1000 reasons why you're disappointed

Not really disappointed that much. Just a few minor things: had hoped that it would run a bit better on my mid-end computer (Q6600 and 8800gt which isn't THAT bad), runs alright in DX9 but the graphics are quite bad and starts to lag after industrial. Also kind of disappointed with social policies. I like how they promote culture but meh, I prefered civics changing large parts of the game mechanics on the fly.

I am not dissapointed with the game as i think its approriate that its quite different to Civ 4, if i want a better civ4 then i'll use mods.

what hacks me off is that I have to wait for about 5 seconds between each turn, I have a mid range Alienware laptop that cost me well overa grand. Its shouldn't be this way, other games work fine. I actually feel a bit robbed.

what hacks me off is that I have to wait for about 5 seconds between each turn, I have a mid range Alienware laptop that cost me well overa grand. Its shouldn't be this way, other games work fine. I actually feel a bit robbed.

You can't be serious? If that wasn't designed to simply let people know you have a good computer then I'm just amazed you think that's an issue.

1. Crappy ugly graphics, that really detract from the game.

2. A clunky ugly UI that has been designed by a chimpanzee.

3. An AI that has been designed by a chimpanzee.

4. You have to click to get to a city production window, THEN click on the thing you want to build, unlike Civ 1-4 which opened a window automatically. Ditto for research. That's an awful lot of POINTLESS clicks in one game.

5. There's nothing really new about it, unlike Civs 2-4 which really had new features, eg. the added subtlety of Civ 3.

This whole thing reeks of Test of Time, the woeful expansion to Civ 2.

Sid Meier should be hanging his head in shame, but he's laughing his way to the bank.

Making production next to useless.

LOL, out of your 40+ posts, 90% of them are bashing Civ 5...

Your initial 5 or so posts were bashing Civ 4, the best of which went something along the lines of... "Civ 4 sucks, just see if I waste money/time on Civ 5".

Looks like the joke's on you :goodjob:

LOL, out of your 40+ posts, 90% of them are bashing Civ 5...

Your initial 5 or so posts were bashing Civ 4, the best of which went something along the lines of... "Civ 4 sucks, just see if I waste money/time on Civ 5".

Looks like the joke's on you :goodjob:

Those were technical problems, back in the days when I didn't understand what a good computer or coherent writing was. ;) Technical problems are far easier to fix than broken gameplay.

In retrospect, I should have held to my word and not bought Civ V. :D

- Production times too long
- Resource tile yields too low (in terms of food and production)
- Extremely irrational AI
- Step down in diplomacy system from Civ 4
- Social policies aren't bad, but there aren't any negatives to choices
- Very boring early game: until turns 100-150, all I feel like I'm doing is hitting "Next Turn"

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

"Imagine" would make a boring CIV game.

However, I've played the demo and was very impressed. It was never dull and I was just kind of autopiloting for a lot of the turns. Destroyed Bismark as Alexander, then I tried to take on Rome, but Ceasar teamed up with Egypt and they started to make progress against me as soon as I hit the turn cap.

The very antithesis of boring, and playing on low difficulty...

-CIV 1-4BTS veteran

- Production times too long
- Resource tile yields too low (in terms of food and production)
- Extremely irrational AI
- Step down in diplomacy system from Civ 4
- Social policies aren't bad, but there aren't any negatives to choices
- Very boring early game: until turns 100-150, all I feel like I'm doing is hitting "Next Turn"

Making choices in social policies ARE negatives. You cannot undo them. You are locked into the path they have set or you lose their bonuses.

I mean, really. Also, play on a higher level.

1)AI
2)system req.
3)lack of ingame videos(even Civ2 had them...this is lazy)
4)bugs
5)no religion

I have figured out why I am disappointed in Civ 5 and its because the Civ 5 world so to speak simply isn't very threatening to me.

I have played every Civ game to date and this is the first one that has made me feel this way. Those other games I felt a real threat from the rest of the world and I had to overcome that by building a great empire. Civ 5 seems to friendly.

Take barbarians for example. What? They captured our Settler? Oh dear gotta build another one now. Huh? I can get it back? Well how sweet, those barbarians sure are thoughtful. This should be a chance thing not just a capture every time and I know this is a hard concept in our "everyone is a winner" society.

A few other things I'll note:

Social policies have no negatives. Just pick one that suites your style and fire away.

No war wariness, no health to worry with, no pollution to deal with. Actually no real building to deal with other than military structures as gold is fairly easy to come by. I can buy tiles with gold so I don't need cultural buildings and if I do need other non military structures its easy with my enormous amounts of gold so I can just skip building them.

I don't feel like I have any challenges to overcome. Everything seems like its handed to me and it sucks. Why not just at the start of the game put a big green button in the middle of the screen that says "Click here to win"

One thing I really miss (from cIV vanilla) is the strategic element to tile improvement planning. Since a single improvement could make such a huge difference to output, there was a real decision to go for Mining or Agriculture; Fishing or Animal Husbandry etc. Not much perhaps, but it gave you something to do the first dozen turn other than move your Scout around.

Now advanced improvements give little more than the default farm, and it's not like you're in a rush to get your first resource, so early Worker management feels completely bland. No sense of actual improvement, like when you built your first Pig Pasture...

wow, agree 100 percent. the civilpedia reads like it was written by 13 year old lady gaga fans.

Maybe I being churlish, but being constantly told (both in the Civlopedia and the manual) that Ancient Ruins or Great People etc. are COOL, Bro! felt a bit silly...

I have figured out why I am disappointed in Civ 5 and its because the Civ 5 world so to speak simply isn't very threatening to me.

I have played every Civ game to date and this is the first one that has made me feel this way. Those other games I felt a real threat from the rest of the world and I had to overcome that by building a great empire. Civ 5 seems to friendly.

Take barbarians for example. What? They captured our Settler? Oh dear gotta build another one now. Huh? I can get it back? Well how sweet, those barbarians sure are thoughtful. This should be a chance thing not just a capture every time and I know this is a hard concept in our "everyone is a winner" society.

A few other things I'll note:

Social policies have no negatives. Just pick one that suites your style and fire away.

No war wariness, no health to worry with, no pollution to deal with. Actually no real building to deal with other than military structures as gold is fairly easy to come by. I can buy tiles with gold so I don't need cultural buildings and if I do need other non military structures its easy with my enormous amounts of gold so I can just skip building them.

I don't feel like I have any challenges to overcome. Everything seems like its handed to me and it sucks. Why not just at the start of the game put a big green button in the middle of the screen that says "Click here to win"
- Outlaw77

This.

Top Bottom