Austria Bonus Game Spoiler.

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
I think we'll only have one spoiler therad for this game.

Most important information is the strategies that you used as the Austrians, being militaristic and industrious. Ideally, this sounds like a war-mongers set-up, and the Unique Unit (Hussar) is fairly useful for this as well.

Well, it's a quick game so I finished it quickly :) w/o looking much on optimising score or finish date.

I played open (emperor) class.

I settled west on the coast.
Build warrior then barracks. Science 100% alphabet.
Met Russia in 3550BC, bought pottery - barracks build changed to granary.
Found a zulu conscript warrior-settler pair in 3000BC and attacked with my reg warrior.
The two slaves hiked back, while the warrior entered zulu land to distract the stronger zulu forces.
Managed to make peace before a single zulu unit came near the capital.
Salzburg founded in 2350BC NE on river and coast.
In the meantime I was able to buy another zulu and a russian worker, so I didn't need native workers.
Next towns:
1790BC Innsbruck (spices)
1475BC Graz (horses)
1350BC Krems (ivory at the gates of moscow)
1125BC Landeck (back filling towards Krems)

The philosophy-republic slingshot succeeded in 1150BC and we revolted for a 5-turn anarchy.

The empire in 1000BC:

No contact made outside the starting continent, though you can see the traces of many brave curraghs.
We only have all first tier techs IW, HBR and the path to republic at that time.

In 900BC a a stack of 6 archers and 2 horsemen lays siege on moscow.
The 3 reg spears stand no chance and moscow is ours.
Shortly after St. Petersburg was razed and we get Yaroslavl' (iron) in the peace treaty.
Cathy plays OCC at rostov now, but is still at war with Shaka.

In 850BC a curragh finally makes it to the other continent and we get contact with the Mongols.
Having more trade partners makes the civs on our continent disposable and I decide to get rid of Cathy and Shaka soon.

Russia was assimilated in 510BC still with horses and archers.

The Statue of Zeus completed in 550BC so I had some ancient cavs to deal with Shaka.
The battle of Zimbabwe spawned our first leader, so the final blow was delivered by an ancient cav army in 270BC.
This was also the turn we entered middle ages by researching Polytheism.
Mongols and Dutch were already in MA, but self researching was cheaper.
Persia got engineering as free tech so I researched monotheism.
After that was a long phase of just filling the land and training troops on barbs.

The Dutch built the Lighthouse, so they settled a town on our continent in 190AD.
We took it in 350AD. I had war with them anyway, because I had spawned wars on the other continent.
There was never peace there in the middle ages.
I intended the final wars to be done by hussars.
But I got a little impatient and started the invasion of Persia with ancient cav in 580AD.
I had the one acav army with two members, so it fit in a caravel.
Bactra and Sidon fell quickly and I got another leader, which formed a second acav army.
Persepolis fell in 680AD and I made peace, to wait now finally for hussars.
Realistically this was not necessary.
The two ancient cav armies backed by some lose acavs and some knights could have taken on the rest of this continent.
But I wanted to see hussars in action (and a golden age).
Finally in 810AD we got MT. We had built Leonardo's in Vienna and 24 horsemen for upgrade, but no money.
We triggered the Golden age with our first hussar and started to work our path to conquest.
First the rest of Persia then Netherlands and finally the Mongols.
Still took some time and I wasn't really impressed with the hussars.
Finally conquest in 1000AD, still in Golden age.
In the end I had 5 armies and 49 hussars.

Played to 1000BC so far. Here's my QSC stats:
Conquest class--I just stepped up to Monarch not long ago>

Production in stock:
Food 36 Shields 179 (trying to build a wonder) Gold 21

Contacts: 2, no embassies.

Territory and cities:
51 squares, 3 towns, 11 population, have 3 barracks and 2 grainaries.

Population:
5 happy, 3 content, 3 unhappy.

Units:
3 workers, 2 warriors, 2 archers, 3 spears.
1 regular, 4 veteran, 2 elite.

Technology:
all starter techs + ironworking.
2 turns from horseback@11 science/turn.

I settled SE, Worker building road and mine SW.
Research Pottery, Wheel, Alphabet (as much research as possible)

Build order: Warrior,Grannary,Settler,Barracks,Warrior, Spearman,Settler
Vienna, as much as other core cities were used primarily for production. Only as their size aproached 6, settler or Worker was built.

3500 BC Contact Russians, Given Masonry, Warrior Code for Bronze Working, Pottery, 35 GP

3000 BC Contacted Zulu, Given Masonry for Ceremonial Burial, 10 GP

I tried postponed Republic slingshot, which I missed as Zulus got Philosophy roughly at the same time as I researched Code of Laws.

1500 BC War declared to Russia, by 1000 BC captured 3 cities, 1 got in peace agreement.

QSC
8 cities, 20 population
5 Workers, 5 Slaves
2 contacts, 2 embassies
2 Curragh, 2 Warriors, 8 Spearman, 9 Archers, 13 Techs
55 Gold

710 BC War with Zulus
580 BC Zimbabwe finally built Pyramids,
590 BC Zimbabwe captured :D, 1st Leader, FP in Zimbabwe
150 BC Built SoZ and got Golden Age

New knowledge: The GA was totally unplanned. I did not know the captured wonders count as trigger conditions. Here I am overlooking something or the pyramid supplied the Industrious part of the GA trigger.

70 AD Republic, Peace with Zulu. Yes, GA revolution. My core cities benefit only slightly from GA in Despot, so this was probably optimal solution.

150 AD MAJOR Barb uprisings in former Zulu territory - I have eliminated (by killing or by being ransacked :blush: ) at least 80 barb horsemen.

Tip: Having little treasury, it is a great way to put an undefended 1 size city between you and the barbarian horde. They will 'vanish in your cit at practically no cost.

270 AD Russia destroyed
420 AD Finally one galley passed to the other continent and quickly discovered remaining civs. I have lost some 6 curraghs/galley so far to Barbs

530 AD Zulus destroyed

530AD + building cities everyvhere on the continent aiming for Cultural 100 K.

Attachments

• cotm07-bonus-timeline.TXT
    10.7 KB · Views: 224
I didn't submit my game but I enjoyed playing it.

I played Conquest class so Monarch difficulty, which was a challenge due to the starting position allowing only for one good city. But as soon as I got my military machine rolling and the industrious workers chopped the jungle things went smoothly. Personally I think the Hussar is a bit underpowered compared to the Sipahi and the Cossack.

But imagining this map without militaristic and industrious, brrr...:D

I aimed to attack both my opponents Russia and Zulus as soon as possible with horses, naturally Russia unprotected by Jungle was my first choice, as to weaken both to the extent that I could wipe them out easily with Knights lateron. Industrious was fundamental to my success, any other trait would have seen me stuck in that hell of a start place with jungle, I guess.

TheArchduke said:
I Personally I think the Hussar is a bit underpowered compared to the Sipahi and the Cossack.

Hussars cost only 80 shields (the same as the Cavalry), while Sipahis are more expensive at 100 shields. I value Hussars above Sipahis, because I often have cities with 40+ production, but seldom with 50+ production during the period of Hussars usage.

I am not sure about the price of Cossacks though.

I didn't submit my game but I enjoyed playing it.
Well, so far there's only one submission. Are you guys going to let Klarius walk away with all the bragging rights on this one? :mischief:

AlanH said:
Well, so far there's only one submission. Are you guys going to let Klarius walk away with all the bragging rights on this one? :mischief:
Uhm... yes. :D
(I reloaded when things went bad... :( :blush: :) )

AlanH said:
Not with all of them. I have a game on the way, but I decided for 100 K Culture one continent challenge. I was about 50 turns from victory and thought I post it yesterday, but I got a DOW, which probably postpone my submission time until tonight or tomorrow.
I have also QSC timeline ready, but I am afraid that with so few submissions it make no sense to process the results.

As I said before, I'll open the QSC submissions page if there's interest. I thought it unlikely that people would produce a timeline though for a quick game.

One submission or 100 makes little difference, for the game or for the QSC, now that we have the tools.

AlanH said:

I seriously thought I wouldn't reload this time, but I did, yes shame on me. But I promised myself to not do this for GotM this time and join the club.

Found a zulu conscript warrior-settler pair in 3000BC and attacked with my reg warrior.
The two slaves hiked back, while the warrior entered zulu land to distract the stronger zulu forces.
Questions: Is this somthing you do frequently in the early game? What did your military look like at this point?

Mistfit said:
Questions: Is this somthing you do frequently in the early game? What did your military look like at this point?
I don't do it frequently, but this was a special case.

First it was far away from my capital. Very likely that I will get peace before something bad happens.
Second I already knew that I would have more units than usual soon, because I had no settler factory, but a productive capital and not much else to produce.
Third it was just too tempting. A conscript warrior and by that a good chance for some badly needed slaves.

At that time the warrior was my only military. But the capital was just completing barracks. I expected to be able to build enough before Zulus would show up, if necessary.

Part 1 - above in this thread

All was said in the first post. The last period was just building many cities and cultural improvements in them. I did not stop the research and aimed at Replaceable parts needed for Civil engineers who made the most of the building in totally corupt cities.

I acumulated enough in 1774 AD

Then the game crashed on mising text in pediaicons.txt

I had to reload from autosave and try again with edited pediaicons.txt. (I have used the files from another civ to allow me to save the game).
I am not sure if everything was OK though as I got following report:
Entry class: open
Game status: Cultural 20k Victory for Austria
Game date: 1774 AD
Firaxis score: 5416
Jason score: 8267
Time played: 27:56:17

But I have achieved 100K (or more exactly 80 K) victory :confused:

Nevertheless, I must say I liked the map as it presented an interesting change from building 4 turn settler factories in most past games.

The software that scans your file during upload reads the fact that it was a cultural victory, but has to work out whether you achieved a 20k or 100k victory by looking at your culture value. Problem is that it looks for 100k across the civ and if you havn't reached 100k it just assumes its a 20k rather than scouring your file for a city with 20k. I'll have to modify it to use a different threshold for non-standard C3C maps. we'll adjust the score accordingly.

hmmm when is this one due by?

I wasn't going to bother submitting. I am getting bored with owning the starting continent and am too lazy to attack the other continent yet because I would like to do it with the Hussars.

It was certainly a map where attacking aggressively (and having the units to do so especially with the high level of barbs) early paid off. At one point after I had taken out Russia and Zululand there were 100+ barbarians running around on the island. Thank goodness I had captured the great wall. I never realised before that if you own the great wall and a city is empty with no improvements that the barbarians will just rush it and disappear doing you no damage whatsoever. They usually take gold if you don't have the great wall, right?

The Greeks have taken over about 2/3 of the other island. The Mongols have the other third, and the Dutch are consigned to one of the small islands and a token city on my continent. I've been trying to leech techs off them. I'm at war with Greece and they have the Great Lighthouse in Amsterdam. :(

Maybe if the link for the 07 files isn't up by the time I have fixed myself some dinner I will play some more turns tonight and see if I start feeling more optimistic about finishing the game.

Dale BU said:
hmmm when is this one due by?
The countdown to the deadline for each open game is published on the submissions page. You have about 6 days.

Top Bottom