SGOTM 11 Rules Discussion

Pretty sure there was a clarification somewhere along the line that you can have any combo of great people... though I can't find it now.

I'm happy with people from other teams giving us ideas by "thinking out loud" in this thread, so to speak :)

Looking forward to this unusual game, should mix things up a bit relative to a normal game.

Pretty sure there was a clarification somewhere along the line that you can have any combo of great people... though I can't find it now.

I'm happy with people from other teams giving us ideas by "thinking out loud" in this thread, so to speak :)

Looking forward to this unusual game, should mix things up a bit relative to a normal game.

Be wary of disinformation. Feeding the enemy bad ideas that perhaps people have already rejected. I kind of think this thread should stick to rules and questions. Deciding what to do is something I am sure we can all figure out ourselves over the next few months.

OPINION, that figuring out strategies(like how many vassals does it take to disqualify an entry), should be left to the individual teams. Maybe I am wrong...

:dunno:
I guess I thought that things like "what would disqualify an entry" are rules discussion rather than strategy discussion. All are still free to discuss the merits and risks of vassalizing in the team strategy threads.

Rules: I am wondering about colonies should any AI spawn one. Would they count as another civ with negative modifier "you declared war on us" if such were to occur? If so... Would elimination of said colony-spawned civilization eliminate the said modifier from disqualifying an entry?

I am sure any combination of regular great people will do for the requirement (otherwise it would have been stated). But how about great generals? Surely not! (What would Eldine think?).

But the term 'great people' would seem to include generals normally.

Must the four great people all be different types (e.g., 1 GP, 1 GM, 1 GA, 1 GE) or can we have multiple great people of the same type (e.g., 4 GP or 2 GP & 2 GA)

You can have any combination including multiple great people (two, three or four of the same)

EDIT: Yes, Great Generals are fine. They will of course be sacrificed in Eldine's honor immediately to please her.

Rules: I am wondering about colonies should any AI spawn one. Would they count as another civ with negative modifier "you declared war on us" if such were to occur? If so... Would elimination of said colony-spawned civilization eliminate the said modifier from disqualifying an entry?

Me and DS are right now recovering from a three days visit on Dante's third level of Hell. There we have received severe and well deserved punishment for one of the gravest sins in SGOTM map making: the arrogant belief that our rules where foolproof. The rules for colonies will be published any day. Please be patient.

BTW - we detected traces of Gyathaar that indicates he's been on the fourth level. Must have been the Armageddon rules combined with him placing Gandhi so close to our starting point...

You can have any combination including multiple great people (two, three or four of the same)

EDIT: Yes, Great Generals are fine. They will of course be sacrificed in Eldine's honor immediately to please her.
Thanks for the clarification, and welcome back from Dante's third level of Hell. In my experience, recovery from such a perilous journey is greatly expedited by the liberal consumption of cold, frosty beverages down at your local pub :beer:

I think I'm gonna like playing with you Grifftavian!

Me and DS are right now recovering from a three days visit on Dante's third level of Hell. There we have received severe and well deserved punishment for one of the gravest sins in SGOTM map making: the arrogant belief that our rules where foolproof. The rules for colonies will be published any day. Please be patient.

I did wonder about colonies too. i thought that part of my question earlier was missed. It is one area that you can't control as it will be random if the Ai set them up. I am also guessing that setting up our own colonies is within the rules and still has to reflect all game conditions.

I guess we will wait for clarification. I don't think any game would be outside the realms of manipulation. Theres only so much play testing you can do.

If a team find an effective strategy should they really be stopped? Perhaps only if a game breaker? One would hope the goddess would reward such teams for innovative ideas?

Do we get award points for best graphics of her created. Now I dare not compare her to Catherine, Izzy or Boudica as I wouldn't want to anger her. hehe

This was the post I was referring to the most. No offense to swede....but I am of the opinion, and this is just my OPINION, that figuring out strategies(like how many vassals does it take to disqualify an entry), should be left to the individual teams. Maybe I am wrong...

I think asking anything along the lines of 'would X disqualify the game' counts as clarification of the rules and so is appropriate here. What wouldn't be appropriate in this thread would be discussions along the lines of 'when's the best time to declare war in order to get a vassal' since that is clearly in the realms of strategy and has nothing to do with the game rules.

I think asking anything along the lines of 'would X disqualify the game' counts as clarification of the rules and so is appropriate here. What wouldn't be appropriate in this thread would be discussions along the lines of 'when's the best time to declare war in order to get a vassal' since that is clearly in the realms of strategy and has nothing to do with the game rules.
It is possible in inquiring about a rule to also inquire if a particular strategy is or is not acceptable/permissable as an approach to dealing with that rule, which could be viewed as revealing a potential strategy in an open thread.

I think Ronnie1 and I thought kcd had crossed a bit into strategy (although not in a big way), and I made a joke, and R1 ... reacted more strongly (maybe with pre-emptive intent).

dV

Sorry if I was a bit abrupt....:(

I am all for clarification, however, I do agree with dV that kcd is at least on a slippery slope. ;)

No MW, no Russians, we may have a chance!

If we have a vassal, does the vassal's relations with other AI count in any way against a declaring war penalty? - anything involving the vassal - say if we vassalized A, and B declared on us - I think A then actually declares on B. But shouldn't matter who our vassal declares war on, right?

In fact I guess it merits checking what order things happen in with vassal declarations. Pretty sure if a human team initiates a war against one other civ the vassals DoW us instead of us DoWing them though, but that might be a "strategy" thing to check.

I do agree with dV that kcd is at least on a slippery slope. ;)

Oooh.... glad I didn't pack away my snowboard for the summer yet, then. :D

And Da Vinci is probably correct in his assessment that you should not be sharing state secrets with me. :lol:

Seems like the DoW on max 2 AIs carries a number of dangers. 1) AIs having vassals. 2) AIs having Defense Pacts. The rule needs to be simple and unalterable (which it is, imo) or all these possibilities need to be addressed individually.

Seems like the DoW on max 2 AIs carries a number of dangers. 1) AIs having vassals. 2) AIs having Defense Pacts. The rule needs to be simple and unalterable (which it is, imo) or all these possibilities need to be addressed individually.
AI with vassals: If you declare to an AI, you automatically declare on 2 (or more). How does this counts?
Variation: you left an AI with 2 cities. This decides to self vassallize to another AI. You declare again on him. How does this counts respect the master AI?

Defensive pacts are not a problem: you declare to one AI and the one sharing the DP will declare to you. It's a good way to declare to an AI without incur in the disqualification.

rule is simple. it does not say you can declare on 2 ai, it says no more then 2 ai's can have modifier you declare war on as.

When declaring on master you declare on all his vassals, so that mean you may or may not break rule depends on number of vassals and previous declarations.

You mentioned earlier that a great general will work as one of the four great people needed on the fur at the end of the game.

Does that mean we can attach the great general to a military unit, and bring that military unit with the attached general to the fur?

Now that is a GOOD Question! Attached to one of the 4 warriors even!

Top Bottom