1000 things Civilization 5 has taught us

hewhoknowsall

Warlord
There seems to be a "playing too much", sometimes a "anticipating too much" and a "has taught us" 1000 things for each Civilization game.

1. The world is divided into hexagons.
2. An archer can shoot an arrow tens of kilometers.
3. Early cannons could match archers in range. However, modern tank cannons, despite having a longer barrel, advanced targeting systems and better ballistics, are shorter ranged than those early cannons.
4. The Battle of Constantinople and other famous sieges couldn't have happened; an archer and another unit can't both fit in a city!
5. Armies can replenish their numbers in enemy territory.
6. Contrary to what science says, apparently clouds are not formed by water vapor condensing; they're in places where people haven't discovered yet. Apparently at the dawn of civilization the sky was filled with clouds. Amazingly enough crops and plants somehow survived.
7. The great wall apparently has a magnetic or gravitational force field that slows down modern armor when they're inside the great wall's territory.
8. An "immortal" many miles away from home can somehow replenish its numbers twice as fast as usual.
9. Knights don't need iron.
10. Longbowmen outrange modern artillery.

Empires cannot change their paths..or government types. The social policies set by king tut are just as true today as they were thousands of years ago.

Empires cannot change their paths..or government types. The social policies set by king tut are just as true today as they were thousands of years ago.

God I hate this. Don't make me plan out my civ before I start the game. WTH were they thinking? This isn't World of Warcraft and we're not supposed to be speccing out our talent tree.

Small cities' boot camps take 30 years to train people to use guns, or hiring them off the street costs about 1/3 as much as building a stock exchange.

You can intentionally spawn henry ford but he'll die immediately (probably from an aneurysm) by building the eiffel tower in one year, by himself, with stuff off a cart.

Patton never made a tower, which is why he was fired.

Sending five guys half way across the world gives you instant and permanent telepathic communication with distant cultures, forever.

Am I doin it right?

After playing an 18 hour session, Civ V has taught me not to play it like Civ IV. My first game I played it like Civ IV and was completely lost. So I sat back and really thought about it, this is a whole new game and experience. I came to the realization that City States are your friends and allies, not the other civs. But I am enjoying this game and see my self playing it for years to come.

Large-scale war production drives never actually occurred, instead hiring of mercenaries persisted long into the modern era.

There seems to be a "playing too much", sometimes a "anticipating too much" and a "has taught us" 1000 things for each Civilization game.

1. The world is divided into hexagons.
2. An archer can shoot an arrow tens of kilometers.
3. Early cannons could match archers in range. However, modern tank cannons, despite having a longer barrel, advanced targeting systems and better ballistics, are shorter ranged than those early cannons.
4. The Battle of Constantinople and other famous sieges couldn't have happened; an archer and another unit can't both fit in a city!
5. Armies can replenish their numbers in enemy territory.
6. Contrary to what science says, apparently clouds are not formed by water vapor condensing; they're in places where people haven't discovered yet. Apparently at the dawn of civilization the sky was filled with clouds. Amazingly enough crops and plants somehow survived.
7. The great wall apparently has a magnetic or gravitational force field that slows down modern armor when they're inside the great wall's territory.
8. An "immortal" many miles away from home can somehow replenish its numbers twice as fast as usual.
9. Knights don't need iron.
10. Longbowmen outrange modern artillery.

It's taught us that people, apparently, confuse 10 and 1000 ;)

In order to get access to a resource, you just need to harvest/mine it. Transportation to your production centers is optional ( no roads needed ).

we were taught that Americans have been around since the beginning of civilization and is a nation consisting entirely of immigrants...

we were taught that Americans have been around since the beginning of civilization and is a nation consisting entirely of immigrants...

Indeed :) I´ts so obvious I didn´t realise :D

Since you put me on this train of thought:

I teaches us, that every major power of the wolrd is rulde by ONE leader. No matter if it´s a monarchy or demovracy, it´s ruled by a single, immortal beeing.

It taught me that Aztecs were able to make progress towards a civilization more Rational by sacrificing war prisoners.

It seems like the "playing too much", "anticipating too much", "has taught us", and other such topics are absolutely interchangeable.

Ex:
-You know you are playing Civ5 too much when you think the world is divided into hexagons.
-You know you anticipate Civ5 too much when you think the world is divided into hexagons.
-Civ5 has taught us that the world is divided into hexagons.

well it 'dont matter', but if it does 'sorry, blame it on me' because 'I cant wait' 'right now'

Civ 5 has taught us that ancient civilizations bought and paid for land. Before the invention of money.

Civ 5 has taught us that someone at the publishing company needed new braces for his kids and crapped out a cash cow.

Civ5 taught me that even before when the first civilizations formed a city, there has already been many city-states, and a mysterious ''major'' civilization (ie. not a city-state) that's long gone by the time you start your first city. By going through their ruins, you might even find sticks and leather armours which have been around for a long time and haven't decayed, so your warriors are able to put them on and gain a bonus to their attack...but then be beaten by brutes when facing them one on one... Which didn't happen when your now-spearman was a warrior.

Civ 5 taught me that you can successfully run a mine without building a road to it. I guess that's news to all the mining companies where I live.

Civ 5 confirmed my theory that maps.google.com is a made-up conspiracy, since satellites don't reveal the world map.

Civ5 taught me that WW2 probably consisted of about 100 units all up.

Civ5 has taught me that it's more profitable to write software quickly than software than runs quickly.

But that's OK, in a world without ethics, and where religion has been relegated to a single optional social policy tree...

Top Bottom