1000 reasons why you're disappointed

Maybe I being churlish, but being constantly told (both in the Civlopedia and the manual) that Ancient Ruins or Great People etc. are COOL, Bro! felt a bit silly...

I felt the same way reading that in the PDF manual. Just made me realize this is a game for kids now not adults. I guess kids are a bigger market or something.

- Social Policy Tree is stupid
- AI is terrible (both battle and diplomacy)
- Production takes too long
- Ugly, bland graphics (rivers and trading posts, nuff said)
- No religion (well we knew this for a long time, but still)

Agree 100% on this, the simply sucks big time. Im sad to the bone for this.
I will go back to Civ 4 and yes, Total War series rules, they have managed to stay alive and make things better and better. CIV 5 is a big :):):):) up, lets hope CIV 6 if any gets better.

Hello everyone. I havent been on these forums form a VERY long time. :)

I am disapointed because i can't play Civ5 for at least a week or so. I am so busy with work i don't want to buy it now, else i won't be able to stop myself from playing and i will miss my current project deadline.

Also if religion and random events are truly gone, i think i'd miss these too.

HF guys and see ya on september 30+, i hope we will have as much fun with forum activities with Civ5 as we did with Civ4. :)

Dont have to high hopes though, it sucks

I have already regressed back to Civ IV. I just dont overly enjoy this release for most of the reason hashed over 1,000,000x here... In addition, a few of the "positives" Im not that high on either.

I might give it another try down the road. At some point that will happen for sure. Ill give any expansions a try as well.

I bought the game on a disc and don't have Babylon. I guess it is too much to ask for, to get all the civs from the outset. The whole thing is absolutely ******ed. But the game is alot of fun, I am starting a huge map soon on a higher level to see how things run, but so far so good.

1. Crappy ugly graphics, that really detract from the game.

2. A clunky ugly UI that has been designed by a chimpanzee.

3. An AI that has been designed by a chimpanzee.

4. You have to click to get to a city production window, THEN click on the thing you want to build, unlike Civ 1-4 which opened a window automatically. Ditto for research. That's an awful lot of POINTLESS clicks in one game.

5. There's nothing really new about it, unlike Civs 2-4 which really had new features, eg. the added subtlety of Civ 3.

This whole thing reeks of Test of Time, the woeful expansion to Civ 2.

Sid Meier should be hanging his head in shame, but he's laughing his way to the bank.

1 yes, 2 yes, 3 yes, 4, yes, 5 yes, test of time "oh yes" and hanging in head in shame "hell yes".:mad:

Agree 100% on this, the simply sucks big time. Im sad to the bone for this.
I will go back to Civ 4 and yes, Total War series rules, they have managed to stay alive and make things better and better. CIV 5 is a big :):):):) up, lets hope CIV 6 if any gets better.

I will download and try free upgrades but Firaxis will never get another dollar from me for expansions or new games.:mad: Civ 2-4 does rule.

THERE ARE NO ANIMALS !

those were fun in Civ IV !!

Totally disappointed in Civ V:

this is my theory:

most of us who have experienced the evolution from Civ I - IV are now in our late 20s to early 40s!

Civ 5 is not a sequel designed to improve upon Civ I-IV but rather it is a complete re-branding to get our kids hooked on Sid ! Total start over !

Corporate jerks !

From what I have felt playing the demo the game has been sort strange and foreign. Its like i wasn't playing civilization anymore. Some changes in the game were necessary like hexes and citystates, but the designers shouldn't have gone so overboard with it. Trading posts suck, and the tech tree really shouldn't have been changed so much. Social policies are ok, but all that was needed was some changes to the civics system.

Maybe in time bug fixes will solve certain problems. I still think civilization should have remained independent from steam, too, because now we are going to have to suffer the age of DLC... which should never be part of a civ game.

This game lost its soul.

After literally counting down the days since the release date was announced I fired up Civ V (my favorite game of all time) and just sat there waiting for something to happen.

In the quest to make the game feel new, Firaxis wound up removing more than they added.

My guess is that they were trying to broaden the appeal of the game, but in this particular case I think they are going to wind up alienating more of their core population than they are going to attract in new gamers. Retail sales will tell the story, ultimately.

The whole point of Civ was to build something epic, and frankly, that required a fair amount of complex decision trees and strategy. That's what actually made the game most engaging. Removing all of those layers in the name of a streamlined UI and experience was just the wrong decision for a PC-based game, and particularly this franchise. Perhaps a console version, which is essentially what this is.

This happens quite a bit with sequels. Remember Empire Earth 3? If you do, you will remember how anticipated that game was. When it arrived, people fired it up and said “what the hell?”. It happens. Developers try to go a new direction and fail. Even Sid Meier can miss a shot on goal from time to time.

My only hope is that the community here can figure out how to mod the living hell out of the game to return it to its former glory. All I cared about was getting a multi-CPU version so late game wouldn’t test my patience more than my strategy on turns.

Sid, you are the greatest game developer in history. I've been in love with your games since I was up way too late playing Pirates! on my Commodore 64. Please don't let this happen again. We all love your stuff too much.

Some disappointments from civ V:

- AI is weak sauce. Weak enough to let you kill multiple civs with 4 units on emperor, which is supposedly a challenging difficulty, and attempts to make up for it on bonuses. Notice, however, that this is a pattern dating back to the original civ. In some ways, V's AI is less inexplicably terrible than IV's, ESPECIALLY than IV vanilla's.

- For god's sake, the bugs. I know it's hard, but it's a major pain that we've gone many many years without a civ game that lacks bugs. Civ IV 3.19 has glaring bugs that will apparently never be fixed...but now I can't even END A 10 TURN PEACE TREATY from turn 87 on turn 122? What? Were this the only one...but a quick glance in the bug report forum shows things lighting up.

- GUI: This is going to be like pulling hairs out one by one using teeny pieces of duct tape, isn't it? In civ IV, we had severe issues with stack selection and auto-move that were not patched. Ever. They're right there in 3.19. At the same time, V brings us unit movement capability lag, FORCED end turns if you put auto-end turn on (without any prompt whatsoever? Really? It makes that a non-option because it will literally skip ENTIRE TURNS w/o the user being able to interrupt it), unresponsive end turn mashing, etc.

- Similar to every former game in the series, balance is already an obvious issue :p. Even blizzard can't get it right these days, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a disappointment! Some of the civs have ridiculously strong uniques and/or leader abilities. I wonder who gets HoF banned first XD.

- RESOURCE HOG ALERT! Just like Civ IV. Civilization is a TURN BASED STRATEGY GAME. TBS. There are not actions going on every second. There is some need for graphical quality, but not to the extent of murdering gameplay. I'd have taken half the graphical quality for a more complete experience than "5 units sweeps a whole continent of advantaged AIs".

- Game length: While all civ games in the series are long, V is a particularly bad offender and much worse than previous entries in the series. I can play with everything but military on full auto, on standard speed, and it takes an hour to make any headway out of the BCs. Quick game speed is slower than I could have played marathon in the previous titles. This is a MAJOR issue, because it's going to screw up the multiplayer experience and detract from the game's playability in general.

And what contributes to slowing down the game? Pop-ups, things you can't disable, and the ever-annoying super resource hogging. Why does this game take more resources than high-end FPS or RTS games?

IMO the series has gotten away from what made it great: strategic depth and balanced gameplay options. These things are there in theory, just as they were in civ IV, but are getting covered by smoke and mirors of bugs, deficient AI, and bad user interface. The controls are CRITICAL, the should NEVER, EVER lag, do something other than what the input said, ignore commands for a few attempts, etc. Where are some of the unit control options that were modded into civ IV that helped make it convenient? Controls are a key part of any game, why can't this series ever get them right :sad:? I guess too many people play like frozen molasses and don't try to push the game's UI or hotkeys, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't work!

That said, I've had fun with what I've played of it, before running into some gamebreaker bug stuff. It's nowhere near a complete game as of release day, but it's probably ahead of civ IV (which had things like AI randomly picking UN resolutions, overflow bugging, similar total AI vulnerability unless bonus'd beyond belief, and virtually every expansion mechanic left untested).

Notice that I am not griping about gameplay concept changes. This game COULD have and MIGHT still be great, once the BUGS and CONTROL ISSUES and possibly the GAME PERFORMANCE ON STANDARD SETTINGS ALLOWED IN THE UN-MODDED game function as advertised. Please Please please.

I think I predicted a few weeks ago after seeing Greg's 2hr live demonstration that you were going to be disappointed by the game's extremely slow turn times.

Anyway, I can agree with you 100% about your ordering of the priorities. Playing the demo, I've already seen mouse clicks ignored for unit movement commands because a tile was momentarily redded out when it shouldn't have been. I shouldn't have to wait about a second for the game to work out the unit movement radius - that should be done on the order of tens of milliseconds or less.

My main complaint at the moment which mightn't be surprising given my obsession with the Zoom-To-Cursor feature is that ZTC doesn't work very well because as you use the scroll wheel to zoom in or out the camera keeps moving for at least a second or so (even a second and a half) after you stop physically scrolling the wheel. This essentially causes an annoying input lag. Imagine if the ordinary mouse pointer did that all the time - sliding slowly to a stop for about a second after you stop moving the mouse with your hand.

ZTC is meant to make moving around the map, zooming in and out more intuitive, efficient and fast. Building in this annoying camera-zoom lag eliminates at least 50% of the usefulness of the ZTC feature in the first place.

At least they got it right in strategic view, where scrolls of the mousewheel still will zoom to the cursor but have absolutely no camera lag.

There is a similar input lag associated with ordinary screen-edge scrolling as well. I'm sure it's just as annoying for the people who use that way to scroll around the map. :(

Anyway, with some luck, maybe this can be modded or changed in the ini. If that's the case, I'd love if someone knows how to adjust this and can tell me. I've only got the demo at the moment though.

You can't be serious? If that wasn't designed to simply let people know you have a good computer then I'm just amazed you think that's an issue.

I feel that if i'm spending more time waiting between turns than executing orders then thats not much fun.

Regarding your point on me quoting my computer type - I really am genuinely disapointed to have saved up for a long time to buy a pc that lets me play on newish games to find that its really slow on CIV5, as the civ games are really my favourites.

Should i assume from your commment that the 5 second wait is about normal, and other players experience this also? :confused:

I'm glad every other Civ game released perfectly and didn't require any expansions or mods to satisfy the nay-sayers.

I hadn't played CivIV in a while so I checked the mods...it's no wonder you guys think CivV sucks. There are enough mods to satisfy everyone's desired gameplay.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377209 <-- Although, I guess CivIV isn't perfect either :( WHAT SHALL WE DO

I don't think Civ 5 sucks. I'm having moderate enjoyment playing it.

I just don't think it's worthy of the Civ monika.

As well as numerous flaws, it also lacks the sense of wonder that Civs 1-4 generated.

Just in case you're thinking I'm growing old and losing my sense of wonder and becoming a middle aged misanthrope, I played Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity, and it sucked me in like Civ 5 never will. Sins is the best 4X game since Civ 4.

If Sid was trying to appeal to a new generation of pocket megalomaniacs, he has failed miserably. If he was trying to make a game that appeals to the fan base, then he has failed miserably.

Top Bottom