much so that I liberated all of captured France to Vichy.

I was playing Europe 1936 and historical.

1. Poland took me longer because i was expecting the Soviets to move into Eastern Poland. They didn't, so I had to swing north and further east then I had expected. (then encountered the Russian culture problem stranding me in my eastern Polish cities).

The add-on pack (you can get it from the RtW forum) adds the Soviet invasion of Poland as well as will fix the culture problem (across the board not just for the USSR-Polish border).

2. The biggest problem i encountered was actually the number of Russian units. They had more units in Riga then I had in all my cities combined and I built as fast as I could. In 1941 it turned out to be a Russian invasion of Germany. I couldn't stop them. Also my first PZKw Tigers didn't seem to want to blitz is there something i am missing here? I would have thought the Russians wouldn't be as prepared for attack in 41. But they were by far the most powerful nation on the board.

Espionage my friend! And factories. Concentrate on destroying USSR oil with espionage, and get as many factories in your cities as possible ASAP. During the war you can use more direct means to destroy oil wells (EG: bombers or artillery) but until then use spies.

Tigers shouldn't be able to blitz. They were heavy, slow laborious beasts. But don't stare too long down the barrel of one cuz they bite hard. ;)

I had problems with the espianage. I couldn't get my spy to do anythig I had points but never an opportunity to conduct a mission. I will try again. I assume though that if they aren't building tanks they will have just as many units just Infantry and Artillery. There really were more units then I could have killed. I had goods factories and the required factories in lots of my cities. Until 1941 things were looking pretty good.

i will give it another shot though.

Thanks

You need to get the add-on pack as it fixes a bug with spies.

Thanks Got the add-on pack but alas it crashes every time at the opening movie. I saw half of the movie directly after extracting the files but had to turn it off. Then This morning at the start of the opening movie it crashes. Windows says it has encountered a problem and shuts it down.

Patch 3.02?

Updated DirectX? (June update)

Try with the "No movies" option.

I had to quit the RtW game I started due to turn processing being entirely too slow. I think I got to about the beginning of '41, and I had 3-4 minute turn waits. It simply became too much to bear.

I installed the update i got from the link in one of your posts.

I got the zip folder

rtw_aop1_beta1.zip

is that the one you refer too?

I haven't seen a no movies option but I will take a look around. Where would i find that?

thanks for the assistance. I imagine you are a pretty busy guy.

An update. I can play the the brits fine. The espionage seems to work the game looks Great. Although Gibraltar needs a at least a hill!

I just don't seem to be able to play the Germans yet.

I am playing Japan in the Pacific, not historical. Just to get the feel of the game I attacked China almost immediately and the game seems fine with two exceptions.

1. I build Facist units to spread my "religion" and I get notice that the unit is built but then there is no unit to move. I did this three times. What am I missing? No one else has mentioned this bug so enlighten me.

2. I just don't seem to be able to do anything with spies. No matter where I go the spy cannot complete a mission because it is "seen" by the opposing nation. What do I need to do?

Thanks.

1. It depends what mode you are playing, if you play open play, they should work, if you play one of the other two modes then it won't work.

I am playing Japan in the Pacific, not historical. Just to get the feel of the game I attacked China almost immediately and the game seems fine with two exceptions.

1. I build Facist units to spread my "religion" and I get notice that the unit is built but then there is no unit to move. I did this three times. What am I missing? No one else has mentioned this bug so enlighten me.

2. I just don't seem to be able to do anything with spies. No matter where I go the spy cannot complete a mission because it is "seen" by the opposing nation. What do I need to do?

Thanks.

Download the add-on beta. It fixes these.

Ok so the 36 historical game ran fine playing the British until the movie in Sept 39 crashed the game. So how do I start the game with no movies like you mentioned before?

Advanced --> Options --> Graphics --> No Movies.

Definitely sounds something fishy with the movies.

Hi Dale.

I played as the Russkies in the Historical Scenarion. I see a couple of the bugs I encountered have been discussed

I stopped the game in late 40 when I realised I had more power than Germany & italy combined and that France (and Poland) were fighting on.

Regarding sabotaging Soviet Oil. You realise the Nazi-Soviet Pact gave alot of Oil to the Germans so perhaps Oil should be a limiting factor on how many Armoured units one can have.

Thanks for the movie thing Dale. It doesn't seem to be only your senerio. Regular games were crashing as well. (I just mostly play senerios)

So far my experiments with turning off the movies seems to be working (sucks because I like watching the movies)

Now however my question is. Can I start RTW without the movie at the beginning that crashed beofre i had a chance to actually touch anything?

Ok Thanks Dale. Turns out it was a problem waswith BTS in general and not an uncommon one. I was able to change an ini file and now the movies don't crash the game. I look forward to playing this mod. WWII was always my favorite in Civ2 and this one looks amazing. I have the new learderheads and the new German units look great!

By the way love the NATO Symbols. You wouldn't happen to be a world in flames fan would you?

noob questions. playing as english. can't build anything requiring oil in britain. i could for about 15 turns, now its gone. i still have all the oil in middle east. i can build there. kinda sux trying to get things built there when my main production centers are in england. just can't keep up

Top Bottom