Hunter/Gathering Nomadic start at Game Open project

To promote the actual nomadity of nomads, the land they are harvesting should get depleted over time forcing the nomads to move on or risk territory going to pot. Much like in modern Mongolia where idiots learned that tending a herd of goat/sheep is profitable and have set up permenent dwellings on the winter feeding lands. Said land are visably turning into a desert from depletion. Its bad enough that you could do timelapse photography and show it as a video. The actual nomads are incensed.

This mechanic can also be used to enforce supply lines for armies. Run the avaiable rsources out and the land quality degrades. If the land can't handle the strain the units on the tile start taking enviromental damage from starvation and infighting, plus any actual terrain damage. Permenent improvements let the land support more. Line of sight on a unit determines its gathering range.

The current way it is set up is that land recovers when not used to a maximum and the recovery rate is less than the gathering rate for the nomads.

I am not sure that a "unit" will work properly in the long run. I think we may need to go for a "migration path". Especially when turns and migration distances do not match up. Eg animal migrations can cover 100 miles in a year but units can't travel more than 20 in a turn of 25 years.:crazyeye:

I look forward to this idea being worked on again. When convenient of course.

:bump:

Was thinking about some aspects of nomad start while at work today and thought I would throw my two cents in. Just some personal thoughts, that's all!

Things I would love to see in Nomad start:

A necessity to travel around with your nomad band.

The ability to build small villages that can produce units and maybe a limited amount of buildings. Would be used to control key areas or resources for your tribe while not having a major setback to the player when losing it (for example the kick in the nuts losing a city is). Basically you could abandon them at some point or eventually they would become permanent settlement.

A viable nomadic existence at least until sedentary lifestyle, if not longer.
The ability to travel from one region to another and not be restricted by starting culture, at least not until possibly cultural identity.

Gathering or hunting of certain resources would give you a bonus towards certain techs. E.g. subduing a wolf could give you a huge bonus on canine domestication.

I feel bad I haven't tested the beta on this yet but I really am looking forward to its implementation. I've been spending too much time racing to get my project done before v24 release to have time to take a look.

I feel bad I haven't tested the beta on this yet but I really am looking forward to its implementation. I've been spending too much time racing to get my project done before v24 release to have time to take a look.
There is not really anything to test yet. It is purely a tech demo to show how it might be done with the mechanics we have.

I have not added the stuff I wanted to, but as I said above, I am not happy with the idea of a unit instead of something like a migration path since following the herds is what it is about. perhaps my real problem is with what "nomad" means. Sure it means moving about but is the nomadic life of early humans the same as later hunting nomads or the latter herding nomads. In the first the tribe moves over a small range. In the second the tribe follows the herds. While in the third it is the tribe that move the herds to better grazing.

Edit, FYI the US magazine "Archaeology" May/June 2012 has an interesting article on nomads and another on board games.

There is not really anything to test yet. It is purely a tech demo to show how it might be done with the mechanics we have.

Is there a testing ETA then on this project?

Is there a testing ETA then on this project?

It is a concept at the moment not even a a real prototype. It it were a prototype we could test it for fit. If it is not ft with C2C it will be thrown out. Or if it is possible to make it fit a lot of work will be needed to make it so.

It is a concept at the moment not even a a real prototype. It it were a prototype we could test it for fit. If it is not ft with C2C it will be thrown out. Or if it is possible to make it fit a lot of work will be needed to make it so.

I was given the impression by some that it is going in no matter what, because alot of the techs are being made just for that purpose and moved around, or am i mistaken:crazyeye:

I was given the impression by some that it is going in no matter what, because alot of the techs are being made just for that purpose and moved around, or am i mistaken:crazyeye:

There was knee jerk reaction when AIAndy posted the concept unit that redid the tech tree for nomads. In my opinion the way it is in the concept stage just does not work. We need it to be viable. In my view there are at least three things that need to be done to make it work.

1) At least one new era probably two. In the first era you can only be nomads. In the second you can be a mixture.

2) The nomad progression
- basic range like animals range about an area
- follow the herds requires that (all) animal resources appear much earlier
- pastoralist ie control the movement of the herds
- nomad nation

3) A new "city" screen called migration path. Which allows the building of some types of buildings on the map eg the various styles of stone rings (Stonehenge being the most recent and least spectacular or the big ones), meeting places, hill forts and the like.

The prehistoric techs were put in regardless of the nomadic stuff. As you can see one can play the game without nomad stuff and the prehistoric techs still make sense and for the most part even have something unlocked at each tech (worked hard to have something for nearly every prehistoric tech).

Note that much of what was made in the redone prehistoric was done for these reasons ...

1. DH was threatening to leave. So I wanted to make sure his and Johnny Smith's stuff were added so he would not leave C2C.

2. They were good ideas and I really though they would help improve that era (which I think it has).

3. The Nomadic stuff was shown to work in a rudimentary way and it seemed at the time that we needed to make the techs to support the new promotions for them. Note the nomad promotions have since been removed (but could be put back in I assume).

3. The Nomadic stuff was shown to work in a rudimentary way and it seemed at the time that we needed to make the techs to support the new promotions for them. Note the nomad promotions have since been removed (but could be put back in I assume).

They are still there but you have to turn on the nomad demo to get them. It is off by default. Also there is no way to get some of the promotions yet and others don't do anything because the promotion mechanism does not do quite what is needed. EG the promotions that are pseudo buildings - fire stick the promotion should provide all the benefits of fire pit the building.

They are still there but you have to turn on the nomad demo to get them. It is off by default. Also there is no way to get some of the promotions yet and others don't do anything because the promotion mechanism does not do quite what is needed. EG the promotions that are pseudo buildings - fire stick the promotion should provide all the benefits of fire pit the building.

The current Nomad stuff is in no way playable, so I suggest no one use it unless you really want to understand the property system.

The current Nomad stuff is in no way playable, so I suggest no one use it unless you really want to understand the property system.
Indeed, it was only ever meant as a tech demo, showing the way the systems could be combined to get a possible system for nomads.

I think that the stuff nomads build on the map would be best represented by improvements so I am not sure if we really need a new UI screen.

I have not added the stuff I wanted to, but as I said above, I am not happy with the idea of a unit instead of something like a migration path since following the herds is what it is about. perhaps my real problem is with what "nomad" means. Sure it means moving about but is the nomadic life of early humans the same as later hunting nomads or the latter herding nomads. In the first the tribe moves over a small range. In the second the tribe follows the herds. While in the third it is the tribe that move the herds to better grazing.

Edit, FYI the US magazine "Archaeology" May/June 2012 has an interesting article on nomads and another on board games.

Dancing Hoskuld and Everybody

I love the idea of figuring out migration paths, and using basic scientific modeling of paths to add simple "living world" techniques like migration to really enhance C2C. It would be interesting to have reactive animal behavior, (I hate to mention video games that compete for attention but Skyrim has some community created mods that do a great job of animal behavior including flocking, and realistic predator-prey modeling.)
Note: that this can start simple and be improved version to version.

The routes can be built by starting with simple patrolling routines, that exist in games like SMAC and it's implementation in Civ, Maniac's wonderful mod Planetfall.
1. We could start by using the patrol and automation routine, a looped go here and come back to here to create a back and forth routing between 2 specific locations.

2. The routine could be improved to create a circular route. (let's say take a north path to the west, then take a south path back to the east). This could vastly improve AI behavior and patrolling, exploring routines. (I know pathing behavior is complicated to implement). Once we have a good direct circle routing AI routine, then we can slightly vary it up, and link it to behavior. (I know little about recent AI game-pathing advances, I do have significant experience on knowing what is possible to moderately easily implement.)

3. Scripted behavior (animals, food for nomads to follow) could create a combined changing basic movement pattern based on terrain, climate, food availability, predators, etc. without getting too complicated.

4. To keep the idea of nomad units in balance with migration paths, I think integrating the two ideas could work without being distasteful.
Since mankind evolved intelligence from instinctive behavior, I think nomad units could be slowly given an extended range from scripted migration behavior as the game progresses. Nomad units are basically just tribes that set down makeshift cities wherever they camp. There are still nomadic cultures today, and the concept could be applied to modern and futuristic gameplay(like someone mentioned).
There could be also exciting consequences and events evolving for nomadic deviations from regular behavior (ex - you discovered a new food source, shelter vs your tribe now cannot find enough food, lost track of a food staple migration path due). Early nomads could also have reactions, involuntary movements like retreating that avoid predators. I think there are an extra-ordinary amount of scenarios and event scripting possibilities that could easily advance prehistoric gameplay. We probably need an extended community discussion to work out preferred choices in simulating behavior. I've consumed a good bit of prehistoric fiction, and played/thought about a good bit of the god and simulation video games covering this time period.

No matter what I think, migration paths, and following the herds , survival, food choices, avoidance of predators and influence from weather should dominate early gameplay.
As technology increases, freedom of movement / settling down choices should open up. Based on food availability some cultures could choose to never settle down into cities.
The question comes down to what choices and patterned behavior should be both realistic and fun to play. I could easily say a lot more on the subject.

I hope we can discover the best solution to this balance that keeps every happy :) .
It may just take more discussion and time to figure it out to everyone's satisfaction.

(I have to reference that article, sounds interesting.)

Indeed, it was only ever meant as a tech demo, showing the way the systems could be combined to get a possible system for nomads.

I think that the stuff nomads build on the map would be best represented by improvements so I am not sure if we really need a new UI screen.

I think a relatively large number of people have stated they really would like to see this worked out as a priority. I personally think that C2C deserves an epic start, and working out an exciting and well thought-out early behavior for the expansion of mankind could make for the best introduction to new players.

I agree that a new UI screen should probably not be necessary, having the nomad unit act like both a limited city and a settler, that has survival and food migration restraints could potentially work if it plausibly simulated the expansion of early man across the continents. The nomad unit should not be as free to move as an explorer, and range should be limited by exhaustible local food supply and following animal migration patterns.

I think we need more ideas and discussion to help pin down the desired characteristics and behavior of possible end results. Then we can move on to work out a better active implementation. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I think a relatively large number of people have stated they really would like to see this worked out as a priority. I personally think that C2C deserves an epic start, and working out an exciting and well thought-out early behavior for the expansion of mankind could make for the best introduction to new players.

:thumbsup::clap:

:bump:

I am not convinced that we can replicate historical nomads on the map sizes we have since most nomads would not have moved out of the single plot. However I think it would need the 'supply lines" implemented to make it work better. Infact I would say that "supply lines" has higher priority.

@Dancing Hoskuld

Well I think scale is one of the most skewed aspects of the game. However the Nomadic start is more for the experience of wandering around the map without a city (or even with 1 city). Even though the scale of it is unrealsitic I think it would give a great feel to the beginning of the game.

Top Bottom