New Cumulative history Quiz VII

I think I remember that Peter loved to play the drum and did so often during parades.
Was he a drummer "boy" during battles?

Nope.

Let's take a look at the original question, just so we don't lose focus of precisely what it is that I want.

the guy was 7 ft. tall and when he was on horseback he could "see for miles and miles..." That means he could also be seen first coming over the horizon.

6'3''. But he also went to great lengths (lol) to recruit lots of tall Western Europeans for the Russian Army during his trips there. So this is not our answer.

Indeed he did; including one young Frenchman who became a cavalry officer. Now the Tsar liked to visit his men and would always enquire after their welfare: asking 'how old are you?' 'How long have you been in my service?' and 'Are you satisfied with your pay and conditions?'. Now this Frenchman's regiment was due a visit from His Majesty and he was panicking since he didn't know a word of Russian. Fortunately, his batman - through whom he communicated with his men, when he needed to - spoke both Russian and French and told him the questions, the answers to which he memorised.

The day of the visit came and the French officer found himself before the Tsar. Tsar Peter - perhaps slightly suspicious and ever slightly mischevous - decided to ask the questions in a different order.

"How long have you been in my service?"
"Twenty-one years, SAH!"

This was admirable for a man clearly about 21, but Peter pressed on:

"How old are you?"
"One year, SAH!"

At this point the Tsar was perplexed and remarked "Clearly, one of us has taken leave of his senses"

"Both, if you please, SAH!"

Was he the one actively kidnapping foreigners to add to his army, or was that Frederick?

Indeed he did; including one young Frenchman who became a cavalry officer. Now the Tsar liked to visit his men and would always enquire after their welfare: asking 'how old are you?' 'How long have you been in my service?' and 'Are you satisfied with your pay and conditions?'. Now this Frenchman's regiment was due a visit from His Majesty and he was panicking since he didn't know a word of Russian. Fortunately, his batman - through whom he communicated with his men, when he needed to - spoke both Russian and French and told him the questions, the answers to which he memorised.

The day of the visit came and the French officer found himself before the Tsar. Tsar Peter - perhaps slightly suspicious and ever slightly mischevous - decided to ask the questions in a different order.

"How long have you been in my service?"
"Twenty-one years, SAH!"

This was admirable for a man clearly about 21, but Peter pressed on:

"How old are you?"
"One year, SAH!"

At this point the Tsar was perplexed and remarked "Clearly, one of us has taken leave of his senses"

"Both, if you please, SAH!"

:lmao:

Was he the one actively kidnapping foreigners to add to his army, or was that Frederick?

I don't know.

I've heard the story Flying Pig quotes as being about Frederick the Great. The Guiness book of military anecdotes cites Naval and Military Anecdotes, 1824 as the source. It also finishes with the French solider saying in his native tongue that he did not understand a word of German at which point the King laughed heartily and after exhorting him to perform his duty left him.

As for the kidnapping I think that was Frederick the Great's father who had an obsession with overly tall men and kidnapped them to serve in his grenadiers.

I've heard the story Flying Pig quotes as being about Frederick the Great. The Guiness book of military anecdotes cites Naval and Military Anecdotes, 1824 as the source. It also finishes with the French solider saying in his native tongue that he did not understand a word of German at which point the King laughed heartily and after exhorting him to perform his duty left him.

As for the kidnapping I think that was Frederick the Great's father who had an obsession with overly tall men and kidnapped them to serve in his grenadiers.

Ah, probably. Would fit better to be honest; truth be told it's probably doing the rounds about both.

It would fit better because that's where the actual story came from. [Insert snide comment about hobby-historians not being able to tell the difference between Prussia and Russia here.]

...How does that even work?

Peter the Great was Tsar of Russia, Frederick the Great was King of Prussia. Both were very charismatic military leaders and had the same last names, hence the confusion. Dachs is saying that he could make fun of bad historians by saying that the confusion stems from the similarity of Russia and Prussia

Clue: Pyotr I was 7 feet tall.

Cheezy already said that he was 6 foot 3, which is less exceptional

It would fit better because that's where the actual story came from. [Insert snide comment about hobby-historians not being able to tell the difference between Prussia and Russia here.]
In World Studies people couldn't tell the difference between Prussia and Persia...

:eek: How can you not tell the difference between a Central European country that later unified and became Germany, and an Ancient Islamic Empire that was conquered notably by the Makedonians, Mongols and Timurids, among others?

Guessing from these comments: Did he acquire command experience in several (maybe all) different branches of the military? Artillery, Infantry, Cavalry and the Navy?

No, that was Peter III.

Let's go back to this guess, shall we?

Its got the right idea, but wrong implementation.

Hmmm.... going by this: Did he serve as an ordinary soldier/sailor in different branches?

Top Bottom