QSC-C2(e & r) Registration Thread

Just a reminder to all players who have registered for this game, that Gotm16-Rome has been released for everyone to play and this should help you all get that a bit further in the Gotm16 game before we get to point where we will start these two QSC games.

Here is the link to the Gotm16 game announcement page:

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/gotm16_rome.shtml

Also we have somewhere between 6 and 10 player positions still open in these two QSC games Even though the list looks long, you have to remember that I will divide you up into two different player pools of 8 to 12 players per pool, so each game wil lstill seem fairly small and cozy even though we will be collecting lots of parallel data.

Good luck to you all,

cracker

Cracker,

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying those of us who are going to be playing in the QSC c2 should now download the starting position of GOTM 16?

Do you mean for us to play this a bit before the QSC game begins?

Will the starting position for each game be the same? (that is - QSC and GOTM16?)

I think I have misunderstood you because it seems in the last QSC we all started at the same time.

stwils

@stwils: I think crackers post was to inform players that GOTM16 is out and he is encouraging players to complete QSC16 and get a good jump on the GOTM before overcommitting and playing QSC - C2 and GOTM 16 at the same time.

QSC16 has nothing to do with this SG but cracker, I think, would like to see all players who wish to submit QSC16 to do so before this game starts.

Hotrod

If you don't want to play 16 then you don't have to download it. Unless I am way wrong here Gotm or QSC16 are not required to be apart of QSC-C2

Hotrod :)

I'll do it, My Rome QSC is already finished, just have to write it up, fix the screenshots and submit.

Hotrod has the process figured out pretty well.

This game will crank up on the 10th of February so you need to plan ahead and get Qsc16 and Gotm16-Rome pretty much out of the way before then so you do not end up over committed.

The intent of these two games will be to test the setup of the Civ3 equivalent version to PTW and a civilization that will paly with exactly the same characteristics as Carthage. This same civilization setup will be used in the Civ3v1.29 option for the Gotm17 game that will be available to play on March 1st.

Actually I started writing up a QSC timeline for GOTM16, then got distracted (ie. received orders from girlfriend), then played on well past 1000BC, completely forgetting to save the game and complete the timeline...

Oh well, such is life. I'll wait until she has to go to one of her evening work-related meetings before I attempt any QSC-2 sessions...

Originally posted by cracker:
The intent of these two games will be to test the setup of the Civ3 equivalent version to PTW and a civilization that will paly with exactly the same characteristics as Carthage. This same civilization setup will be used in the Civ3v1.29 option for the Gotm17 game that will be available to play on March 1st.

Hmmm... it will be interesting seeing how this works, as far as the barbarian AI, upgradeability of swordsmen, and how AI trade/diplomacy works. The Numidian mercenary can be easily duplicated by adding a unit file to Civ3, but most other subtle modifications in PTW will be difficult to duplicate in Civ3. After we've gone through this QSC process, if those on the GOTM team involved in working on the programming wouldn't mind, I for one would like to see how it was done. However, I understand if it would be too much work running effectively 2 QSCs and 1 GOTM at the same time to report on the programming.

I am interested in playing though it would be my first succession type game.

First let me apologize for being slow to get this uploaded so that you can all get started.

There is a great deal of information to go with starting this game so forgive me for its length and please be patient as we get started over the next two days.

I will open two different threads for game progress reports and these will correspond to the groups listed later in this setup info.

First let's cover the game details:

The setup for these two games is identical in every aspect except for difficulty.

The format for the QSC game will emphasize the early part of the game, but this game file has been configured to replicate the implementation of a number of details that are included in the Play the World expansion pack.

We will provide you with more details of the features that effect play in the last two ages of the game when you have completed play of the QSC turns. Initially you should know that:

Outposts are disabled for all civilizations
The upgrade path for warriors beyond swordsmen is disabled
The upgrade path for archers beyond longbowmen is disabled
The units on these two upgrade paths in PTW (the Mace and Rambo units) are disabled for all civilizations.
The added city improvements of: The Stock Exchange, Civil Defense, and Port-of-Entry have been included in the game along with the Internet great wonder and the relocated Wall Street. The Civilopedia entries for these features have not been updated to reflect their true attributes as these will be provided to you at a later date.
Barbarian tribes have the ability to have workers that you can capture and put to work expanding the glory of your empire.

neoCarthage is the only equivalent civilization to a PTW civ that is included in the game. Carthage used a number of hired mercenaries to provide military forces to expand their influence during their period as an ancient world power. Your unit in this game is the Spartan Mercenary much like the Numidian Mercenary and hired Iberian Spearmen who may have been used by Carthage in other conflicts. The stats and characteristics for your Spartans are identical to the Numidians and can be accessed within the Civilopedia of your game.

This game setup does not include all the special features that will be included in the Gotm17 game that will be opened for play on March 1st. All the features of neoCarthage that effect how the civilization will play are set as they will be in the Gotm17 game.

neoCarthage is Commercial and Industrious to match the characteristics set in PTW for her namesake. The Warrior Princess Hannabaline, half sister to Hannibal and Mago, is your Queen and your leader and to conserve graphics space there is a very strong rumor that she is descended from similar genetic stock that will later give rise to well known French maid.

The game settings for your games include:
Scope of the Game:
• Civilization: neoCarthage
• Difficulty: Emperor –or- Regent (please play in your designated group)
• World size: 3200 tiles (Standard 80x80)
• Landmass: Continents 70% water
• Geology: old (5 billion)
• Environment: temperate, normal
• Barbarians: Roaming, watch for barbarian workers
• Rivals: 7 Preset (no added bonuses)

You may read more about what the scope of the game statement may mean by using the GOTM page on that subject at:

http:\\gotm.civfanatics.net\games\scope_of_game.shtml

The progress of the game will be in blocks of 10 turns per block and you need to make sure you save a file at the end of each 10 turn block. These saves should be at the end of your turn before you hit enter to progress to the letting the AI move and then progress to the next year.

There will be 4 rounds of play with 3 blocks of turns in each round.

The target save dates for the files that we ask you to upload for data analysis will be:

3550 BC (turn 10)
3050 BC (turn 20)
2590 BC (turn 30)
------ First reports with timelines and save file uploads by Thursday February 13th
2190 BC (turn 40)
1790 BC (turn 50)
1525 BC (turn 60)
------ Second reports with timelines and save file uploads by Sunday February 16th
1275 BC (turn 70)
1025 BC (turn 80)
775 BC (turn 90)
------ Third reports with timelines and save file uploads by Wednesday February 19th
570 BC (turn 100)
370 BC (turn 110)
170 BC (turn 120)
------ Fourth reports with timelines and save file uploads by Sunday February 23rd

When you are ready to upload save files, please make sure that they are named in the format of: nnnnnnnn_QSC_C2x_bcyyyy.sav

Where nnnnnnn is your player name
x is either e for emperor or r for regent
yyyy is the year number

This will make sure that all the uploaded files look similar but are unique.

The player pool for this QSC is divided into two groups and each group has its own progress report thread. A challenging aspect of this QSC type format is for each player to play your own game and to try and not let the things that your see from other players influence or distort your decision making. In reality this is virtually impossible but we still as you to try and stay on track with the strategy that you choose and the things you can see in your own specific game. To help this process along, try not to visit the game progress thread for the other half of the player pool until the moderator indicates that is OK in your half of the progress thread. Depending on how the two groups progress, we will merge the discussions very quickly to let everyone compare and comment of the differences in progress.

The two player groups are in a sort of informal competition against each other to see which group can get further towards building a civilization that will support the objective of a DOMINATION victory in the allotted 120 turns QSC period. In this respect, territory, population, and militray power will play a significant role in your scoring progress. We will adjust the difficulty weighted QSC factors of technology costs to equalize the two groups, but all other point factors should be equivalent.

To setup and play the game you must first download and install the Spartan Hoplite unit folder. You can download this folder in the exact form that you will require to play the game by clicking on the link below:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/Spartan_Hoplite.zip

you can also view the sample animation and original description of this unit at:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=608842#post608842

Once you have the zip folder containing your Unique Unit, you should open the zip folder and find a single folder inside named “Spartan Hoplite”. Cut and paste this entire folder into your /Civilization III/Art/units/ folder and you should be immediately ready to play the game.

The two player groups have been divided up to provide a little diversity without totally disregarding you play experience. Please play in your group and you will be rewarded with honor and glory plus an experience of immeasurable worth. The rules allow you to switch and continue play from the ending save file of any other player in your group but we will ask that you hold off on this decision at least for the first 60 turns if at all possible.

The Two Player Groups are: QSC-C2e (where e is for emperor)
Charis
Hotrod
Justus II
Borealis
Meldor
Arizona Steve
Swiftsure
Karasu
Flexo
drewshark
Emperor Game Progress Thread

QSC-C2r (where r is for regent)
Skyfish
Stwils
Zagnut
Takeo
McDan
Ronald
Zenga
Nightfang
PattonTwo
Singularity
Regent Game Progress Thread

If you proceed to your respective game progress thread, you will find the link to download the correct starting save game file for your group.

I was wondering if it's possible to play the QSC-C2 map with play the world using the actual cartheginians?

I'm asking this because I just got PTW and figured I should practice a bit before trying a GOTM with it. Playing this map would allow a comparison with all the timelines being generated in the Vanilla civ version.

It seems like it would be good for comparisons and would give some advanced notice if comparisons in GOTM17 will suffer?

Of course, I would need to finish GOTM16 to try this, but maybe some other players would take advantage of this. Just thought it might be of some use.

Nope! note possible as configured. There are some hidden issues in PTW that make existing game files incompatible without intervention.

You can feel free to shadow QSC-C2 in Civ3v1.29 as it will give you some additional insight.

Top Bottom