SKNES III: Bullets with Butterfly Wings

From Javier Benito, American Consul in Hue
To the Vietnamese Government

Ahem.

The Vietnamese consul in Mexico City sends his complements and apologizes for overlooking our trans-Pacific friends when inviting parties to the diplomatic dinner. Our clumsy diplomat forgot to look at the opposite end of the map when dispatching invitational telegrams. We hope that this will not jeopardize relations between our countries, as mistakes are nearly unavoidable.

OOC: Want an alliance? (Kidding, of course!)

To: Austria
CC: Sardinia, Saxony-Bavaria, All Other Concerned Parties

We are greatly disturbed by Austrian attempts -- we stress attempts -- to assemble a haphazard coalition on the continent bent towards Austrian interests. This prostitution diplomacy speaks poorly of the good faith in which the Austrian emperor supposedly negotiates for peace and prosperity in Europe and besmirches the good name of the Hapsburg house. Her Majesty is more prosaic in her concern that these alliances, compacts and agreements all seem aimed at disrupting France and its interests and allies in Europe, which have remained peaceful and in conference with the Austrian emperor for some time. Particularly galling to Her Majesty is the condescension of the Austrian emperor to His Holiness the Pope, Lamb of God, in demanding that the Holy See act as a rubber stamp for the Austrian government. We warn all the kingdoms and republics of Europe against doing any business with the Austrian government, which is clearly opportunistic and without moral compunction. We are considering our various options to combat Austria's disrespect for French good will and disinterest in the balance of power.

To: The Holy See

Her Majesty Queen Anne, a good Catholic, is disturbed and offended by the condescension of the Austrian emperor to his betters. The one true church is a beacon of light, knowledge and purity in the cold secular world of European politics, and we all shall rue the day that the church is put to shame by falling to the beck and call of any king or emperor. Not herself being sacrilegious, Her Majesty leaves it to Il Papa how best to punish the Austrian emperor for his disrespect and disloyalty to the Church, but expects that the Holy See will never denigrate itself by taking the orders of a king.

To: Vietnam
CC: Other Concerned Parties

France has very little faith that anything good can come from the Vietnamese attempting to court all of Europe at once. We caution against any such conference, particularly considering the currently schizophrenic nature of Vietnamese diplomacy, as it may give certain states the idea that Vietnam is a realm to be manipulated and placed under foreign rule. If Vietnam has any concerns to address to Her Majesty Queen Anne and the Kingdom of France our foreign ministry will be glad to accept any envoys the emperor might consent to send.

To: Sardinia

In light of recent events which threaten to disrupt the balance of power in Europe, Her Majesty's government calls upon Sardinia to reaffirm its commitment to friendship and cooperation with the Kingdom of France, and re-light the flames of our historic camraderie and common cause.

To: Louisiana

We of course look forward to a direct trading relationship with Louisiana, and will address our interests in this matter in private to the Louisianan government.

From Austria
To France

France is the power which has disrupted the balance time and again, expanding little by little against the Holy Roman Empire back when it existed, and stealing it's rightful lands piece by piece.

Austria does not want to fight another war. But by our predictions, we will have no choice. The frank truth is that Europe is a continent which has had many wars, and that Austria, in truth, is the weakest of the four Great Powers. To defend what is ours, we need strong alliances.

From Austria
To The Holy See

When the King of France consents to abolish his own Constitution in accordance with Your Holiness's request, then he can argue that he is on even terms.

I know that I have asked a lot of you, but this is because I am greatly afraid of a revolt. Abolishing the Constitution could lead to a revolt that will destroy the Austrian state. If we are to ensure our survival, desperate measures must be taken.

As a token of good faith, we are willing to guarentee that if Italy attacks His Holiness, or anybody else, in his remaining territories, we will go to war with them.

From Austria
To the Holy See, France

The Austrian Emperor wants to march into Italy and restore the Papal States, but cannot for fear of our interests being attacked. If we can work in coalition with France against Italy, we would be willing to march together to restore the old kingdoms and defeat Italy.

To: Europe
CC: France

We are not to be associated with the recent diplomatic-wise aggression expressed by Austria. Their actions, or words, do not at all reflect the will or sentiment of the Kingdom of Prussia, or our diplomatic offices. War is something we wish to avoid, overall, and the recent war-mongering so blatantly professed by them is not something we at all wish to be associated with.

To: The World
CC: Austria, Prussia

We echo the sentiments of Prussia. We seek to distance ourselves from the aggressive posturing of Austria-Hungary.

In related news, we've just agreed to a defensive alliance with the Kingdom of Prussia.

From Austria
To Prussia

Though we have reason to suspect that you greedily eye Silesia, you are still our allies. We will still need your support in the event that France declares war on us. We are not willing to annul said alliance.

Austria has no intention of aggression, except insofar as His Holiness would request it of us. Given this, we would request you not breach faith with us.

From Austria
To World

People accuse the Austrian state of warmongering. This is utterly ludicrous. So that nobody can doubt us, we should lay out our case.

First, Italy. It is true that we wish to try and restore His Holiness's Papal States to him. However, we have no intention of taking lands on such an expedition unless France does, thus giving us no choice but to do so to maintain the balance of power. Past Austrian Emperors were guilty of a great wrong by seizing those lands by force. Therefore, modern Austrian Emperors have a duty to correct them.

Second, our German alliances. It is a fact we will not try to deny that militarily Austria is a weaker state than France. Hence, we seek alliances for our own security. The fact these alliances are German give a second benefit- an alliance that, broadly speaking, represents the German states will give a concession to German nationalism without violating anybody's sovereignty.

Third, our internal policy. It is our opinion that His Holiness is the best possible choice for who to consult on any moral matter. If he suggests changes, we should follow them.

We will note at this juncture that the behaviour of Saxony-Bavaria and Prussia is suspicious. So-called defensive alliances can easily have secret offensive clauses. We do not know for sure, but we would not be suprised if they were plotting against us.

To: The World
CC: Austria, Prussia

We echo the sentiments of Prussia. We seek to distance ourselves from the aggressive posturing of Austria-Hungary.

In related news, we've just agreed to a defensive alliance with the Kingdom of Prussia.

Prussia confirms this alliance.

To Prussia and Saxony-Bavaria
From Great Britain
CC: Austria-Hungary

We applaud this move towards peace and stability in Central Europe. We encourage Prussia and Saxony-Bavaria to further increase the chance of peace and further stability by signing a pact with Austria-Hungary. We will always continue to support our friends in Germany and know that you will have British support should any country make any aggressive moves in your collective direction.

To the Louisianian Empire
From Great Britain

We can certainly offer loans at great rates. For a more detailed plan have your Ambassador to London set up a meeting with our Treasurer. (PM me with a price range.)

To our esteemed friends in the American Republic
From Great Britain

While we will leave the matter of Costa Lina and Florida to local matters, we are deeply worried that you have criticized our loyal Dominion in Boston for working towards peace and stability in North America. If you have issues with such a move, you may make your complaint to the Queen in London, for it was with her blessing this deal was approved.

To: France, Great Britain, New England

We are looking to industrialize, and loans and investments could speed this process immensely. Therefore, we plead you more developed countries to help us along this difficult road.

To: New England

We would be willing to take your colonies in the Caribbean off your hands for 10 EP.

To: The Empire of Louisiana

In line with policy from Westminster, the Dominion of New England is willing to offer loans to your nation. Our Ministry of Finance looks forward to hearing from your representatives.

With regards to our presence in the Caribbean, we currently have no intention of selling our properties and removing ourselves from the region. We view our Haitian holdings as a crucial to maintaining oceanic security for trade and commerce.

From Ricardo San Martin, American Minister in Boston
To the Dominion of New England

We find your alliance with the Louisianans most distressing.

To: Américan Republic

A defensive pact was formed with the Empire of Louisiana in the hopes of maintaining continental peace. The pact was sanctioned by Westminster, and we are clearly not bound to, and most certainly will not aid one another in wars of aggression. If it is the view of your administration that this is not an admirable goal, we sincerely wish to hear your opinions on such matters.

To: Great Britain
CC: Saxony-Bavaria, Prussia, Austria, Everyone Else

Our foreign ministry can only be described as being significantly frustrated by the actions of the Austrian government. We cannot conscience Britain exhorting a tripartite alliance between Austria-Hungary, Saxony-Bavaria and Prussia given the present circumstances. We publish here for posterity and in order to protect the peace in Europe a recent missive from the Hapsburg emperor's court to Her Majesty's government.

SKNES III- Diplomacy
From Austria-Hungary
To France

The Austrian Emperor wishes to invade Saxony-Bavaria and conquer it. However, we are aware such an operation would never work without the consent of the King of France.

We therefore wish to negotiate on the matter of what terms it would take for France to proclaim neutrality in such a matter.

NOTE TWO: For the next three months, I make a pledge- if I join an NES, I will not drop it. It's the holidays, so I can pull this off.

Unfortunately we are rapidly reaching the conclusion it may be necessary for Her Majesty's government to suspend its embassy in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and we encourage other nations to do the same, though the presence of ambassadors from France has apparently had little effect in Vienna considering it is the opinion of the Hapsburg emperor that France still has a king. While France has no interest in aggression towards Austria we have every intention of censuring the Austro-Hungarian government for its warmongering. Her Majesty Queen Anne calls on all of Europe to condemn Austrian treachery and blatant sabre-rattling. No people committed to peace, prosperity and the general welfare on the continent can accept this egregious bloodlust.

From Austria-Hungary
To France

That document is an obvious forgery. And given France's long history of aggression, it has no right to condemn us for being aggressive.

To: Virginia

Though we may be separate nations, we were once one. We respect your independence, but we would also like to expand trade between us. What do you say?

We share roots that go back to the days of the Thirteen Colonies. Expanding our relationship can only lead to good things. We will assess our situation, and in the future, perhaps we could work out an agreement on loans for the sake of our economy.

We share roots that go back to the days of the Thirteen Colonies. Expanding our relationship can only lead to good things. We will assess our situation, and in the future, perhaps we could work out an agreement on loans for the sake of our economy.

To: Confederacy of American States

We look forward to hearing from your administration in the near future, and anticipate a future of co-operation and friendship between our two great nations.

To: Prussia, all others in a Defensive Pact with Prussia.

Italy has agreed to a Defensive Pact with Prussia.

To: All who are concerned

Italy would like to declare the Sovereignty Doctrine. This is a foreign policy doctrine regarding non-Italian (Sardinia is fine) powers in Italy. Italy shall allow existing areas in Italy to remain controlled by their owners, but shall strongly discourage any further attempts to annex any more parts of Italy into their empire.

From Austria
To Italy

Your ambitions to annex His Holiness are clear in your words. We should make clear to you this- if you invade the Papacy, we will attack you to defend His Holiness. If that happens, no defensive alliances will save you.

In addition, the Austrian Emperor pledges that if you do so attack, we will dismantle Italy entirely to the point where not a single piece of an Italian state remains.

OOC: NWAG, if you want to "roleplay", I'd advise you to keep in mind that the monarch of Austria-Hungary, whom you are currently portraying, is a liberal, and that ardent Catholicism has been out of vogue for at least a century. You're the guy who shows up to the Renaissance Fair speaking like you just stepped out of Eye of Argon and are eyeing all the buxom wenches, and is then really confused when everyone throws you out.

Roleplaying means knowing the role you want to play, not acting like the love child of Charles II and Kaiser Wilhelm and justifying it using "roleplaying".

OOC: I'm doing this partially in the real world because of my sentimental Catholic background, and partially because I think that being liberal is a very bad idea for a Monarch as in the long run it leads to republican nationalism.

Besides, the Liberal Party is the one that won the elections, not necessarily the one that reflects the Monarch's opinions.

Finally, I find it very hard to play a character with a philosophy so stupid I could knock it down merely from thoughts off the top of my head.

OOC: I'm doing this partially in the real world because of my sentimental Catholic background, and partially because I think that being liberal is a very bad idea for a Monarch as in the long run it leads to republican nationalism.

Besides, the Liberal Party is the one that won the elections, not necessarily the one that reflects the Monarch's opinions.

Finally, I find it very hard to play a character with a philosophy so stupid I could knock it down merely from thoughts off the top of my head.

OOC: Creationists think they can knock the theory of evolution from thoughts off the top of their heads, and yet they are wrong.

Also, your nation's leader is specified to be Liberal, so what you have is just an excuse.

Top Bottom