10 New City States?

I believe Budapest/Bucharest (which ever) changed it's colour without changing type as it replaced Edinburgh.

Question, is there anything stopping devs from simply balacing out each type? why do Militaristic and Religious have to have few city states less than the other three?

Balance reasons. They want to make sure not too many militaristic and religious CS spawn on the map.

They're not going to have Tuscany and Venice.

Do you have a source that Brussels is still light blue? Scrap that, I do remember where I saw it too. If that's the case then it may have just been made into a religious city state, although I can't see why they would do that. They could have made either Florence or Bucharest a replacement for Marrakesh as well, and added a new religious city state, that is still possible too.
They're not going to have Tuscany AND Venice, but for all we know, Florence and Venice could both be cities in the new civ, whatever they called it. I don't particularly believe it's true, but it seems like a significantly less far-out suggestion than them for no apparant reason making Brussels religious.

A third explanation might simply be that there are even more new city states that we don't know of, so that the total of Cultured/Mercantile/Maritime is in fact 13 or 14.

They're not going to have Tuscany AND Venice, but for all we know, Florence and Venice could both be cities in the new civ, whatever they called it. I don't particularly believe it's true, but it seems like a significantly less far-out suggestion than them for no apparant reason making Brussels religious.

A third explanation might simply be that there are even more new city states that we don't know of, so that the total of Cultured/Mercantile/Maritime is in fact 13 or 14.

They've only had even numbers of city states so far for the types, so it would be more likely to be 14 than 13 surely.

Why would they make a Tuscany-Venice civ with colours off the Venetian Flag with the title "Most Serene"? It's not going to happen, we just haven't see Florence yet.

Could it be with 16 different potential colours the devs try to max out the city-states with 16 different for each type? Even with fewer religious and militaristic for balance purposes we could have a few more city-states to see for all types without having to switch Florence or Brussels type.

Could it be with 16 different potential colours the devs try to max out the city-states with 16 different for each type? Even with fewer religious and militaristic for balance purposes we could have a few more city-states to see for all types without having to switch Florence or Brussels type.

They could, but we'd have more of a suggestion by now surely. If it's not 12-12-12-8-8 though it would most likely be 14-14-14-8-8, but we'll see.

I'm hopping for some more amerindian city states, especially since we won't likely be seeing a mesoamerican or andean civ. Wari (Peru) as mercantile and Monte Alban (Zapotec) as militaristic make sense to me.

Brussels is a Cultured city-state. I saw it in the Policies and Ideologies Featurette. Its above the New Era screen.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 179
I would like to see some of these city-states in the game:

Dubai (Mercantile)
Mexico City (Mercantile)
Luxembourg City (Cultured)
Kuwait city (Mercantile)
Alckland or Wellington (Maritime)
Havana (I doubt, but I think it would Cultured)
Lagos (Cultured)
Macau (Mercantile or Maritime)
Mogadishu (Militaristic)
Tula Xicocotitlan (Militaristic or Religious)
Santiago (Cultured)
Bogotá (Cultured or Mercantile)
Harare (Mercantile)
Port au Prince (Cultured)
Luanda (Cultured or Mercantile)
Caral - considered the oldest city of the Americas (Religious)
Karachi (Cultured)
Lima (Cultured)
Dhaka (Mercantile)
Taipei (Mercantile)
Ticuna - one of the largest Indigenous peoples in Brazil, not sure if it was the city-state, but would like to see in the game (Cultured or Militaristic)
Toronto (Mercantile)
Mohenjo Daro (Religious or Cultured)

Agreed, there would be many better choices for a religious city state than Brussels, (or Florence or Antananarivo). The latter also screws up "the formula", no? So are there even more city states around for diversity? Sth like 14-14-14-10-10? Which would mean that the chance of not getting any city state of a particular type on a smaller map rises, right?

We'll see...

not necessarily. the probability of one CS to be of a typeA is #CSofTypeA/#Cs (so here 14/72 or 10/72)
The probability of a CS to not be of type A is 1-#CSofTypeA/#Cs
The probability of not having type A on the map is (1-#CSofTypeA/#Cs)^#cs

so basically it all comes down to how the ratio of citie states of a given type changes or not.
The ratios didn t move much

I hope to see how cities states:

Dubai (Mercantile)
Mexico City (Mercantile)
Alckland or Wellington (Maritime)
Lagos (Cultured)
Macau (Mercantile or Maritime)
Tula Xicocotitlan (militaristic or Religious)
Santiago (Cultured)
Bogotá (Cultured or Mercantile)
Luanda (Cultured or Mercantile)
Caral (Religious)
Karachi (Cultured)
Taipei (Mercantile)
Toronto (Mercantile)
Havana (I doubt, but I think it would Cultured)

Havana should surely be Mercantile - they'll never include cigars as a resource in a Civ game, but everyone will get the association.

I'd like Teotihuacan (Religious), Knossos (Cultured), Great Zimbabwe (Mercantile) and Troy (Militaristic) - and yes, Macau (Maritime better than Mercantile) and Dubai or Abu Dhabi (Mercantile).

The evidence provided could pretty much mean that Antanarivo is in Zulu's city list. Because from I recall that's where we saw it, under Zulu's control.

Even given some of the stretches made in the past to fill the Zulu city list, Antanarivo as a Zulu city would be the most bizarre choice in Civ history (as in, on a par with giving the Huns Mayapan, and worse than US cities in the Iroquois list). Besides which, since the Zulu can use city names from their previous Civ incarnations, and Tana wasn't in any of them, why extend their list to include wholly unrelated cities?

Of the remaining unseen city-states carrying over from G&K or the ones that we haven't confirmed the type, none of them strike me as a good choice to switch to religious. I propose that there will be a new religious city-state. We just haven't seen it yet. There must be some African city that has a religious provenance.

Or they just keep it at an odd number.

Antananarivo could conceivably be a religious CS - it's not a particularly obvious fit, but then none are any other CS types, and modern Madagascar is both devoutly Catholic and very strongly influenced by indigenous spiritual beliefs (the latter not in the capital, but if Tana's in it's likely to represent an approximation of Madagascar as a whole).

Africa is home to several holy cities - the best option might be Ife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ife

It is 99% certain that Antanarivo is a new city state. There is 0.99% possibility that it is on Indonesian city list. There is 0,01% change that it is on Zulu city list - it is always possible the defs just dont care anymore.

The Merina are ethnically Malay, but they aren't Indonesian by any stretch, any more than the Polynesians are - the island was colonised long before any recognisable Indonesian society emerged. Singapore and KL would be on the Indonesian list before Tana.

Besides which, even historical Indonesian cities such as Trowulan appear to be absent from the Indonesian city list.

So I'm guessing that it's not just a CS for the SFA scenario since Valletta is also on their city list.

There's no reason for Poland to be in the SFA scenario (particularly with Krakow or other European cities), or Tyre (in that screenshot as a CS), so that's plainly not a screenshot from the scenario.

And while I've agitated for a Merina civ in the past, neither Merina nor Madagascar fits the alphabet and in any case we know one of the remaining civs is European and have good reason to believe the other is North American.

i
t shouldn't be too hard to deduce right? lets look at the in game religions and compare it to their respective holy cities. which religions don't have a corresponding in game holy city as a religious city state?

let me try to remember all the religions in game.

Protestantism
Catholicism
Eastern Orthodox
Shinto
Buddhism
Sikhism
Islam
Confucianism
Zoroastrianism
Hinduism

Nearly all of them (plus Tengriism, missing from your list). A number have holy cities in civ city lists (such as Mecca and Medina), but Jerusalem and Lhasa are the only holy cities for any of these religions that's a city-state (and Jerusalem is also a holy city for Judaism, also missing from your list). I'd like to see Kandy as a religious CS, and it is a Buddhist holy city (which Kathmandu isn't). Toledo (a city that I'd like as a CS, but was imagining as mercantile given the historical value of Toledo steel) was also a medieval religious centre.

EDIT: I forgot Wittenberg and Vatican City.

isn't it theorized that the Majapahit controlled Madagascar at one point?

If so, only by people who know nothing of Malagasy history (which in fairness is the vast majority) and who presumably based that "theory" on the Malay ethnicity of the Merina. The Merina are of Malay origin in the same way as the Polynesians; a later divergence based on their language, but also based on that language much earlier than the establishment of any Malay state. In fact, recent evidence suggests that Madagascar was first colonised earlier than the accepted date of 2,000 years ago, and it's accepted that the first colonists were from what's now Indonesia - African migration to the island came later.

The unification of Madagascar is actually fairly well-documented as it coincided European contact, and was a wholly indigenous development (at least initially - the British particularly endorsed and helped solidify Merina dominance over the island), having nothing to do with any Indonesian contact.

Does anybody know anything about Antananarivo, would it make sense for it to be Religious? Interesting implications for Florence and in turn the supposed Venice civ.

It's not seemed especially religious on any of my visits there, but as above Madagascar as a whole is. Tana's in the middle of Madagascar's high central plateau, so Maritime's out. It was, I understand, somewhat militarised during the communist era, but Militaristic makes very little sense. Madagascar has fascinating indigenous cultures, but has had no wider cultural relevance so it makes little sense as a Cultural CS. Mercantile might be an outside option (Madagascar's the world's primary source of natural vanilla), but given the country's economic nosedive during its communist era and its current status as one of the world's poorest countries, it would a pretty odd fit.

There are loads of potential holy cities. Check out this list just for Buddhism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_pilgrimage

Half of these are temples, mountains or other holy sites rather than cities, however I would love Bagan or Luang Prabang as city-states, and with no Khmer civ Angkor Thom would fit well (or even, if the developers went the lazy route and just took the best-known temple as a "city", Angkor Wat).

The Merina are ethnically Malay, but they aren't Indonesian by any stretch, any more than the Polynesians are - the island was colonised long before any recognisable Indonesian society emerged. Singapore and KL would be on the Indonesian list before Tana.

Actually, there were at least two waves of migration. One of them precedes any Kingdom in Indonesia, but there were also immigrants from the Srivijaya period. There is still zero chances for Antananarivo to be on an Indonesian city-list or a Zulu one :)crazyeye:).

By the way, did you know what Hitler planned for Madagascar?

Brussels is a Cultured city-state. I saw it in the Policies and Ideologies Featurette. Its above the New Era screen.

Amazing catch!

Seems we're now onto the idea of Marrakesh not being replaced then, and one of Florence or Bucharest being mercantile now and a new religious city state being added. Either that are there really are more new city states coming (more than just one that is). Based on colours it would seem it's Bucharest in that case, but that doesn't exactly make sense... Maybe there really is just more cultural city states or even more city states all together being added. Hopefully the next release of information will tell us something in that regard.

Again, outstanding catch, if there were an Olympic event for spotting that one frame where we can find information on a city state, you'd be a red hot favourite for the Gold.

Nearly all of them (plus Tengriism, missing from your list). A number have holy cities in civ city lists (such as Mecca and Medina), but Jerusalem and Lhasa are the only holy cities for any of these religions that's a city-state (and Jerusalem is also a holy city for Judaism, also missing from your list). I'd like to see Kandy as a religious CS, and it is a Buddhist holy city (which Kathmandu isn't). Toledo (a city that I'd like as a CS, but was imagining as mercantile given the historical value of Toledo steel) was also a medieval religious centre.

Just out of interest, why do you highlight Toledo as a favoured possibility for a CS? It is fairly prominent on Spain's city list, and despite its historical importance, including spells as capital of Castile and, even earlier, Visigothic Spain, that importance hardly rests on its very brief independence of both Cordoba and Castile in the mid-eleventh century. Seems an open and shut case to me. It belongs on Spain's list, and lo and behold is to be found there.

Would a religious city state for shia work, like wittenburg for protestantism? Possible cities would be Najaf, Kufa and Karbala. Kufa is already in though as a city for Araba I believe.

Top Bottom