How do I tell a city's religion?

Genghis_Sean

High School English teacher
Isn't there supposed to be a religious icon visible somewhere? How about the number of believers in a city? I can't even tell if my own cities have adopted the religion yet.

Hover over the city name and it will tell you # of followers of each religion in the city. If the city has a majority of citizens in one religion that religion's icon will be displayed on the city banner.

Hover over the city name and it will tell you # of followers of each religion in the city. If the city has a majority of citizens in one religion that religion's icon will be displayed on the city banner.

That's not working for me. Are you talking about from the game screen or the city screen? I do note that if I hover over the word faith on the left side of the city screen where it shows how much is generated that it tells me how many believers I have and how many of other religions. Is there any way to tell for opponent cities since I can't access their city screens?

Game screen. Should be able to do it on any city that's visible.

Game screen. Should be able to do it on any city that's visible.

Definitely not working for me unless I'm doing something wrong. How can you mess up hovering over the city name, though? When I do my capital, for instance, it tells me:

The Siamese City of Sukohthai
Improvement: Road, Trade Route
Terrain: Desert, River
Output: 4F, 1H, 8G
Fresh Water

It's my Holy City and 10/12 citizens are my religion, but none of that shows up from hovering over it. I can only see that by hovering over Faith in the city screen.

That's not working for me. Are you talking about from the game screen or the city screen? I do note that if I hover over the word faith on the left side of the city screen where it shows how much is generated that it tells me how many believers I have and how many of other religions. Is there any way to tell for opponent cities since I can't access their city screens?

Are you on the strategic view? I can't see a way of getting that info either. You may need to shift back to standard.

Definitely not working for me unless I'm doing something wrong. How can you mess up hovering over the city name, though? When I do my capital, for instance, it tells me:

The Siamese City of Sukohthai
Improvement: Road, Trade Route
Terrain: Desert, River
Output: 4F, 1H, 8G
Fresh Water

It's my Holy City and 10/12 citizens are my religion, but none of that shows up from hovering over it. I can only see that by hovering over Faith in the city screen.

I'm at work, when I get home and if nobody beats me to it I'll get a screen shot.

If you are using strategic view zone in some. It will increase the font size of the population number, you can see the religious icon and building/unit being produced by that city too.

Definitely not working for me unless I'm doing something wrong. How can you mess up hovering over the city name, though?

Not sure, here's what I see (hope these work as attachments):

And strategic view:

I know these don't show the pointer, but I am hovering over the banner in both cases, and the pointer is at top left of the box showing religion info.

Attachments

• Akkad_Religion.jpg
    Akkad_Religion.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,188
  • Akkad_Religion_strategic.jpg
    Akkad_Religion_strategic.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,229
I didn't realize you had to zoom in so far to get it to display. Thanks for the help. That's much easier.

You don't have to zoom in close to see the icon on the city screen. In fact look as this screenshot I used in the TSG40 after action report.
Spoiler :

This is zoomed way out to see all four of my cities and the 2 CSs near my borders. As you can clearly see, they all have the same religion's icon.

To see the details of how many citizens are following that religion and if any are following a different religion, you just need to put the mouse over the icon until the tool-tip appears. I forget how many seconds the tool-tips are set to by default, because I changed that setting to 0 a long time ago.

Not sure why, but on my cpu if I pull out even two clicks (ten visible hexes wide), the religion icon disappears. Not very practical for me to have to zoom so far in to see a city's religion because nobody plays the game that close.

I'd recommend trying to rebuild the game's cache, as it seems to be... bugged? I've never had something like that happened.

No idea what that means or how to do it.

Right click Civ V in Library, select "Properties," go to the "Local Files" tab and then "Verify Integrity of Game Cache." Would it fix this problem? I don't know, but it's always worth trying. Religion should display as shown in the screenshots above.

Right click Civ V in Library, select "Properties," go to the "Local Files" tab and then "Verify Integrity of Game Cache." Would it fix this problem? I don't know, but it's always worth trying. Religion should display as shown in the screenshots above.

Right clicking on Civ 5 folder and selecting Properties leads to four tabs:

General
Sharing
Security
Previous Versions

I don't see a "Local Files" tab

Not sure why, but on my cpu if I pull out even two clicks (ten visible hexes wide), the religion icon disappears. Not very practical for me to have to zoom so far in to see a city's religion because nobody plays the game that close.

Same thing is true for me. I'm running it at 1440x900 resolution on a Mac. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Top Bottom