Blue Marble V4.0 Gold

I've tried 4.2, but I find I enjoy 3.0 more.
You are correct, v4 uses a very different style. And a new style is not automatically better for everybody. I am glad you still enjoy v3. Hint: If you install v4 and then v3 (without uninstalling v4 before) you will have v3 plus the nice new sea floor of Civ4Col (kudos to Firaxis).

I took your advice and did just that thing. Boy, the ocean sure looks better now. Best of both worlds! Regardless, thanks for coming up with Blue Marble in the first place. Fantastic job you did, in all versions. I used it since the first day it was posted up here, and I cannot, absolutely cannot play a game without Blue Marble being installed.

Funny thing is, my desktop background is the original Blue Marble composite picture you based the Civ graphics upon. My question is, where did you get the picture of the blue marble (The actual marble with earth on it)? I use it as a display picture everywhere, and I would LOVE to own an actual blue marble.

By the way, mind if I borrow your avatar picture? :)

Nice work, but it seams a littlen bit too dark ?

And it always miss a texture like "savanna" or dry plain, between Plain & Desert.
That will be really more realistic !

Snow-> Tundra-> Grassland-> Plain-> Savanna-> Desert.

white - brown - deep green - light green - light brown - sand yellow.

Savanna trees or bush will be extra (!).

With python adding savanna to the right place between Savanna and Desert.

No more plains an then Desert.

Norh east China, central Asia, Middle east, Africa and Central america need savanna plains to be really realistic.

The Savanna Terrain, features, resources .XML could be balanced too.

For My Civ 4 I'v add a terrain feature in the XML Art => Civ4Artdefines_Terrain.XML,

terrain grass= GrassBlend.dds

terrain plain= PlainsBlend.dds

* terrain savanna= Light/PlainsBlend.dds *

terrain desert= DesertBlend.dds

That very simple modifications add very realistic graphics to a heart map.

(need to add change XML, folder terrain ( terrain.XML and add savanna)

Where did you get the picture of the blue marble.
I would LOVE to own an actual blue marble.

I derived the Civ4BlueMarble logo from the NASA BlueMarble project of 2001.
Some free Marbles you may use that I created recently for another project:

And it always miss a texture like "savanna" or dry plain, between Plain & Desert. Snow-> Tundra-> Grassland-> Plain-> Savanna-> Desert.
You are right. But sorry, BlueMarble just wants to be a graphics mod, it does not want to alter anything regarding the gameplay - what would be the case with adding a new terrain type. So what I was trying with v4 "Gold" was giving the "Plains" a more Savanna-like (golden) look.

Perhaps in future evolution of BluMarble.

It could be very :drool: if you coul make a kind of BluMarble Mod (!), with moduls including new terrain graphic, new feature graphic, new animal, and ...

I'm looking for ,a very long time, when a "goodguy" will add some new relief graphics, like plato, small hills, depression (land below sea level), sandy coast, rocky coast etc...

Don't you think it could be the next stepp for BluMarble.
:drool:

Sorry Kissa, as I said, BlueMarble will remain a pure graphics mod and in its current state is finished (I am on other projects now). But there are other mods like "Improved Graphics" (see this forum) that could be exactly what you are looking for, combining new graphics with new game elements

Hmm, what do you other guys think? Are there people who like the new lighting (like me), or is it general consensus that the terrain is too dark now? I would be willing to make the terrain somewhat brighter again, but not that then will come complaints from other people?

I prefer the darker way myself. Not sure if I'm in the minority here. Great job by the way. This and the BUG mod are by far my favorite mods.

I prefer the v. 3. This looks too dark for my tastes. I have version 3 with the regular leader heads and screens--I don't like Darius with a mustache... And the blue sky background was distracting.

I like how the land looks in detail but overall I prefer the lightness of the older version, especially the water.

No need to worry here. BlueMarble 4 has the same requirements as version 3, meaning on "high res" it is using the high texture quality of Civ4 when it was released - before Firaxis later lowered memory requirements via lower res images through patches. So who can use BM3 should be able to use BM4 with the same settings. Who has problems with BM3 or BM4 on "high res" should try the "low res" installation.

Uninstalling BM3 for BM4 is not necessary; BM4 adds one more file to the user area than BM3 did, so all BM3 files will be overwritten anyway. In the case where you do not like BM4 and want to revert back to BM3 you should uninstall BM4 first, so that all its files are uninstalled before you install BM3.

how do i uninstall BM4?

With BTS ver 3.17, I have the Blue Marble ver 4.20 installed and running the Smartmap ver 9.1. While running "multiplayer" the game crashes, but not in single player. Smartmap does not seem to be the problem, as the game loads fine with multiplayer running Smartmap alone. Once I install any or all of the Blue Marble options, low or Hi Res, the game blows up. Again, Single Player works fine. How do I fix this multiplayer problem with the Blue Marble Mod? :sad:

Orion Veteran :cool:

BlueMarble is compatible with Multiplayer. But perhaps your mod is not fully compatible with the CustomAssets mechanism Firaxis provided for custom assets? However, I tried SmartMap with BlueMarble myself and see no chrashes, neither in Single nor Multiplayer. Perhaps you have another mod installed that is problematic? Sorry, but BlueMarble only replaces some graphics - apart from that it changes nothing of the game code. So I cannot do anything if a certain game code might crash with custom graphics.

BlueMarble is compatible with Multiplayer. But perhaps your mod is not fully compatible with the CustomAssets mechanism Firaxis provided for custom assets? However, I tried SmartMap with BlueMarble myself and see no chrashes, neither in Single nor Multiplayer. Perhaps you have another mod installed that is problematic? Sorry, but BlueMarble only replaces some graphics - apart from that it changes nothing of the game code. So I cannot do anything if a certain game code might crash with custom graphics.

After a complete clean installation of CIV4, Warlords, BTS, Blue Marble (BM) and Smartmap; everything worked as it should have in multiplayer. I initially thought it must have been my CustomAssets. But no! After uninstalling and re-installing BM, the problem returned. :crazyeye:

If I uninstall BM and create a new multiplayer game using Smartmap and any of my mods, then the save works and the map is good. I then reinstalled BM and it works with the saved file, but fails again when creating a new multiplayer game. There is no doubt about it: There is some some sort of conflict causing this bug. Even when running BTS pure, with no mod, the problem persists. I have nothing in CustomAssets. :(

I don't want to have to uninstall BM every time I start a multiplayer game. Please help.

Orion Veteran :cool:

I don't want to have to uninstall BM every time I start a multiplayer game. Please help.
Sorry, as I said, I do not know what causes your MP crashes and I really cannot do anything. BM ist just a graphics mod and I only can change graphics. I have not the possibility and not the intention to change any programming code of the game that seems to cause problems on your side.

I only could guess that your system somehow has troubles using CustomAssets. But such a problem only a Firaxis programmer could solve, not a humble graphicist like me. The only thing you could do is to copy the BlueMarble-CustomAssets folder over your original Assets in your installation directory. After this then you could delete the BM CustomAssets folder. This way your problem should go, but you could not uninstall BM anymore. To see where the CustomAssets folders are located that BlueMarble uses click on "List Affected Files" in the installer. Good luck!

V4.50 has been posted.
This version brings a new brightness selector in the installer, so that people who think the terrain is too dark (typically on older monitors) or too bright (typically on brand new monitors) can adjust their Blue Marble installation. This version also brings a new snow style and lots of small refinements. Thanks for your feedback!

There is no need to uninstall an old BlueMarble version before installing this new one.

Top Bottom