10 Things You Aren't Doing in BNW (But Should)

Jatta Pake

Warlord
These are my top ten things new players should be doing in BNW but are not:

10. Pillage - Pillaging enemy improvements damages the improvement making it unusable by the enemy. It also gives +25 health and some gold. AI will consider surrendering if you are devastating their territory.
9. Use Great Generals to create Citadels - The AI cannot figure out how to take out a Citadel and will waste endless units on it. Any enemy unit ending it's turn on or adjacent to a Citadel automatically takes -30 damage. You don't need to have a unit stationed inside for this benefit! However, it is worth having a unit that can absorb some punishment because the Zones of Control will mean any enemy moving through the area will end more turns on or near the Citadel. The Citadel also steals territory so it's fun to rob an AI when they spawn near you of their precious luxuries.
8. Open Tradition, Liberty, and Honor - The opener for all three policies gives you culture which you need to get even more policies. Additionally, each make a Wonder available to build. Don't bother going down a single policy path until you've opened all three. And the Tradition opener gives you +3 Culture per turn for the entire game so it helps you open other policies faster if you go Tradition first. Some will debate the value of opening Honor but if you turn on Raging Barbarians, the Honor opener outshines Liberty in culture production.
7. Build an Archer - A pop 3 city with an Archer can usually hold off an AI invasion force of three warriors and three archers. The game is highly skewed towards defense in the early game making warfare a losing proposition for attackers.
6. Open Patronage and Open Consulates, Then Promise to Protect Every City State - For the cost of two social policies, you can become Friendly with every City State on the map and gain all of their attendant bonuses. This is required if you have Venice, Greece, and/or Austria in the game and you don't want them to win early with a Diplomatic Victory.
5. Build a Scout as Your First Build - Scouts with Honor opened are great Barbarian killers at the beginning of the game. Don't try to explore the world with your Warrior. It's too slow and can't get to goody huts before the AI. A Scout popping a single goody hut will pay for itself in early Science, gold, population, culture or faith.
4. Use Internal Trade Routes - The food and production hammers generated by an internal trade route are bonuses. They don't take away any food or production from the city of origin. This is counter-intuitive and most players don't realize it. Bonus food is especially critical has high Pop cities are very important.
3. It's Better to Be Broke Than Unhappy - Falling into the red with negative gold per turn will pull from Science but it won't cripple you. Falling into negative happiness (unhappiness) is far more destructive. It stops your city growth (which is critical as one Pop 30 city is worth six Pop 10 cities). It also reduces production and war fighting ability. And you need production as it is often the only viable way to boost Happiness with new buildings. Losing a war is always bad period. If you are broke, you can always immediately disband your Workers for some quick cash and get a boost to gold per turn.
2. Sell Minor Conquested Cities To The AI - Cities are often rubbish after a conquest. The people are unhappy, the best buildings have been destroyed, and you generally have to invest some gold into making it a viable addition to your empire. It's much more strategically useful to have another AI take over the city. They act as a buffer and can make two distant civs share a border. If they are belligerent with each other, it may spark a war between the two.
1. Liberate Crap Cities and Annex Capitals- Bringing City States and dead Civs back to life often gives you an ally for the rest of the game. But always keep a Capital for yourself. They are often worth investing in to make them a viable city in your empire. Especially if they have Wonders and Great Works of Art.

8. Open Tradition, Liberty, and Honor - The opener for all three policies gives you culture which you need to get even more policies. Additionally, each make a Wonder available to build. Don't bother going down a single policy path until you've opened all three. And the Tradition opener gives you +3 Culture per turn for the entire game so it helps you open other policies faster if you go Tradition first. Some will debate the value of opening Honor but if you turn on Raging Barbarians, the Honor opener outshines Liberty in culture production.

Due to the exponentially increasing costs of social policies it isn't a good idea to get a policy just for the culture it generates.

I do most of these. Definitely the scout as first build and the archer as city protection/worker guard. Also, the magical food-doubling-in-transit is a great, if unrealistic, feature.

Things that I don't necessarily do: Promise to protect CS--When I am trying to play peaceful/economic, doing this will often put me at odds with another civ that likes to demand tribute. I find that with consulates, quests and gold gifts, I can usually keep CS allies without pledging to protect them. Opening honor--I don't necessarily do this unless it looks like I've got alot of barbs to deal with early in the game. I do often open tradition, liberty and patronage, although I generally only finish tradition (or in some cases liberty instead).

I was actually wondering if taking the first one in two trees you don't intend on finishing wouldn't set you back from finishing the one you do intend to finish. Good to know.

Not sure I would tell a new player to turn on raging barbarians, but the Honor opener lets you know when a new barb camp spawns, so even on normal barbarian mode, you're never wanting for roaming barbs to kill.

6. Open Patronage and Open Consulates, Then Promise to Protect Every City State - For the cost of two social policies, you can become Friendly with every City State on the map and gain all of their attendant bonuses. This is required if you have Venice, Greece, and/or Austria in the game and you don't want them to win early with a Diplomatic Victory.

I would think this would be risky, especially if you've got a warmonger who likes to bully citystates. Now you've got to either take the diplo hit everytime they bully a CS, or lose affection with the CS.

2. Sell Minor Conquested Cities To The AI - Cities are often rubbish after a conquest. The people are unhappy, the best buildings have been destroyed, and you generally have to invest some gold into making it a viable addition to your empire. It's much more strategically useful to have another AI take over the city. They act as a buffer and can make two distant civs share a border. If they are belligerent with each other, it may spark a war between the two.

Forgive my newbishness, but what's the point in conquering a city then? Keep it! Make it your puppet and convert the lands around it to trading posts. Glory to the Empire! :king:

1. Liberate Crap Cities and Annex Capitals- Bringing City States and dead Civs back to life often gives you an ally for the rest of the game. But always keep a Capital for yourself. They are often worth investing in to make them a viable city in your empire. Especially if they have Wonders and Great Works of Art.

I'm pretty sure liberating a CS doesn't make it your perma-ally. And you get do get a diplo-bonus for reviving a dead Civ, but does it out-weigh any other diplo-penalties you might accumulate over the rest of the game?

Thanks for the list though, good food for thought. :goodjob:

Forgive my newbishness, but what's the point in conquering a city then? Keep it! Make it your puppet and convert the lands around it to trading posts. Glory to the Empire! :king:

It's one less city your enemy has to use against you, and sometimes it's just not worth the extra unahpiness if you are still waging war. Sell to a friend for cash, and heal up within the borders (if you have open borders) before mounting an assault on the next city. It's a bit of a cheap move, but it also prevents the AI taking back a city you might not be able to defend.

Thanks for the list though, good food for thought. :goodjob:

Most AI founded cities are crap, and will be a happiness drain on your empire whether puppetted or annexed.

So lets say your fighting a war with the dominant civ in your game, you take a crappy city then gift to to a less threatening civ. You dont deal with the happiness penalties but are still taking away production, luxuries etc from the Civ you are fighting.

It's one less city your enemy has to use against you, and sometimes it's just not worth the extra unahpiness if you are still waging war.....it also prevents the AI taking back a city you might not be able to defend.
That was what I was thinking, too. Plus, I would be concerned about the hit that we take on science with each city we own or control.

I do have a question regarding citadels, though. Does the damage stack? If I have three citadels, spaced one hex apart, and someone tries to thread between them, will their unit take damage from more than one citadel on the same turn?

7. Build an Archer - A pop 3 city with an Archer can usually hold off an AI invasion force of three warriors and three archers. The game is highly skewed towards defense in the early game making warfare a losing proposition for attackers.
Plus: Station a Galeass in your coastal cities for an extra ranged defender

I disagree with the Scout one..

They aren't good barbarian killers, even with Honor, Brutes are tiny bit stronger than Scouts, and with the crazy spawning rate of Barbarians Scouts actually are more likely to get killed, and they can't get the attack bonuses that normal melee units can (rough and smooth terrain).

What? No, no. That might be a fun way you enjoy playing, but it's not good advice for leveling up.

10 - Yeah, pillaging is in a good place right now.
9 - I think a lot of people know this one... but for those who don't, it's a very good alternative when taking a city is unworkable.
8 - I sometimes open Honor and sometimes not. The opener is certainly worthwhile even if you don't take any other Honor policies.
7 - Probably good advice... but I only build one archer near the start and it's usually the third or fourth unit.
6 - Yeah, about nine out of ten games I can't resist getting Consulates.
5 - Agreed, my first unit is a scout virtually all of the time
4 - Apples to the capital by ship is just crazy. It's why when I'm feeling complacent (and the game allows it) I go full tradition and pump apples to the capital. I have a bias towards coastal locations pretty much based on this.
3 - Interesting to know that running out of gold isn't so world-ending.
2 - I've heard talk of this one, haven't tried it myself.
And my response to the number one Thing You Aren't Doing in BNW (But Should)... *drumroll*
1 - Yeah, sounds reasonable (I haven't even gotten the opportunity to liberate yet in BNW).
0 - That ship has sailed a looooong time ago.

You can move Great Works to your other cities, so a captured city having a Great Work is no reason to keep it.

To your first point;
I was playing as Venice earlier, and despite my position being absurdly well protected (Only two land routes in, and both are through tight mountain passes), the Indonesians (Who enveloped me to the east) decided to give it a go. They couldn't get past my units in the mountains, but wouldn't give up. I decided to try pillaging, since I've not done much of it before. I built a horde of knights and sent them all throughout the Indonesian lands, pillaging everything in sight (Beginning with strategic/luxury resources, then farms, then mines).

Within two or three turns they offered me a peace deal, even being so generous as to give me 40 gold per turn. :)

In general, this is a solid list. It does a good job of making new players aware of options and game elements that they may not otherwise be aware of. For example, I was happy to see pillaging make the list, as well the general concept of "just because you captured a city doesn't mean you should keep it." It's also concise and easy for a new player to follow.

Some mention of the National College would be good. And number three would benefit from mentioning that, at (-5 gp) and lower, your units will start disbanding at one per turn.

The only serious issue I have with the list is #8 ("Open Tradition, Liberty, and Honor") : this is not appropriate on a list for new players. This is a very specific strategy and it limits a new player to a specific playstyle. It is similar to having an item on list entitled "Only play as Poland" - it may not be bad advice, per se, but it is still much too limiting for a new player. Part of learning the game is experimenting with initial policies and discovering what works best for each person.

I disagree with the Scout one..

They aren't good barbarian killers, even with Honor, Brutes are tiny bit stronger than Scouts, and with the crazy spawning rate of Barbarians Scouts actually are more likely to get killed, and they can't get the attack bonuses that normal melee units can (rough and smooth terrain).

They are good once there is no more exploring to do. Promote the scout up the survival skills side and then camp them next to a barb camp in some woods.

With honor, the barbs won't kill that scout until they get rifles, or unless you let him get surrounded, or they bring ranged. Most of the time barbs will kill themselves attacking him.

But it takes time and if you could be exploring instead, not worth it.

Anyone else save up their barbarians?

In the early game I don't kill barbs. Just wound them until they are almost dead. Then when I get honor I have a barb feast, wipe out all the half dead barbs for much culture.

The list is ok for the most part but...

NEVER DO #8.

Think about this for a second, you are opening a policy that gives you 1 culture per city at the cost of how much culture?

This strategy would likely never pay for itself, especially opening all 3. Only do this if you really have no other policies you would rather have ( unlikely, finishing tradition early is way more powerful).

Top Bottom