Alternate History Thread V

Also, something about personal irritation of the Ottomans still ending up in control of Anatolia and the Balkans despite the PoD predating their existence.

I suppose that was a bit of a long-shot, but on the other hand, so would have been removing them from existence with nothing more than a butterfly effect.

Did the Black Death occur, then? The Kantakouzenos-Palaiologos civil wars, and the earthquake at Gelibolu?

Sure!

The islands of Hawaii are discovered.

Err... Why? And how? I suppose it's not impossible for Chinese ships to reach Hawaii if they had purposefully headed east, but why on Earth would they do that?

Zheng He returns to Hawaii to find much of the population wiped out by small pox

Actually, did the Polynesians have the same gaps in their immunity system as the native Americans? I'm honestly not sure, but I somewhat doubt it.

When Zhu Di hears that the Incan Emperor claims to be a living god, a son of the sun, he is furious.

Why would he care about this any more than about, say, any Hindu monarch that might claim to be an avatar of someone or other? The Son of Heaven wouldn't really be concerned much with silly foreign superstitions; it's the Chinese sects and impostors that Emperors generally tried to destroy or control. At most he might want to demand obeisance, which incidentally he would probably receive.

The Spanish Empire was largely held together by Italian credit, German manpower, and Dutch industry. So if you could find a way to keep the Dutch provinces part of the Empire, or keep a firmer hold on Italy, that might do it. On the other hand, it might be better if you could turn the Spanish into a nation-state on its own terms, instead of relying on foreign assistance. That would require somehow removing the infamous Spanish sectionalism, however... and I don't really see a way to do that short of a PoD as early as the 700s.

I'd like to do just that, but excuse my ignorance, exacting what is the Spanish sectionalism you are referring to. I know they have a bunch of ethnic groups, but I didnt know it played a major role before the 20th century.

I suppose that was a bit of a long-shot, but on the other hand, so would have been removing them from existence with nothing more than a butterfly effect.
Tantamount to determinism! :mad: :p
das said:
:huh: So is the PoD thirteenth century or later?

Err... Why? And how? I suppose it's not impossible for Chinese ships to reach Hawaii if they had purposefully headed east, but why on Earth would they do that?

I think that a major reason for Zhu Di's cautious approach to how far the treasure fleet would go, and indeed where it would go, is attributed toward the fact that he was paranoid about Zhu Yunwen's very suspicious death. As I stated before the PoD removes that suspicion by having Zhu Yunwen's corpse readily identifiable. Hence without that thought pressing on his mind he reached out more in terms of exploration as well as securing and widening the reach of Chinese maritime trade.

It is true that the main purpose of the treasure fleet was to refill the imperial coffers after the very costly civil war, but as I said before, Zhu Yunwen's death limited the full potential and scope that the treasure fleet could have potentially achieved. Obviously I can't say for certain whether it would have happened or not because Zhu Yunwen WAS burnt beyond recognition and hence one cannot know if Zhu Di would have ordered exploration or not.

That being said the motives behind this exploration would have been for trade.
Actually, did the Polynesians have the same gaps in their immunity system as the native Americans? I'm honestly not sure, but I somewhat doubt it.

I'm pretty sure they did but I'm not 100% sure. I remember reading some where that they did indeed have the same lack of immunities as the native Americans. I'm going to do a bit of research to figure that out, mostly involving wikipedia.
Why would he care about this any more than about, say, any Hindu monarch that might claim to be an avatar of someone or other? The Son of Heaven wouldn't really be concerned much with silly foreign superstitions; it's the Chinese sects and impostors that Emperors generally tried to destroy or control. At most he might want to demand obeisance, which incidentally he would probably receive.

I attribute this to the rather temperamental nature of Zhu Di (who was much less crazy than Zhu Yunwen and his father before him). Most of his rage however would have stemmed from the fact that the Inca emperor had purposefully insulted Zheng He, and hence by extension Zhu Di himself, and would have proceeded to "throw" Zheng He out of his sight.

I myself am skeptical as to whether Zhu Di would react in such a way since for the most part he was very level headed and more interested in trade than in any sort of conquering and colonization. However there was significant interest apparently, in Africa at this time. Zhu Di's son (who's name escapes me right now) may have been more inclined to react violently (although he was more isolationist than Zhu Di and called the treasure fleet back I believe).

As I said before this is a very rough time-line and it is missing quite a bit of information, in particular reasons for why what happened, happened. More questions are comments are welcome as they have already helped me sort out some grey areas in my TL, so thanks das =D

@Dachs whats wrong with determinism :rolleyes:

The purpose of the Treasure Fleet, as I understood it, was mostly prestige, the Chinese believed that anything in importance was already in China, so beyond tribute there wasn't much incentive for foreign commerce.

The purpose of the Treasure Fleet, as I understood it, was mostly prestige, the Chinese believed that anything in importance was already in China, so beyond tribute there wasn't much incentive for foreign commerce.

Horrible, horrible way of thinking they had. Perhaps you should find a way to fix this way of thinking Kenth.

I had thought of this, however the major reason was to replenish the imperial coffers. You could have said this is true if there had only been one voyage of the treasure fleet. Or that one of the tertiary purposes of the treasure fleet was to spread word of Zhu Di's ascension to the Dragon Throne, and make sure that everyone paid tribute as a way of legitimizing his rebellion. Indeed this was a tertiary purpose of the Treasure Fleet, but it was not the driving force behind it, which instead (I believe) was more practical in that they needed money. However with all persons of interest informed about the ascension to the Dragon Throne as well as thoroughly noted of China's superiority over everyone, why bother doing it more than once.

Hence you could say a motive of the Treasure Fleet was prestige, but it was not the purpose.

@Dachs:- Was being sarcastic >.>

Diseases died out amongst Polynesians as they traveled westwards, though IIRC they may have been slightly less genetically vulnerable.

I'd like to do just that, but excuse my ignorance, exacting what is the Spanish sectionalism you are referring to. I know they have a bunch of ethnic groups, but I didnt know it played a major role before the 20th century.

It goes a little bit deeper than that. You hear a lot of quotes about people from the United States referring to themselves as being from individual states (the United States are before the Civil War, whereas it is now)... the Spanish sectionalism is even more pronounced.

You have Castile, Aragon, Cantabria, Granada, Andalusia, Leon, Asturias, and that's without even mentioning the Basques, Catalonia, and the Balearic Islands. Obviously those latter three dominate the media (the Basques especially because of the violence and complete difference in ethnicity, language, and culture), but all of them have their own regional accents, foods, simmering rivalries with other parts... It's a bunch of separate medieval kingdoms that united politically but never culturally; they're all more related to each other than the surrounding lands, but not by a huge margin.

You take France, to a large degree it's been politically unified since the 600s (except for Brittany and occasionally Normandy or Aquitaine; hence the somewhat stronger regionalism there). Britain's got Wales and Scotland, but there's no question of who's dominant there. Italy and Germany were mostly divided by city, not region. Spain, unlike all of these, has had jostling kingdoms since Rome fell, and were united by bits and pieces, with a couple of bloody civil wars.

Tantamount to determinism! :mad: :p

You know, there's a difference between being deterministic and being sensible. Sure, it's more realistic to have every single monarch, statesman, artist, composer, writer, and so on be different due to butterfly effects (And that's actually a maybe; our sample of alternate universes is one. Perhaps randomness doesn't work how you suppose it does.), but if they have the same function in your alternate universe, then I don't really see how renaming Newton is going to do much more than confuse the hell out of people.

I can't say for all of Polynesia but the more isolated parts in the South close to New Zealand did.(close as far as Polynesia goes anyways)

I know that Australia faced the same immunity problems as the native americans, I believe the people of New Guinea did as well. Considering how isolated the Hawaii islands are from... everything, it should be safe to assume that they suffered the same lack of immunities.

Visitors introduced diseases to the formerly isolated islands, and the Hawaiian population plunged precipitously. Native Hawaiians did not have resistance to influenza, smallpox, and measles, among others. During the 1850s, measles killed a fifth of Hawaii's people

According to wikipedia they did not have said immunities.

You know, there's a difference between being deterministic and being sensible. Sure, it's more realistic to have every single monarch, statesman, artist, composer, writer, and so on be different due to butterfly effects (And that's actually a maybe; our sample of alternate universes is one. Perhaps randomness doesn't work how you suppose it does.), but if they have the same function in your alternate universe, then I don't really see how renaming Newton is going to do much more than confuse the hell out of people.
Yes, and there's a difference between renaming Newton and having the outcome of the 14th century struggle for dominance in Anatolia among the Turkish successor emirates to the Seljuq state, with the Crusaders and the Byzantines repeatedly intervening go EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as in OTL when there were several other, stronger candidates for leadership among the Turkish states alone, never mind the neighbors both East and West.

And? You have a different Turkish state rise; if it goes a very similar way as the Ottomans and unites Anatolia and expands into the Balkans, then calling them Teke or Karaman or Kastamanou or whatever doesn't seem productive in any way. Especially on a Guess-the-PoD map where putting in an unnecessary number of butterfly effects just obscures the original PoD and makes the exercise pointless. Maybe das doesn't want us to focus so much on the Turks, as we would if they were named anything BUT Ottomans. I realize you have a personal grudge against the Ottomans (probably the same way I had one against Spain for a long time), but this is just a little bit silly.

No one's playing particularly mean. :confused:

And if I am, it's certainly not meant to come off that way.

Kentharu said:
I know that Australia faced the same immunity problems as the native americans, I believe the people of New Guinea did as well. Considering how isolated the Hawaii islands are from... everything, it should be safe to assume that they suffered the same lack of immunities.

Melanesians =/ Polynesians =/ Aboriginals. Also, the second wave of Polynesian settlers arrived into Hawaii from French Polynesia... in the 11th century.

And? You have a different Turkish state rise; if it goes a very similar way as the Ottomans and unites Anatolia and expands into the Balkans, then calling them Teke or Karaman or Kastamanou or whatever doesn't seem productive in any way.
Why not?
North King said:
Especially on a Guess-the-PoD map where putting in an unnecessary number of butterfly effects just obscures the original PoD and makes the exercise pointless.
How many is unnecessary? Unnecessary for what purpose?
North King said:
Maybe das doesn't want us to focus so much on the Turks, as we would if they were named anything BUT Ottomans.
That doesn't follow at all. The only thing anybody could glean from an Anatolian Turkish state being named something other than the Ottomans is a PoD before, say, 1340. As such, it would be a constructive method to help date the PoD - which, I might add, has not yet been done, and das certainly hasn't confirmed things one way or the other.
North King said:
I realize you have a personal grudge against the Ottomans (probably the same way I had one against Spain for a long time), but this is just a little bit silly.
I'm disappointed that you hold me in such low esteem to think that I'm a racist, but I suppose given our utter lack of mutual communication in the last few years it's not really surprising that you're relying on your old biases.

All this fighting is tearing us apart!

Did the PoD affect the way Castile and Aragon unified, resulting in a less stable personal union or different set of rulers, or were the effects felt after the unification?

Oh, look, Das is so amazing that he'd already answered my question.

They don't, but that's a very distant consequence/butterfly effect.

(And actually, they do unite, if under rather different circumstances; the union fell apart a few decades later, though)

So is the PoD thirteenth century or later?

Thirteenth century, but not within your area of expertise. ;) I am not really sure about that civil war in particular, but my point is that up to the mid-14th century or so, the overall history of the Byzantine Empire remained within the same (very) general course, though with many small and medium-sized accumulated changes and would-be divergences that were made null by chaotic power-struggles and later on by the rise of the Ottomans. After that things get diverged in a big way in that region as well.

I think that a major reason for Zhu Di's cautious approach to how far the treasure fleet would go, and indeed where it would go, is attributed toward the fact that he was paranoid about Zhu Yunwen's very suspicious death. As I stated before the PoD removes that suspicion by having Zhu Yunwen's corpse readily identifiable. Hence without that thought pressing on his mind he reached out more in terms of exploration as well as securing and widening the reach of Chinese maritime trade.

It is true that the main purpose of the treasure fleet was to refill the imperial coffers after the very costly civil war, but as I said before, Zhu Yunwen's death limited the full potential and scope that the treasure fleet could have potentially achieved. Obviously I can't say for certain whether it would have happened or not because Zhu Yunwen WAS burnt beyond recognition and hence one cannot know if Zhu Di would have ordered exploration or not.

That being said the motives behind this exploration would have been for trade.

That doesn't really answer my question. All the trade you could want is in the opposite direction. The Chinese were not, to my knowledge and with certain exceptions, particularly keen on exploration for its own sake, but there is always Africa or something to explore.

however the major reason was to replenish the imperial coffers.

If so, then that's pretty ironic considering the results. ;)

having the outcome of the 14th century struggle for dominance in Anatolia among the Turkish successor emirates to the Seljuq state, with the Crusaders and the Byzantines repeatedly intervening go EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as in OTL when there were several other, stronger candidates for leadership among the Turkish states alone, never mind the neighbors both East and West.

It seems to me, however, that the biggest stretch was having the Ottomans come into being and survive early on more or less the same as in OTL. I recognise that they had some good competitors, but I think they did have a fairly good starting position, and their victory was far from the least likely outcome. The struggle itself worked out rather differently; it's just that the ultimate outcome of the early-to-mid 14th century parts of it was similar to our own.

Let me put it this way: I could've eradicated the Ottomans on a whim (I considered doing this at first) and so created yet another red herring in addition to the many already in place. You are having a hard enough time solving this as it is - would you really have liked it if I added something that would give you a good reason to think that the PoD was one thing or another that happened to the Byzantine Empire? :p

Especially on a Guess-the-PoD map where putting in an unnecessary number of butterfly effects just obscures the original PoD and makes the exercise pointless.

Or in other words, this.

I'm disappointed that you hold me in such low esteem to think that I'm a racist

Pretty sure that's not what he meant.

Top Bottom