What to do with an extinct religion?

draaibaar

Warlord
I've conquered Byzantium and it's capital Constantinople which is the Holy City of Hinduism. I've captured a Hinduist Great Prophet but in the religion screen Hinduism is gone, also their beliefs. The only thing which come up is to send the Great Prophet to another Holy City and frustrate the owners. :crazyeye:

EDIT: I don't have a religion of my own, I would have liked it if I could make it my own religion. It wasn't even enhanced yet. Don't understand why she didn't use her prophet to enhance her religion.

Is the religion truly gone? Have you checked neighboring cities to see if that religion has followers in other locations?

Somehow the image of the Daleks (from Dr. Who) loudly stating "You will be exterminated!" keeps going through my head.

Is the religion truly gone? Have you checked neighboring cities to see if that religion has followers in other locations?....

There are a few Hinduist city's, Constantinople of cause, and a few others, but without beliefs this means nothing any more.

When a religion gets its holy city captured (or when it's founding civ is eliminated), it often no longer appears under the Religion screen. The religion still exists and the beliefs still work, you just can't easily reference it which can make it annoying.

You basically have two choices -- embrace the captured religion (sometimes they have better beliefs than you) or send a prophet of your religion over to the holy city and convert everyone there to your faith. Eventually Hinduism will slowly return, but that's what inquisitors are for. :devil:

Eliminate it as a majority religion from every city, and make sure your own religious pressure on the ex-civ's holy city is higher than that holy city's pressure. It's about all you can do. With a captured GP like that just send it out to far foreign lands to screw with their own religion while not interfering with yours.

I have heard people say you can totally eliminate the religion but I have not found this to be true. Even when its removed from the 'world religions' list you can still see the chosen beliefs in the beliefs section. GP'ing or using an inquisitor on the holy city will indeed drop it to zero followers, but the internal pressure will continue to apply and gradually reacquire followers again, as well as neighboring cities. As long as that is the only "font" of pressure though, and the city is outmatched, it will never reassert itself.

Eliminate it as a majority religion from every city, and make sure your own religious pressure on the ex-civ's holy city is higher than that holy city's pressure. It's about all you can do. With a captured GP like that just send it out to far foreign lands to screw with their own religion while not interfering with yours.

I have heard people say you can totally eliminate the religion but I have not found this to be true. Even when its removed from the 'world religions' list you can still see the chosen beliefs in the beliefs section. GP'ing or using an inquisitor on the holy city will indeed drop it to zero followers, but the internal pressure will continue to apply and gradually reacquire followers again, as well as neighboring cities. As long as that is the only "font" of pressure though, and the city is outmatched, it will never reassert itself.

I don't have a religion of my own, I would have liked it if I could have made it my own religion. It wasn't even enhanced yet. Don't understand why she didn't use her prophet to enhance her religion.

The beliefs are also disappeared from the beliefs section!

When a religion gets its holy city captured (or when it's founding civ is eliminated), it often no longer appears under the Religion screen. The religion still exists and the beliefs still work, you just can't easily reference it which can make it annoying.

This. :rolleyes: Can you check if the beliefs are still working and it's just a matter of reporting issue? never run into it myself so far...
If they're still working (what they should!), you could do as you wanted and spread your stolen religion!

I would suggest to comment that in the G&K bug report...

Oh, well I do agree it sucks if you hadn't founded one yourself. Really, if you never founded a religion and you destroy a civ that had a holy city, you oughta be able to 'take over' theirs. Or some such condition.

You could have a single enclave of another religion within your empire. I remember in one game I played, the Huns established Tengriism in their last city before I conquered them, but their beliefs were pretty useful for that city so I let it stay. He took the +1 culture to plantations bonus and had a bunch of spices around that city, and he had chosen Mosques as his follower belief, so I bought one after I annexed it. Small pockets of Tengriists existed in a number of cities around the Hunnic homelands, more or less tolerated as an alternate faith. I sent out no inquisitors, and though their holy city never converted to my religion, it didn't convert many other cities either. It was rather interesting.

I currently on a game, small map, that didn't manage to get a religion. So left both Hinduism and Buddhism spread, from Kamehameha and Russia, to my empire.
However these two declared war on me, and after a very tough to win war, I won taking both their capitals and holly cities.
The problem is now, that both religions are extinct from the religion list. I can only see as my own Pantheon bonus, and the remaining two religions. That means I can't revive any of them as my own, even if half my empire is Hindus the other half is Buddhists, with many cities mixed over and I control both the holly cities.
Surely isn't that a bug?

Top Bottom