best map type/speed/size for an oceanic map?

JimBobV

Warlord
I simply love oceanic map types, as it makes for a very interesting mix of events. From leaders bum rushing sea techs, or maybe expanding as fast as they can(Example: rushing liberty for extra workers and a settler so you can concentrate on more important things). It makes diplomacy more important in some cases, and less in others. I've always had fun playing on them, and they present many challenges combat wise, and expansion wise among many other things.

So I was wondering what setup in a oceanic map have you had the most fun in? Maybe a large map with small islands map type, or a quick game on archipelago, just give your opinion on what you think is best.

For ocean maps; my favorite is large island script + standard size + standard speed. In addition, I cut the city states down from 16 to 8.

On those settings you can almost always found between 3 and 5 cities on your own landmass. (4 most often; 3 second most often; and 5 third most often) This is very good for tall Tradition starts. If you later want more cities, just build a few Privateers from your designated military unit city with Barracks + Armory and optionally Heroic Epic.

I like playing as England on small continents. You can usually found 3 cities on home island, sometimes squeeze in 4. After optics there is often a nearby land mass that allows 1 or 2 others to be founded. Currently I've been playing on Marathon speed and standard size. The larger maps are even more fun but my computer struggles a bit if I go too big. In my last game the map was more like a stringy pangea, which was brilliant, but it usually throws up something more conventional.

Top Bottom