Red Planet (Mod/Scenario)

Leobon

I'm a Townaedo!
I usually make scenarios and mods for myself in private to give myself something to do but I figured I'd see if anyone would be interested in a Mars Mod/Scenario (I can't tell if my borrowed concept idea is an actual mod or just an altered scenario). Unfortunately I didn't keep a record of which people made which units I am planning on initially using, but the original abandoned Mars Mod project unit thread made me want to work on such a project. I suppose I was a little bored playing the World scenario I made.

This description is detailed and long so people can get an idea of what I'm thinking.

Red Planet uses a Mars map (by who I forgot, although if you were to look through pages of the map subforum it can be found) with Mars terrain (again, I don't recall who made the terrain), and features 16 total factions: 15 human and 1 mechanical. I considered revamping the tech tree wholly, as well as units, but I thought due to the "background nature" of the scenario it would be best to keep the general tech tree structure, rename them as much more modernized, modernize units both in name and appearance, modernize resources, change around governments (as well as add "Fundamentalism"), and change everything else accordingly to fit the general theme.

The scenario takes place perhaps half a century since a machine rebellion (which occurred roughly around the year 2150 CE) on Mars took place. Yes, yes, I know, the subject has been beaten around constantly, but bear with me. The machines, used as slave laborers by the Mars Conglomerate, fought for their independence and settled an island on Mars (Mars has been terraformed enough to allow gradual natural exposure to the environment by humans, and has running water) to isolate themselves from humanity. Around this time the first true colonies (excluding the Conglomerate) were established by the major powers of the world. Human laborers for the Conglomerate rebel for much the same reasons the Synthetics once did, and the United Nations makes landfall to establish a peacekeeping presence on Mars. However, regular communications with Earth's authorities end suddenly, and as the colonists on Mars realize it's due to communications grids across Earth being simultaneously destroyed, they also realize the end of a Third World War is upon them as nuclear fall-out on Earth itself is visible. While the UN on Mars tries to keep the factions calm, because no one knows who started it, the human need to seek revenge, or to safeguard against the unknown, is too hard to ignore.

What I have finished so far is the basic structure. I lack adequate Civilopedia entries besides skeleton entries, many of the units I've found on this site lack some sound clips or full movement files (had to use "default" on occasion), and I haven't worked on unit pictures, such as "small" or "large", leaderheads, modifying Diplomacy files, etc. I have finished resources and the things I mentioned previously, but it's mostly incomplete, obviously.

I'd like to get the scenario working first before I worry about unit pictures and actual Civilopedia entries.

Governments

Anarchy
Martial Law (almost exactly like Despotism)
Dictatorship (Monarchy-like)
Communism
Corporation (Dictatorship with less unit support but increased commerce)
Democracy
Totalitarianism (almost exactly like Fascism)
Unity (highly efficient as one would expect from logical machines, although since the Syntheics have no need for trade and thus no need for currency, overwork/forced labor is needed to hurry production)
Fundamentalism (similar to Dictatorship but with a scientific cap limit to be decided on, as well as forced labor)

Factions

United Nations
-Scientific
-Agricultural
Preferred Government: Democracy
Unique Building: - Corruption (Forum)
Unique Units: [Peacekeeper, which will upgrade to Peacekeeper II, etc, to give it extra defense but not much, for every era]

The UN by the 22nd century has grown largely inert and ineffective, unable to stop the Soviet and Eastern Coalition take-overs, but still plays an active role in peacekeeping roles in areas agreeing to allow their presence.

Mars Conglomerate
-Industrious
-Commercial
Preferred Government: Corporation
Unique Building: +50% Tax (Corporation)
Unique Unit: [Laborer, to replace a worker; will have increased movement and ability. Prospector, to replace the settler; will cost more than a regular settler]

The Conglomerate is a union between various unrelated sectors of business across Mars originally coming to the Red Planet to extract resources for use back home, or to develop land for agricultural production. The Conglomerate's society is heavily stratified, with jobs mostly being inherited due to social immobility. This faction is somewhat styled after the Alpha Centauri "Morgan Industries" faction. In addition, the Conglomerate's other unique unit, the Prospector, is designed to cost more than regular Settlers, to slow the Conglomerate's rate of expansion.

United States
-Militaristic
-Scientific
Unique Building: +33% Defense (Reinforced Dome)
Unique Units: [Undecided]

Not a whole lot has fundamentally changed with the US in my scenario besides having lost a lot of influence throughout the world and entering another "Cold War" of sorts with other hostile powers.

Soviet Federation
-Militaristic
-Agricultural
Preferred Government: Communism
Unique Building: -1 Culture, -1 Happiness, +25% Production (Labor Camp)

Russian Federation of today grows more and more authoritarian and nostalgic of the Soviet years (something happening right now as I type), and ends up, after reverting, absorbing its former Soviet republics in Central Asia and the Caucasus, as well as absorbing Serbia, Moldava, Ukraine and Belarus, the latter two being immensely strategically important to Russia at the present time.

Eastern Coalition
-Militaristic
-Industrious
Preferred Government: Totalitarianism
Unique Building: -1 Culture, -1 Happiness, +25% Production (Labor Camp)

China grows more and more totalitarian to combat a growing sense of resentment of an oppressive government and calls for democratic reform, eventually growing beyond Maoist Communism into outright totalitarianism, absorbing Mongolia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and the Korean peninsula, the latter being formerly re-united after the collapse of the North Korean regime.

European Union
-Scientific
-Agricultural
Unique Building: +50% Research (Science Station)

The EU by now includes virtually all of non-Soviet Europe and Turkey, excluding the UK which broke away to retain full sovereignty.

Japan
-Industrious
-Commercial

Although not permitted to maintain much of a military, the post-war situation has changed that policy.

Brazil
-Industrious
-Religious

Although in our day is not quite fully developed, it has become, in this era, an economic powerhouse.

India
-Religious
-Commercial

With thousands of millions of citizens, India in the Red Planet era has developed into a superpower, although without strong influence outside its region.

Islamic Union
-Scientific
-Religious
Preferred Government: Fundamentalism
Unique Building: +5 Culture (Mosque)

A union of pan-Arab/Islamic-dominated nations from western North Africa to Pakistan, the Islamic world by now, although still hostile to Israel due to a long history stretching over a thousand years, has largely settled differences between its member states and united after a long process of cultural reformation. Although largely pseudo-theocratic, Islam in the Red Planet era is more liberalized than today, although the news of the Earth's total devastation may spark a reversion in Islamic society.

Israel
-Militaristic
-Religious
Unique Units: [Two Merkava tanks; one Early-era and one later]

Faced with a united Islamic world, open hostilities are largely over but Israel has been isolated diplomatically from most of its neighbors and has economically suffered as a result.

United Kingdom
-Scientific
-Commercial

The UK broke away from the EU over resentment due to gradual loss of national sovereignty.

South Africa
-Scientific
-Agricultural
Unique Units: [Undecided, most likely scout/explorer units]

Although South Africa today is a confused society with an ever-growing AIDs epidemic, by 150 years it will include other nations in southern Africa to become a greater continental power than ever before.

Oceania
-Scientific
-Commercial

A union between Australia and New Zealand; Oceania refers to that region.

Synthetic Union
-Industrious
-Scientific
Preferred Government: Unity
Unique Building: +25% Production (Assembly)

After achieving independence and isolation, the Synthetic society has evolved into a collective of sorts, speaking through Unity, a physical manifestation of the collective will of all individual Synthetics. Synthetic society is inherently based on logic and reason and their behavior, and culture, reflects that aspect of their ever-adaptive and ever-evolving programming. I think I got "Synthetic Union" from Master of Orion 3, although I can't be sure.

The Resistance
-Militaristic
-Industrious
Preferred Government: Dictatorship
Unique Unit(s): [Early-era offensive infantry units]

The Resistance is a direct result of the Conglomerate's adaption to the Synthetic rebellion: use humans. Many laborers for the Conglomerate were and are "criminals" (the Conglomerate has virtually no political freedoms and its entire society is run like a business without any real checks or balances) or poor humans unable to gain the jobs unofficially allocated to the children of the better-off, and virtually being born into the same job each generation; sons of mechanics becoming mechanics. The Resistance is styled as a total-war society bent on victory over the Conglomerate. I have not set them to a locked war so as to keep the scenario being largely free for everyone to choose as they want, but both sides are very close and hard to avoid. Its preferred government is Dictatorship, even though its society is officially trying to end oppression, because Dictatorship enables the militarized society to focus on total victory, and will of course end the Dictatorship after the war...

Top Bottom