Pre-FC/CrezNES Thread: 1836

If I were you, I'd increase tariffs, keep taxes the same or you may well get a coup, and gradually and carefully disband the irregulars and some of the junks, enough to give you a bit of budget surplus to spend on economic development, while very openly publicising the rationale for doing so and earmarking the money for projects that bring specific and tangible benefits to the Greek people. You can't afford to keep such a relatively large military force in the circumstances, and there's no need for one unless you're going to attack someone, which I advise you don't.

but, but (the hellenes protest) the Turks! How can we disband our glorious legions when the eternal enemy is right next door :p

By telling the disbanded irregulars they still count as "reserves" and then calling them up again in an emergency, and telling the Greeks that reserves still count as part of the army as such? I mean, they are irregulars.

I suppose it is Christos' job, if he commits to such a course of action, to convince them of the necessity of the action and of why it isn't detrimental to the nations security. Otherwise it is rather risky removing the shackles from a bunch of armed men currently in the states service since if discontent is high it risks the sudden creation of an armed and potentially insurrectionary force, ergo a coup.

That is what Otto did and a coup he got.

That's why you have to do it slowly and carefully, and convince them and everybody else that it is a good idea. I'd say high taxes are just as dangerous as a solution.

The budget deficit is the result of extended wasteful spending by the Ottonian government! Big government has spent too long suckling upon the public teat! Greeks are taxed enough already, while government spending has driven inflation through the roof and devalued our currency! Its just like Rome!

The only way Greece can exit from looming bankruptcy is if it ends spending and taxation in its entirety, withdraws from foreign wars, and allows the free market to function as intended! Ron Paul 1836!

(not srs)

Seriously though, I think talking about what Greece should be doing is a bit premature given the NES hasn't started yet. I have a few questions for Crezth since 1830s economic history is not my strong suit.

1. How prevalent is the idea of free trade in the Smithian ideal at this point? I know at some point in the 1800s Britain started pushing for it globally because Britain would be the one to maximally benefit, but when did that start?
2. How prevalent are limited free trade agreements and customs union type arrangements? At what point historically did these become prevalent?

You could try borrowing some money, and using it to build some factories, into which you could give your irregulars the chance of disbanding, a solution that potentially, if done right, gives you workers for your factories, balances the books, gives increased income and the means for repaying the loan, and provides employment and ensures dependence on the state for the disbanded troops. Clearly something like that would have to be diplomatically handled, very careful, and optional on the part of the individual soldiers (and subject to consultation beforehand), but it might be an idea worth considering and might kill several birds with one stone. It might be overambitious, though.

Letters from Bavaria: A Lesson in Governance of an Unruly People

except for the part where the son saw the future and predicted his own demise

the father concluded he was crazy and had his son confined to an institution

fin

You could try borrowing some money, and using it to build some factories, into which you could give your irregulars the chance of disbanding, a solution that potentially, if done right, gives you workers for your factories, balances the books, gives increased income and the means for repaying the loan, and provides employment and ensures dependence on the state for the disbanded troops. Clearly something like that would have to be diplomatically handled, very careful, and optional on the part of the individual soldiers (and subject to consultation beforehand), but it might be an idea worth considering and might kill several birds with one stone. It might be overambitious, though.

Great idea. I will try it. :)

except for the part where the son saw the future and predicted his own demise

the father concluded he was crazy and had his son confined to an institution

fin

Foresight, especially reasonable and cautious foresight, isn't that bad of a skill :3.

christos200 said:
Who started war against Belgium?
The Netherlands is still, I believe, technically at war with Belgium.

spryllino said:
Also, it's a terrible idea trying to balance your books by borrowing money

That's trite and, well, wrong.

spryllino said:
You could try borrowing some money, and using it to build some factories, into which you could give your irregulars the chance of disbanding, a solution that potentially, if done right, gives you workers for your factories, balances the books, gives increased income and the means for repaying the loan, and provides employment and ensures dependence on the state for the disbanded troops.
To wit, the Greeks want mountains of cash to splash out on a highly speculative investment to soak up a workforce of dubious economical and political reliability to be managed and implemented by a government of dubious competence and skill using funds it has vanishingly little hope of ever paying back except in the most ridiculously hand-wavey of circumstances.

Better go to war and grant your irregulars lands in the conquered territory. That always works (?)

Sure, he could do that. But there will be consequences:

Masada said:
I will be particularly annoyed if anyone tries to make bank out of Belgium (see below) or opens up the Italian/Eastern [Turkish] Questions.

In fairness, an Ottoman invasion of Greece would also constitute an opening up of the Turkish Question. I'm an equal opportunities Great Power.

I do not have money to pay for domestic spending, do you expect me to pay for a war? It will end up like the Crimean War in the 1850's, when British and French soldiers occupied Greece.

1. How prevalent is the idea of free trade in the Smithian ideal at this point? I know at some point in the 1800s Britain started pushing for it globally because Britain would be the one to maximally benefit, but when did that start? 2. How prevalent are limited free trade agreements and customs union type arrangements? At what point historically did these become prevalent?
1. Classical theory is getting its feet wet: we are actually at the time just before Britain's historic free trade push (the corn laws being repealed and so forth). This is a simplification.
2. Well you have the Zollverein in Germany, a customs union of almost all of the cute little German states where Prussia gets to play papa. Nevertheless, large free trade agreements weren't awfully "common" for at least some time.

Top Bottom